What do you guys think about long distance relationships?

Do you think they can work if you really love eachother?

Most Helpful Guy

• I truly believe long distance can work if you truly love each other. Also just wondering if you could give me some advice on my problem. This girl I met 5 years and 9 months ago when she was holidaying were i'm from, she was her 3 times a year for 3 years, we always met up when she was on holidays and constantly messaging on Facebook but then 2 years ago they had family trouble and since then they havnt been here. We kept in contact but over time we fell apart. I keep trying to forget about this girl but find myself thinking of her every morning, threw my day and at night just wondering if ill ever see her again and what could have been. She's the only girl i have had feelings this strong for.

We live over 400 miles away so I never taught of doing anything about these feelings because i was so young and taught it was just a crush but now i'm 22 and my feelings are only getting stronger for her.

PS; I have been kissing another girl and imagining how good this would be if this was xxxxxx

Have I left it too late to get back in touch with her?

• You should try to contact her again. I recently met this foreign guy and we had a thing but now he's back in his country and even though we still talk to each other I have not been able to tell him that I have deeper feelings for him. I'm too shy and fear from rejection however if you can't stop thinking about her and really like her you should go for it :)

What Guys Said 74

• I think it can work out, it'll just take a lot of patience, trust, and willpower.

• I had a potential long distance relationship, but we decided it would not work. At the most I would get to see her maybe once a year. That's not a relationship. That's an annual cordial visit. Humans weren't meant to live like that. It's not good for us. We're still friends, and I still love her. But I don't say it anymore because I don't want to give her the wrong impression, and possible make her hesitant to find another. I don't want her to be alone.

• They "can", it's possible.

As of the odds of making it work, they are still low... Not mentioning the issues related to such relationship.

People can be anyone on the internet, a long distance relationship will never tell you what kind of person you have in front, not mentioning that you won't have any helps from the neightboorhood rumors. None of your friends will be able to tell you "stay away from that girl she's trouble" for example.

I would honestly stay away from such relationship, I already was in one and felt in love for what was in the end a huge illusion. Things I never had with any real life relationship. While it could be bad luck from my side it doesn't remove the facts you will never know for sure who that person is and wasting your time on that is far from being a good idea especially if you have futur plans...

• As long as you can realistically meet at some point in the not too distant future, it can work, but it will require very keen powers of observation, very sound judgment, and very deep trust, in that order. The more transparent you can agree to be with each other, the better. Secrets are lethal to any relationship and they're doubly lethal to an LDR. I am in one and I'm extremely confident that it will blossom into a great marriage, but I vetted my girlfriend as carefully as I could before locking myself in and made sure that I could find a way to meet her. We talk on the phone daily, for several hours on end, and we also use video on occasion. Needless to say, I recommend that those entering one do their best to maintain constant contact and watch the pennies drop. Those pennies of thought will reveal far more within a relationship than a pointed question ever could. LDRs can work, but they do require work. Work and forethought.

• They can work but I personally don't do them for financial reasons. The amount of gas needed for one meet is too much for me to deal with. Plus you gotta hope the other person doesn't find someone else along the way.

• If it was actual love perhaps.
    I tried long distance once, she was the prettiest girl I've ever dated, we had great chemistry. But we met during the Summer and I had to move back to my province 2 weeks after we met... We tried long distance but I said I couldn't do it because I knew I would only see her maybe 2 weeks a year. She was unhappy, but not as much as if I had tried to keep it going with false hope.. Sigh.

• I've been in one with a girl living and studying in Turkey for several months. We met on Facebook. Skype video chat is our preferred way of communicating - a lot of meaning in human communication comes from body language and tone which gets lost in texting. It's been hard with the time zone difference between us, but we seem to be doing all right. There are things you can't know without having met someone. I'm hoping it will work out when she comes over here, that she'll be able to go to a school which is close enough to see each other regularly, but for now we're taking things slow.

Use video chat to come up with creative ways to keep things fresh. What we want to do is trade recipes and walk the other person through cooking them.

• It could work. Just takes a lot of patience, trust and money :\ since having to see eachother on a regular basis will be costly but it could work.

