Are you turned off by what people did/ did not major in in University?

My friends get on my back because my boyfriends not that smart and I am a microbio major hoping to go into med school.

He's really intelligent and artistic but school's just not really his thing. He's currently an English major but not really taking it seriously and sometimes I just wonder if I should be concerned?

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually don't mind whether or not a girl went to university. But, she must (a) be intelligent and (b) have a career that she is taking seriously. That said, from my observations, most intelligent people did go to university. But, conversely, I would not say most people who went to university are intelligent. University has been really dumbed down. I can tell pretty fast how intelligent someone is. So, I don't need to employ any presumptions.

However, if a girl did go to university, it is a turn-off if she studied certain subjects. It has to be a serious academic subject or a subject that has real worth for a serious career. So, for example, Gender Studies would be a real turn-off. English would be fine. English is a serious academic subject.

What Guys Said 4

• No, it doesn't matter to me at all. I don't think you need to study a certain subject or get a certain type of degree in order to be successful (success = genuine happiness for me).

Your friends sound condescending and snobby, which is the real turnoff here.

• Considering I don't use my degree at all and really gained nothing from college... whatever.

I'm kind of anti-college now. Met some of the stupidest fucking people ever in college.

• I think it's just people who are actually in college being shallow. Once you leave college your degree means nothing I guess.

• @Red_Arrow I didn't say me specifically i mean't people in general. I have a goal with my major but if I wasn't planning on going to medschool I would be just another degree.

• @Red_Arrow
      Of course HER degree means something. It is a precursor to professional school. Most undergraduate degrees do not, these days.

Although I suppose I should bite my tongue now, because you can apply to law school and some other professional schools with ANY undergraduate degree. But you're just creating more debt and more time wasted for yourself if you're not relatively certain you'll have employment.

I'll correct myself: most undergraduate degrees these days are useless.

• Only if it's something like a liberal arts or feminist studies major. Besides that, there aren't a lot of majors that make me instantly gain a negative perspective of the person.

Social anthropology major, just fyi.

• They're probably more turned off that I didn't finish college.

• Give this man MH please

• Take pride in who you are. That's what girls love :)

• Always did. ;)

What Girls Said 4

• I took two semesters of college. One semester I declared myself an English major, the other semester a Photography major.

I flunked both semesters because I didn't give a fuck and was beyond sick of school.

And I only went because of family pressure. Second most expensive regret of my life.

• Not everybody is good in academic but it doesn't mean they won't be successful in life.
    Even famous people didn't have a degree qualification.

This quote is suitable:
    www.simplecapacity.com/.../...ture-quote_thumb.jpg

• i have friends who are really gifted in arts and fare average or badly in other academic subjects. They won't be the successful business man or woman but they are doing something they love, their passion that is design. One of them today is a creative director. Another schoolmate mastered 16 languages and now helping the needy in third world, he used to be a delinquent. They are both successful.

• no... I don't care about it, I don't care whether someone has a degree or not :/ I've met many smart and successful people who didn't graduate college, and also I've met many people who aren't intelligent even if they graduated college lol :P

• Having entered to the university at an early age, for me is a turn off if someone has no degree.