Guys, do you prefer lightskin or darkskin black girls?

I am a brownskinned Black girl and feel that I would have an easier time dating if I were lighter in complexion. I notice that even white guys tend to slightly prefer lightskinned Black women if they are available. I just want to know what shade do you prefer when dating black women?

I guess I received my answer. Most men do not prefer darkskinned black women, they'd all rather be in relationships or married to lightskinned women. I'll never be as sexy as beautiful nor have as much worth as fairskinned women. I'm something that most men settle for if I have "nice features" or if I'm not next to a lightskinned women cause they will pass me over. I have no idea what I even exist why aren't women like me extinct? Maybe the purpose of my existance is to just be a breeder?
Ok, I had a chance to calm down because I was so moody and irritated today. I had to take a day off from work so I could calm down.
It's just that I suffer from self esteem and confidence issues stemming from feeling rejected by men because of my skin tone. Sometimes at work when I see men approaching lightskin, mixed and white women more often to chat with I'd get so upset that I can't even concentrate. It triggers feelings of inadequacy and rejection. It makes me so angry & I feel worthless

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 25

• why is it that all these types of questions on GaG asked by black girls are so often looking for the approval of white men, and when you don't get it its like the worst thing in the world? Your update is silly honestly. You see a few comments from mostly white guys and now all of a sudden your life is ending. Good grief...

If you are a woman, the most important part of you when it comes to attracting men is your face, then its your body shape. Make sure you have as clean a face as possible, and as good a body as possible. Right now, you are just over dramatizing your problems

• Black guys have approval that you are attractive. You hear women of all races expressing how gorgeous black men are. Your looks have been affirmed. What is so bad with me wanting the same thing? I want to be validated as welll

• again, you're over dramatizing. Black people in general have a harder time dating (not just black women) according to data collected by various dating websites. If you live as a victim of circumstance your whole life, you will likely die a victim too, never getting what you want. You have to break out of that mindset and actually realize that there are hundreds of men out there of every race (not just white), who would date a black girl

• Please don't think those things in your update. Lots of men like several to all shades of skin color. Maybe statistically more prefer light skin but you can still find a man that will love you and find you sexy. Also there are less dark skinned women in the world so there will be a demand for some men with that preference. You're self worth doesn't have to come exclusively from your appearance either. You're so much more than that.

• There are actually more darkskinned women in this world but for some reason very few men prefer us or consider us an ideal mate.

Also how am I supposed to find a man to love me if the vast majority do not prefer my skin tone? I dont get it.

• Asker, you need to see reality. Most light skin girls are given the hit and run. Not many are given serious relationships. They're abused in rap and degraded in music videos. Is that really what you want to be?

• How are you settling? You mean they are often settling on your skiing color? Look at it this way: few to none of us are perfect. We are all kind of settling in some regards. That doesn't mean you can't be loved by a man.

Plus you can have features that will be a man's preference that many lighter skinned women will not have.

• I like all kinds of skin tones... so it wouldn't matter to me as much... Personality will always change my view on women.
    My problem mainly lies in your update if that's how quickly you can start thinking about these problems... I can't handle people with low self esteem.

• Dark... like Afro-Caribbean.

• Asker, here goes another guy preferring dark (which you're not), but you'll probly ignore this and continue ranting.

• it's nice to read men say they prefer dark women. i appreciate it

• Asker, I dream of someday going back to Barbados and seeing the beautiful willowy island girls again.

i203.photobucket.com/.../car75.jpg

(please don't say she's not dark enough for you... it's hard enough finding pictures of Bajan women who aren't Rihanna)

• It's more about the facial features actually, just like another guy said, but to be honest, I tend to be more attracted to lightskin blacks, but still, if a darkskin has facial features that I like, I still gonna find her attractive, regardless of her skin color.

• AleDeEurope, why is my skin tone second best to you? Why don't you prefer darkskin?

• "You shouldn't be worried with people who don't make you a priority and worry about the guys that will. I completely understand where you're coming from I do see black women being bashed and wrongfully so. That being said just ignore them and keep looking for the guy who finds you as his ideal."

I should worry about it because I want to feel appreciated like lighterskinned women. I want to know that I have as many options but clearly I dont cause Im not the preferred color. I dont think I'll ever find a guy who thinks my color is ideal. Most men have pretty much let me know that I am always going to be last pick. not one guy has said he preferred darkskin so far

• No, I said I tend to be more attracted to lightskin women, MAYBE because they tend to have facial features that I consider attractive. I never said all lightskin blacks have facial features I like. I also didn't say that I don't like darkskin facial features.
      Don't take my comment like an insult, or that I'm insinuating all darkskin blacks aren't attractive, it's not what I'm saying. Color doesn't matter, believe me, what matters is the facial features, and a lightskin and a darkskin can both have the same facial features, this doesn't have anything to do with their color.