• I'm in a semi ldr right now. It's like an hour and a half away and we see each other every couple of weeks. I think it works but there has to be that goal that eventually you will not be long distance anymore.

It's not easy, there are gonna be times where the other person can't talk or maybe they go out with friends and you just have to trust them.

• I'm sure I could handle one cause I'm super patient, but it seems like way too many people couldn't deal with it.

• It really depends on the people that are in the long distance relationship. For me personally it would be really hard, because I tend to believe that physicality is what defines a relationship. And NO I'm not referring to sex. The occasional hand squeeze, forehead kiss, or evening with Netflix is what I'm referring to. But that's not necessarily what other people like in a relationship. The people need to know what makes the other person feel loved and determine if they can accomplish that from a distance.

• Yes absolutely! Love has no barriers

I had a long distance relationship and it was one of the best ones I've ever had. Granted we also did live together for a while after. But there was a a couple of years it was long distance

Look at it this way. If the person seems like there everything you want. And you let them go. Do you really think you can replace them? Life is long and you can potentially spend 50+ years with someone. What's a few years of living apart?

• I think they can work if people really try hard and trust each other. However, I wouldn't get into a long distance one. The only possibility would be if I started a relationship personally and then for some reason it turned into long distance.

• They can work if there is a definite plan to get together at some point. But you are still very young, and should not be in an exclusive long-distance relationship. You can stay friends and do whatever when you are together, but you should be open to dating others too.

• I'm in one and have been since 19, get to see her every two weeks for a weekend but we talk every night and make ourselves available 24/7 to each other and while the stress of being apart really sucks. It's definitely worth it because we know when we get to be together we really can make the most of being with each other and enjoying time spent. Also we really love each other a lot so I'm pretty certain we'll stay together (just cracked 7 years).

That being said, if you're contemplating embarking on a long distance relationship, there certainly isn't any harm in trying it... if it doesn't work out maybe it will later on down the track.

Hope you work it out :)

• They work, my sister in México, had a cyber relationship with a guy from Bucharest Rumania and the dude crossed the ocean to come and settle here, the problem is that he does nothing for a living, it had some strange maners, his feed smell, don't shower everyday, etc... living in the same place has become a pain in the ass... My advice is that you should be careful of who you fall in love with, cause everything might change when you meet him /her in person.

• If i could communicate on Skype i do long distance but there's got be some form of attachment for it to work

• i have done this before. im in perth and the girl was in melbourne. we just called each other and texted during the day and sometimes webcam or Skype. but in the end she met someone else and we tied the knot there. not long after i met someone as well and now we like best long distance friends. haha but IMHO it doesn't work. someone will cheat or meet someone and you can't beat close comfort affection.

• Ehhh. . . Only if the relationship doesn't remain long distance for an extended period of time. It's just not worth it in the long run.

• Well, I'm currently in one. You need a lot of balls, understanding and patience to make it work. Remember, you both communicate via digital means, if not otherwise; Most misunderstandings are from texts that are received differently. Also, you need to be very loyal, as you can't see your so quite frequently.

It works, yes, but only if both of you make an effort.

• If you truly love each other, it can work. My brother lives in Massachusetts, and his girlfriend lives (not studying abroad, but actually grew up and lives) in Spain. They see each other twice a year maybe, they Skype often (every day or every other day), and they've been together for two years now. She's moving in with him this summer.

• My sister and her husband dated for 6 years while he was overseas in the Marines. They have been happily married since. Yes the will work if you want them to.

• I think , as long as you make some time for each other, you can make it work. I had to break up with someone because they really did not make time for me , and she made too many excuses not to see me. When you make too many excuse that can ruin a long term relationship. Because why would you have made a effort into the relationship in the first place if you can't commit to seeing the person?

• i think it can work out if they find a way to close the gap ASAP. LDRs are composed of 90 percent promises and 10 percent hope lol. so you pretty much bond with your electronic device rather than really connect through spending time together in real life.

90 percent cheat and 90 percent probably dont work out long term id say.

• They can. I was in a long distance relationship for 8 months and it only ended because I did something that ruined her trust in me
    As long as you know it's love, trust each other and communicate about your relationship it can work

• I think it can work but it's very tough. Mine was working fine but I still dumbed her for other reasons.

