When did you know and when did you tell your SO that you loved them?

I'm one of those girls where half of me is a helpless romantic, and the other half is extremely realistic. I'm a realist in most things, but I sure do love a love story.
I think I'm starting to fall for my boyfriend. But I don't really know for sure because I've never been in love. I've never told a guy I loved them before. I feel like society has turned "I love you" into a cliché, so I've always been very careful not to get love and infatuation mixed up. This guy I'm seeing is beyond wonderful, and he's definitely different from any guy I've ever dated. There are sometimes when we're talking and I'm telling him bye and "I love you" almost slips out, but I always catch myself. I know what y'all are thinking, but I really feel like if I knew I felt it, I would say it. It just doesn't seem right yet. I love you is more than a feeling to me, it's a promise. And I feel like even when I do figure out I love him, I should meditate on it for awhile, not proclaim it right away. His actions and words tell me that he cares very deeply for me. But the thing is, what if he tells me he loves me and I'm not ready to say it back? I seriously don't want to hurt him. But what if I say it first and he's not ready to say it back? Or worse, he feels obligated to say it because I said it. Do you guys have any insight or stories of experience?

Most Helpful Guy

• My girlfriend and I started feeling something for each other in October. About a month later we told each other we loved each other. And I can't believe I waited that long to tell her. If you are keeping yourself from saying it, it means your heart wants you to.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• I was drunk off my ass and told him maybe 6 months of knowing each other. He told me within 3 months, but I just told him I was happy he felt that way about me. I was sure I loved him, but I really didn't want to say, considering it has backfired on me... You don't actually have to tell someone you love them with words. You can show them with your actions. You also don't have to reply to "I love you" with "I love you" just tell them something that assures appreciation.

• Just be honest, if one of you says it first don't feel obligated or offended if the other person doesn't say it right away. My boyfriend told me first that he loved me and i told him a week later. I was surprised when he said it but i knew we wanted to be together so i did it eventually.