• I feel like most of the girls I've been attracted to have fallen into a pretty wide range of light to dark skin.

In general, I tend to be attracted to features more than skin color.

• Not one man has said he preferred darkskin so far. Why is that? Why am I the least preferred color?

• Or maybe that's how they feel. YOU'RE NOT EVEN DARK SKIN!

• brownskin is darkskin. it's no where near light

• I don't care about the color as long as it's wrapped around a healthy happy smart pretty woman that likes me.

• I love them both. Love your sexy dark skin too.

• It's really not a factor.

Facial features and build matter. And hair.

• You have to pick. What type of facial features and skin tone you like on black girls?

• "No, I said I tend to be more attracted to lightskin women, MAYBE because they tend to have facial features that I consider attractive. I never said all lightskin blacks have facial features I like. I also didn't say that I don't like darkskin facial features.
      Don't take my comment like an insult, or that I'm insinuating all darkskin blacks aren't attractive, it's not what I'm saying. Color doesn't matter, believe me, what matters is the facial features, and a lightskin and a darkskin can both have the same facial features, this doesn't have anything to do with their color. "

But you initially said you preferred lightskin black women due to their coloring and features now you are back tracking and saying color doesn't matter. I wanted to know why you don't prefer dark women, what makes our skin tone less appealing? I just find it frustrating that by default I am what most men would settle for and not be ideal. But I guess I should be content with being 2nd best

• I prefer dark skin black girl

• it has to be 57% light 43% dark. with a 3% tolerance... other then that id be out faster then if you had the chicken pox

• I care a million times more about boobs and booty. Skin tone doesn't matter to me, curves dp :p

• Men will avoid saying they prefer darkskin, some will claim they care more about boobs, butts, hips, but never that you prefer darkskin.

• Kerry Washington is lightskinned and has narrow features. When I say brown or dark I mean Oprah Winfrey's or Kelly Rowland color. See, women like me are not even thought of when you think of dark. That's the sad part

• Oprah is definitely pretty and Kelly is lovely.
      You shouldn't be having much problema dating if that's you're skin tone. Lupita gets all white boys lol and she's darker than both people you mentioned.

• Dark skin girls can beautiful too. Some of the prettiest girls I know are dark skin girls and they are darker than you. Yes, a lot of guys like light skin girls with fat asses, but it really depends on who the girl is not particularly her skin tone.

• Do you think in the future dark women will be bred out since most men dont prefer us?

• You must live beneath a rock if you dont notice most black men who express their preference for lightskin or white girls. if given the opportunity most would not date a darkskinned girl. Do you see the type of women most black male entertainers have? they are usually light in complexion, not even brownskin

• I would date a darkskin girl cause race doesn't matter to me. That first picture I showed you, she is a very hot dark skin girl. Do you know those women aren't shit to those men? They are just bitches to them. There are plenty of videos with brown skin girls too, plenty. Cause brown skin isn't too far from light skin. Some of the hottest women are brown skin.

• Both can be attractive

• Honestly depends for me. But regardless of ethnicity or race, I don't like girls who play games and act like a dog (you get my drift).

• Skin is not much a factor as you think it is. It's very low on my preference list.

• they're pretty kinds of both colours..

and why care what some Web strangers think? :)

• Because most men in real life feel this way and it makes me really upset and angry. I feel ignored, irrelevant, undesirable and unworthy because my skin is not light. And any man who dates me I wonder if he is settling for me cause he couldn't get a lightskinned woman

• by the way, i am a black man, and i don't oppose dating a dark-skinned woman... skin colour for me is not the main factor..

• what solution was I given? I was pretty much told in so many ways that men settle for women like me. I am never their preferred choice.

• I feel like I gravitate towards lighter skin tones, whether the girl is black or not.

• Why?

• It IS a big deal. It's a huge deal. My confidence, self esteem, worth and purpose is tied into my skin tone that most men dont think is worth crap. I dont even know why I exist since most men dont even prefer my skin tone

• It's not worth crap. I'm pretty sure no one said that. Your existence isn't defined by your ability to attract men you know. And you can. As long as you love yourself and you have confidence, you're still attractive. Focus on that, and not the fact that you don't have x or y quality.

• "even white guys prefer lighter skin"

Um, obviously? We white guys are used to white girls. So we're obviously going to find lighter skin--closer to white--more attractive.

Why don't you just date black guys?