• I've been in 2. They don't work out long term. I loved both of the women I was in those relationships with but one dumped me and the other just faded away from me.

• They can work if you want it to, but in my case I was too naive. I loved a girl that lived in another country. We had a lot in common and I wanted it to work but over the years she distanced herself from me and hurt me really badly in the long run.

It depends on the person and situation I guess. :/

• It definitely can work - but it depends what you like about each other. If what you enjoy is hanging out and being close to each other - not so much. If you genuinely like the person's personality / attitude and you just wanna chat and you have the ability (financial or otherwise) to visit occasionally, I don't see why not.

• Just being honest, a sexless relationship is a friendship to guys. Guarantee the guy would at least be trying to get laid behind your back. We can't help it, it is in our genetic make-up to get laid as often as possible. Hard to commit to someone you can't see or touch

• More from Guys
    44

What Girls Said 22

• I think people should date people close by, though I know LDR's do work out sometimes. It's such a pain trying to date someone on the other side of the world and I don't think many people accept them as real relationships. My boyfriend lives on the other side of the road - so much easier!

• Yes, it can work, there must be a major level of commitment from both to make it happen.

I get to see my guy every weekend if the roads are OK and he or I can make it through the mountain pass. Even with a weekend together it can be rough at times, especially if one has had a bad day and needs the others support.

At the end of spring college quarter he will be back, we get married in July and head to college together. Which is one thing that helps me make it through the separation.

• Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos.

I think it's kinda unrealistic. And it requires a lot of trust. Which is something incredibly rare.

• Yes, I'm in one right now and I do not believe that he will cheat on me at all. I miss him a lot, but when I do get to see him, it's totally worth the wait. :)

• i think that it can be really hard. but it can work. I'm going to work abroad for six months and i also afraid, because my boyfriend will stay at home.. but then i remember that my cousin met his wife at this site https://mymagicbrides.com
    and they was "dating" only through the internet. and it ended up with wedding so... i stop bothering. And my friend dating with boy from Turkey and they see each othe only six months per year. And they also are happy. You also can it see from her vk account=) http://vk.com/ilona_batareyka_ilyushina
    so it's can really work

• Yeah, with enough commitment, love and work. But in all honestly, if you guys aren't planning to move one day, it kinda becomes pointless. I was in one, it was good while it lasted, but we both just wanted really different things. He wanted to have a commitment from me long term while I was too busy focusing on school and my future to actually intend on planning to be with someone. So, as long as everyone is on the same page, shit's good.

• one i had was when i was in h. s. (freshman) i met a guy on MySpace who lived in texas, im in California and we just skyped all the time and had phone calls and texts til we finally met in person 3 years later he took a plane to California. It was the happiest day of my life. He was my first love. It ended up not working out two years after that for other reasons but it can work.

• It could work but i think i need to see him at least once a month 😐🙊

• Very challenging , both have to trust each other and need to meet up with each other a few times in a year. Patience is key too.

• I think that's the only way I could be in a relationship... there's no other asexuals anywhere near me.

• They are not easy but certainly doable as long as both people want it the same and put effort into making it work.

• I don't believe in LDRs. While they may work for others, they don't work for me.

• Yes, but only if you are prepared for how hard it will be and only if you have a plan to end up in the same place eventually.

• Been to a long distance relationship and we are married now. You can't stay long distance forever though, you need to be together eventually.

• They can work. My relationship is long distance and we're good :D

• I think other things besides love are needed in LDR. Love isn't enough for me to decide to pack up and move to a new place.

• If its for a short time then yeah

• Nope doesn't work. After being away for so long, one of the lovers are gonna fall head over heels for someone else. (my experience)

• I dont trust them.

• I'm in one its hard we text constantly send each other little snapchats during the day so it helps, but if the both of you want it too work it will. Sometimes there's benefits like when I get to see him the excitement nearly kills me it feels brand new everytime.

• I've been in a long distance relationship for 2 years and it can defiantly be a struggle at times but it can defiantly work if you're both committed and love eachother

• They never work, no matter how much you want it to