Is it a turn off if a girl self harms or has self harmed?

I was wondering if a girl tells you that she self harms or used to self harm, is tht something that turns guys away from a girl?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 9

• I'd probably help her get through it. But she has to accept the fact that it is a problem and that she does need help. I'd even go to therapy with her if she needs it.

• yeah, that would suck to know that, and scare me. why did you do that?

• Sort of. I would wonder why and try to help. but if I couldn't I might not stay.

• I find the whole self harm phenomenon interesting and I would like to get to know someone who does it regularly and try to help them.

• Not really a turn off, but I'd be concerned as to why she felt the need to do this to herself. I personally have gone through depression, but never did I feel like I should hurt myself so I can't really understand why people do that.

• I started cutting olny because I'm stuck in a small room with just my thoughts and my environment around me isn't the greatest. I can't leave the house and li let my thoughts get to me people do it chase they have no other way to show it

• Yeah it is.

• Yes. I don't know why.

• The girl I'm dating has scars on her wrist from self harm... Ummm yea and she does have issues that are starting to get to me

• No it's not a turn off, however it's a warning sign that they might have emotional issues that are deeper than a guy might be willing or able to deal with.

Note: I expect some of the answers saying turn off really mean the above too.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't talk about how I use to self harm but when I wear short sleeves and the scars on my arms are seen its enough indication that I have cut myself before. The reaction I get from guys differ. Some are put off by it, others want to go into deeper details and want to genuinely help me but its a past I want to keep behind me so I just assure that it's nothing and something I won't do again. That usually ends there.

• When I mean by "ends there" It means the topic about self harm ends.