• did you read my other posts? even black guys who are used to black girls prefer lightskin. there were two black guys who said they find lighter skin more desirable. so if black guys prefer lightskin, why can't white guys prefer darkskin?

• Because people aren't magnets. There's no "- pole attracts + pole so therefore + pole must attract - pole" law when it comes to inter racial dating. What black guys prefer doesn't impact what white guys prefer.

• lightskin black... REDBONES

• Light skin. The paler the better.

• I think really dark skin can be very sexy! It's the same as with dark hair... it looks kind of mysterious, sophisticated and alluring.

• I lij. ke all blackgirls but im white and feel im not worthy of their beauty:(

• No comment.

• I prefer light skinned usually

• why do you prefer lightskin over dark?

• Many black guys prefer lightskinned women when they do date inside their own race. Why is my skin tone not a trophy? What isn't it prized?

• You shouldn't be worried with people who don't make you a priority and worry about the guys that will. I completely understand where you're coming from I do see black women being bashed and wrongfully so. That being said just ignore them and keep looking for the guy who finds you as his ideal.

What Girls Said 11

• No offense but only unattractive girls whine about their skin tone. I know lots of hot dark skinned girls that get plenty attention from guys and I know plenty guys who say they prefer chocolate over redbones.

If you have a cute face and a nice body why do you feel like skin color holds you back?

• Even if I was ugly, so what? am i less deserving of love and romance?

There are plenty of ugly lightskinned women who have their pick of men. Why can't the same be said for an ugly to average dark woman?

• Kenya Moore used to shit on most light skinned chicks in her prime. She still does, but I hate that she's on that show. She's so beautiful.
    i303.photobucket.com/.../...oorebareessentials.jpg

• Well people consider me brown skin, dark skin. I can care less. But I consider my dark skin because majority of my body is dark. Either way I love my skin and at the end of the day that's all that matters. I've read the comments and like the guys said they don't really have a preference. They just like certain features or personality. Also guys are attracted to girls with confidence, and maybe the guys that you come in contact with sense it too. Maybe that's why the guys at your job are not responding to you as the other women. It saddens me how you view yourself cuz I know you are a pretty girl. This is serious if you had to take a day off of work. I think this is something you should speak to an psychologist about and not gag.

• Excuse me I meant to say guys must sense you have low self-esteem that's why their not responding to you as they do the women at your job.

• I hate that there is even this debate between lightskin and darkskin. You shouldn't feel any less beautiful because you have darker skin! I know plenty of guys who prefer girls with a richer skin color. By why does that even matter? Everyone has a preference. You shouldn't be upset and feeling like you don't matter because darkskin didn't win the majority vote. You'll never make it far with that mentality. Your skin color does not define who you are!

• ALL WOMEN: Love your fucking self and others will love you! Please stop trying to seek validation from others.

• What a shame.

• Why do you think you'd have an easier time if you were lighter? That's a horrible mentality to have. Asking that sort of question on here will only get you hurt. Love your skin, and you'll find a guy who loves it just as much or even more than you do. They're the ones that are worth it, and you'll find him.

• As you can see, the vast majority of the guys have all said they find lighter skiin more appealing. So if I were lighter, I'd have a much easier time dating white and black men. I want my skin tone to be celebrated by most men not just one who happens to settle for me.

• Yes, I'm extremely bitter because most men do not prefer me. I'm something that they settle for but I'm supposed to be content with that

• I'll just let you wallow in your own self pity then. You're not helping yourself by thinking in this way. Your skin tone is not be all and end all of your being. That's all I have to say.

• Some do, some don't.
    I know a lot of guys that do care though..
    My black and hispanic friends are the ones who usually don't care as long as she's hot.

• Also, I'm not "lightskinned" and I have no problem getting men.

• Another victim of white mentality.

• Believe me light skinned girls don't have it good all of the time. I'm lightskinned and I have nice hair and I'm tired of people assuming I'm mixed because of how dark my dad is. You get pale in the winter and sun burned in the summer. And I have never seen a white guy with a dark skinned black woman.

• Well this is America..
    Eurocentric beauty is what most guys like now. Even minorities are chasing after us. But you know what they say the darker the berry the sweeter the juice.

And I found this

pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ9uAcrCQAAzSPe.jpg:large

There all beautiful even white guys can't deny it

• Not to mention they have some amazing lips

• I agree that they are all beautiful, but I don't feel like Kelly is darkskin.

• Lupita Nyongo has gorgeous skin. I always hear many people say how gorgeous she is both white and black. As a matter of fact she's on cover girl and on plenty of magazines. It's all about being confident and having a great personality.