What does "I'd like to be exclusive" mean?

Dating a guy who said that when he dates he only dates one person, and if he finds out that I'm dating other people then it will be a deal breaker.

So I was under the impression that we weren't seeing anyone else.

Yesterday he said that he'd like to be exclusive and continue to get to know each other, he really likes me (he initiated the "what are we" talk) but is that now what we were doing in the first place?

So my question is: Is "I'd like to be exclusive" the same as we're in a relationship now or is he just reiterating what I already know?

Most Helpful Guy

• Being exclusive is one step behind actually being in relationship, and most people who become exclusive inevitably get into a relationship too!

• Wow, that was quick! Thanks for choosing mine as the most helpful opinion. Much appreciated! :)

What Guys Said 3

• Both really.

• Ask him. Be sure he knows what it means to be exclusive. Exclusive means you two are dating each other, but no one else.

• I'd like 50% of any future revenue, though you have an option to buy back 5% and controlling interest after 2 years as long as you meet the projected profit forecast.

What Girls Said 2

• Same thing. He is repeating his desire to see only you.

• These terms and words mean different things to different people. Just ask him exactly what you just asked us. He shouldn't get offended or think you stupid because he has indicated a change in the relationship dynamic yet it's new status is the same as what you believed it to be so clarification is required.