Why would a guy flirt/ show interest and then stop contacting you?

so i was talking to this guy on plenty of fish. he was the one to message me first. i thought we were really getting along and he was flirting and giving all these compliments. then one day i didn't hear from him for a week. then he messages me again but doesn't respond after i respond. this happens a couple times and then i finally send him a message a couple weeks later and he asks how i am doing but then doesn't respond again. i'm the type of person to believe that if you were really interested, you'd go for it, which leads me to believe he's not. i'm not desperate but i'm still curious, it's one thing to say you're busy and maybe don't respond for hours... but weeks? i want to take the "hint" but then why respond at all if you're no longer interested?

thank you all for your honesty! i figured as much but still wanted a guy's perspective. i'm not waiting on him, but as i said, i was curious, never had someone continue to try and talk to me after it seemed they weren't interested.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless for some reason strange reason he's playing hard to get and knows he's attracted your attention and is just trying to draw you in (Unlikely), he's not interested. I am also I little bit confused, because I would never think to flirt with a girl that I'm not interested in, but that being said I have had plenty of girls mistake me for flirting with them, when I was just being nice.

I give girls compliments all the time, but I don't do it because I'm trying to flirt with them all. Quite the opposite actually, and I'm actually just trying to be nice and make friends with them. Maybe he's not interested, and was just being friendly and then backed off once he realized what you were thinking. That's all I can think of.

I would try to forget him though. If he is still interested in you, trust me he will message you when he's ready to talk...

What Guys Said 3

• He probably likes you and is interested , seriously , or he wouldn't have went for it to start with... when we see a girl online we like , keep in mind we dont know her , we investigate... usually Facebook posts public records , etc... this takes a while... If you girls got some guys hollerin at ya on social media , too many , too close... well you may be considerd "too active" to him , he saw somethin he didn't like... Guys are really just big babies kinda... meet this girl , really like her , then find out several other guys are talkin to her... and usually just friends or she's just bein nice , but still... I see this a lot

• Stop waiting. He is not interested in you. Sorry but that's the truth. I use to text girls and complimented them a lot. But it's not flirting. Trust me he is fishing elsewhere.

• oh you don't have anything to apologize for. but see that's the problem i have though when guys say it's not flirting. they aren't dumb. if you give a girl compliments on her looks and say certain suggestive things she's going to believe you're interested. so if you ignore her at that point you're just a jerk and the baiting thing is actually very hurtful. you can be nice and not be romantic.

• the compliment part isn't what makes them jerks. if you think she looks good, great, but tell her and move on. i don't think every guy that tells me i look nice is hitting on me, but what happens afterwards does make me think that. you give me all this attention, compliment me on my looks, say how much you'd enjoy cuddling, and that you'd stay up late to talk to me etc, ... then nothing? that's not cool. just end it if you're not interested then. sorry if it sounded like i was attacking you personally, I'm not all. i just think that type of behavior in general is too common and very childish.

• I don't take it personally. Well sometimes guys can be confusing. I've expetienced what you are saying. I met a girl online. We exchange numbers and we were texting and talking on phone almost everyday. She used to send me her pictures and voice note and all. We decided to meet. We met with three of her friends. We texted each other after meeting for about a week. But then I decided she was not my type. I had told her that she looks beautiful and all that. I knew she was not my type the moment we met but I feel bad just to cut it off suddenly so I texted her for a while before I drift away. It's out of respect that we don't stopped texting/calling abruptly.

• he's baiting and ghosting you, witch means either someone is already taking care of his needs, or he's not really that interested... but wants to keep you as a back up in-case what he's working on falls through...

What Girls Said 3

• I think on these sites guys throw their lines in the pond to see who nibbles. They reel them in, play with them until they are bored, then check their other catches to be sure they ate still hooked. They don't know what they want, but the more they have dangling the better.

Haha I just realized you are on Plenty of Fish... Bonus points for my analogy lol.

• haha definitely bonus points lol

• He's playing hard to get.

• He's lost interest.

That shiz happens to so many girls on here (including me) that it must be a pretty common thing for guys to do.