Is the ages 15 to 18 too big of an age gap?

I'm a sophomore in high school and I am on the younger end of the grade. The guy I am talking to (?) is a senior and he's about to turn 18. So I guess what I want to know, is 15 to 18 a too big of gap? He makes me happy and I'm glad I met him...

• If you like him, date him
  • That's too big of a gap, sorry.

Most Helpful Guy

• People change a lot in teen years. I look at myself from a year ago and think 'hmmmm I wish I didn't behave like that', I'm 18 now. I wouldn't personally go out with a 15 year old. I did like someone 3 years younger than me but at that point you could both change so much. If it was a year it's not as bad ideally the same age at this point as you're both doing the same thing you both move on to uni or whatever at the same time. It depends what your intentions for the relationship would be from the start

What Guys Said 5

• 1/2 of his age+7 = her minimum age
    Or age of the youngest +20%

• Careful, he could go to jail if you guys have sex. Him being over 18 and all. I've heard of it happening, even if you do want it to.

• Well if he's going to be in college next year and you aren't that would make any sort of long term situation unviable

• Just be careful after he turns 18 because he can get in a lot of trouble since you're still a minor

• You need to check state laws. I'm personally willing to reach 2 years, but no more. If there's attraction, then fine. Just make sure it's legal in your state.

What Girls Said 6

• If you both were 20 and 23 it wouldn't matter.
    But since you are 15 (under the age of consent) and he is 18 (legally an adult)
    It isn't okay.
    If he really likes you he'll continue to be your friend and wait a while for you.
    If the age of consent is 16/17 where you live, then he doesn't have to wait extremely long.

• He needs to follow the law because he can get in trouble for this.

• August. im bias but I think Im more mature than my age.

• So he's really 2.5 years older than you.
      When you both are age of consent it's nothing to fret over.
      Talk to him still and keep in contact.

• The age gap itself is fine, but the relationship may be impractical simply because he's likely going off to college soon. I doubt a long-distance relationship while he's in college would be realistic. If you just want to try out a short-term relationship then okay, but don't have romanticized plans of being together forever.

Also as @Stacyzee brought out, technically if you guys have sex it will be illegal and he could be turned in to the police for statutory rape. If I were him I would avoid a sexual relationship with a minor simply because you OR your parents could get him thrown in jail. Not worth it.

• Thank you so much. We have a lot in common but he is going to college about a 45 minute drive away so it might be hard.

• Yeah, that sucks :/ To avoid being heartbroken when he leaves for college you may not want to enter into a serious relationship with him.

• Sounds like a good plan... Sigh,

• It's not so much the age gap but the mentality. An age gap of the same amount of years but older such as 18 and 21 is ok because socially you're relationship can grow and you can have a healthier relationship. I would say 15-18 is just wrong. If my child was 15 and had a 18yo bf/gf I wouldn't be down. When you're 18 you sort of look at 15yo as kids lol

• I'm sorry I didn't read your it. But yes you should go for it :)

• It's 100% okay if you're not having sex. don't know why everyone assumes you are.

• It depends on you both, age gap doesn't really mattee of you both have a good connection