really scared please help?

My mom hadn't been feeling like herself so she went to the hospital today and she was diagnosed with diabetes. Her blood sugar is at 700 and the doctors said they don't know what's going on. They can't get her blood sugar to go down and something is wrong with her pancreas. I'm so scared my mom is my best friend and she means the world to me. I don't know what to do. I'm only 14 by the way. She's staying the night and I'm afraid it might be something that could kill her. Please help

Most Helpful Girl

• Diabetes is definitely a very serious disease but it is manageable. Do you know if she has Type 1 or Type 2? Most adults who develop diabetes have Type 2 which is slightly different but either way, the pancreas is not working as it should. My brother has Type 1, he was diagnosed when he was 16 months old and he's now 16 years old.

First, you should try to calm down. Stressing will only cause you to be upset about it and upset your mother so take a deep breath. She's in the hospital so that's the best place for her to be right now with nurses who can constantly monitor her blood sugar and work to bring it down. It can sometimes take quite a while to stabilize when someone's blood sugar is extremely high or extremely low like that. However, I think she will be okay once they finally get it down to a normal level.

A little story, last year my brother's blood sugar dropped extremely low in the middle of the night and he started to have a seizure which woke me up. It was scary, we had to give him a shot to put sugar into his body directly to bring it up. When he stopped seizing, he was unconscious so of course an ambulance came and took him to the hospital. He was okay but it took a good 2 days or so for him to get his sugar back to normal. High or low blood sugar take a huge toll on the body so it takes some time for the person to start feeling better.

I think, while you're waiting, you should try to do a little bit of research into the disease. That can help a lot when your mother gets out of the hospital and has to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Getting educated is the first step to being able to deal with it and manage it, and your mother will need your support so it will be good for you to understand it as well. Here are a few websites that may help.
    http://www.diabetes.org
    www.joslin.org/.../...s_facts_and_information.html
    http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/diabetes.html
    www.webmd.com/.../slideshow-essential-manage-diabetes

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to talk further if you want :)

• Thank you! They've dropped it down to 300 now and its still slowly but surely going down.

• Oh good! She may still feel ill for a while because, as I said, experiencing extreme high's or low's like that definitely takes a toll on the body but don't worry, diabetes is very manageable. Do a little research with your mother to learn about it and I'm sure everything will be okay :)

What Guys Said 2

• Sounds like diabetes , indeed. Type I or II? Usually they give insulin from injections or an insulin pump.
    ----
    By the way, Girls Askguys cannot guarantee the accuracy of answers, opinions and advice submitted by members. Use common sense when following or avoiding any content on GirlsAskguys. On medical and health issues, consult a doctor.

• Yes as a personal diabetic your mom had to have hidden symptoms
    such as Urinating frequent, extremely tiredness, weight-loss/ weight gain
    if your moms blood sugar was 700 she is very lucky, they will give her insulin
    until they can get her sugar under control.. If your mom was presenting flu-like
    symptoms that's cause she was what they call Diabetic ketoacidosis i hope
    she's feeling better i know it's not easy..

What Girls Said 0