Do opposite personalities attract?

I am sweet and kind and not aggressive. I'm chatty but a bit more on the reserved side. I only feel attracted to take charge assertive men. When a man is like me (sweet and passive) I don't feel very attracted to him. And it seems like in most couples one partner is more assertive than the other.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most people complement each other.. each has something that the other person lacks. They might be similar except for the one big difference that makes them 'click' together.

What Guys Said 21

• They can, but history has proven that for a long term relationship to work you need to be more similar than different. Please have a read here. I've been posting this article here for the past few years in regards to "opposites or similar attract" www.nice-girls-nice-guys-relationship-advice.com/relationship-compatibility.html

• so they say... like magnets do:

deenaroseministries.files.wordpress.com/.../magnetism1.jpg

i believe that happens to people many times as well.

• they sometimes do. they really do.

• Women usually go for assertive men. Women who are more assertive than her man usually are frustrated women who settled for less in that trait. Anyway, I wouldn't say opposites atract each other. Oposites usually hate each other. They need to be similar enough so that they can relate to each other and create empathy, but they can't be so similar that they dont have anything new/different to offer. Keep in mind Im talking about the person in general, not about every trait in particular.

• Generally, no.

• Total opposites do not attract, however if you're the exact same, your relationship will be boring as all hell. Find someone that is a healthy medium of difference.

• nope nope nope i had a gf who was the complete opposite to me she dragged me down and got me into drugs so thats a big nope from me XD i went on holiday and was like nope stopped everything and now have the most amazing relationship with an amazing gf who i have loads in common with :)

• I really don't think so. Maybe a few personalities that are opposite. If the two people are completely opposite, the relationship won't work. I think the opposite attract thing is just an excuse for good girls to feel it's okay to date jerks.

• I believe that we are attracted to those similar to us, but not completely. I believe we tend to like people who are alike us, just have some differing personality trais that we don't have... thus making them special. I tend to like girls who are similar to me for the most part

• Depends, how opposite are we talking about? I can´t imagine my self with someone that´s different than me in all aspects.

• I think they have to be different, but they need more similarities than differences. It's much easier to relate to and understand your partner when you're similar in some ways.

• Opposites can attract, but they can also react.

• I am sweet and assertive, and I am attracted to opposite personalities sometimes some times I like same personality every now and then

• Im a introvert who seams to get suckered in by extroverted shilas. So yes id say they do or at least balance each other out

• yes, I'm attracted to the opposite sex

• Mostly ya.. cz i am not very outgoing person... well i will be attracted by a outgoing girl... it just makes sense!

• I think so... I'd want a more outgoing girl than me... someone to shout for me

• Everyone's different

• I'm attracted to girls with opposite personalities to me but i know it wouldn't work out.

• Very often, but that doesn't mean they are an ideal couple.

• Ya I agree I'm a pretty outgoing guy popular and all that and I like the shy girls who don't party and stuff so I see where you're coming from when you say you like the opposite personality from you :)

What Girls Said 18

• When I was in High School I had a huge crush on the guy that was everything I wasn't; loud, outgoing, assertive, charming. We actually became really good friends later on.
    It really depends on the couple. I've seen couples where their characteristics are contradictory yet find a way to work together in harmony. But for other couples, the person who claims the assertive role may also be very insensitive, which makes the more passive person a bit intimidated. So, I'd say to take all characteristics into account. Yes, a guy can be assertive but is he also respectful, kind and caring?

• I personally am more attracted to people that are similar to me and find the ones that are opposite to be repulsive.
    There are a lot of studies that show the whole opposites attract thing only works for the short term. The novelty wears off quickly because common values and goals are the foundation of a solid relationship.

• I think people with complementary values do rather than opposites.

• Yes they definitely can attract. Sometimes being too similar can be a great thing and sometimes it can be too hard on the relationship, as is the same with having opposite personalities. Sometimes being different can bring a greater balance to a relationship and though it can have its issues just like being too similar, it can also be refreshing to the relationship

• For me yes I'm shy and once I'm comfortable to my environment I'm talkative. And the guy I like he is outspoken. He is quick to meet and make new friends while I'm not. He loves music and I like drawing. He enjoys fooling around while I prefer to be in one place with few friends. And he still likes me and I like him

• Most times they do. I notice most out going people tend to date other out going people. Or shy guy and shy girl. But i've also seen a shy guy or girl, with an outgoing person.

• No. No Mr chubby couch potato.

• Opposite personalities or differences between them might attract. Most of the time people are looking for someone more like themselves.

• I was together with my ex 2 years we was like this
    It was soooo much fighting everyday and they are usually very jealous too.
    U can make it work but it won't last forever

• From what I see. yes.
    Bad boy with good girl.
    Bad girl with good boy.
    I see too often.

• My parent have the oppsitte personalities.. and they were married for 30 years and still going strong

• Yeah, we appreciate qualities we sort of lack, in others. But we're all attracted to confidence.

• Yeah most definitely:)

• Like the quote says "opposites attract but similaritys match" my parents are totally different people and that led to two horrible divorces. I think it's better if you find some like you but of course not a twin😋

• It depends on the person honestly. Everyone has different tastes. I'm attracted to guys with opposite personalities than mine too. The outgoing, silly, and extroverted type. It's fascinating.

• Opposites attract but they don't stay together

• only at a certain extent.

• Sometimes they work well together as long as what you first admire doesn't later become the something you find annoying. I'm with my opposite and we balance each other out quite nicely.