How important is sex in a relationship?

I am 18 and have always feared being in a relationship because I know that I'm not ready for sex.
Is it cliché that I put friendship, loyalty, trust, and compassion before sex?
A lot of people seem to disagree with me but I value a persons intellect and humour rather than physical intimacy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Importance wise I put it around like 0 or 1 out of 10... Not very important!

A lot of people doooooo think its very important and part of a Healthy Lifestyle and a Healthy Relationship or whatever nonsense they wanna believe in cuz of compulsory heterosexuality... whatever, lol... But not everyone, for sure. Not for me :3 I mean I don't necessarily value intellect or humour either... I just want someone to luv n trust n care about... Well, whatever. Yeah. I agree :)

I'm sorry that you're afraid of being in a relationship. It sucks that there's like so much pressure for that on u... But you don't have to negotiate your boundaries for a real relationship with someone. You don't have to compromise on that. I promise!

• Best comment so far! :)
      Yeah, I don't understand where this "Healthy Lifestyle" theory comes into play. I definitely agree with loving and caring for a person also!
      It's not as much pressure as it is being able to pick out guys who are actually genuine and care about other things more than sex. And thank you so much for that last part! I needed that :)

• ahah That's the most helpful advice I've received so far and I appreciate it! :D

• ah ty for MHO! :)

What Guys Said 5

• No sex = no relationship, for me.

• I could not care less.

• You are in no way obligated to have sex with someone you're in a relationship with. It's something both parties have to agree to.

• Amen! Thanks for that comment :) Most people do treat sex as an obligation!
      I appreciate your input.

• Absolutely. Most people (not all) go through multiple relationships before finding someone they're comfortable doing that with. It's perfectly normal.

• You're not obligated to have sex with you're future boyfriend if you don't want to. If a guy can't see that, he ain't worth your time.

• For me it's important. Bad sexual chemistry more often then not will cause someone to stray.

• Let's say the girl you have is perfect in every other way (in your eyes), but the sexual chemistry is terrible... You're telling me you'd throw all that away just because the sex was bad?

• I guess honesty is a son these days. Ever wpnder why the devorce rate is sp high? Lol

I ciuod lie and say yes, your right, sexual chemistry means absolutely nothing to me but I have a high labeto and if it makes me a bad person qantomg to be happy in life, so be it.

• Forgive the spelling errors. My auto correct is on the fritz.

What Girls Said 1

• Sexual compatibility is important for the majority of people. Personally speaking, I do not consider it important.