Would you date a self harmer?

Would you date someone who cuts/burns?
What if they want to or got better? Would you mind the scars?

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to cut (quite a lot) but have gotten a lot better of the last few years...
    That being said, yes id date a self harmer. Id be understanding but want them to get better. And no i wouldn't mind the scars... scars just mean youve survived.

• Thanks for MH :)

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. I used to self-harm and am struggling to not do it. I can handle someone who does. I don't mind the scars.

• I definitely will. Not because it is good or anything but I would want to help.

• no I wouldn't date a self harmer

• If I loved him then yeah absolutely. The scars wouldn't bother me. I would be really scared for his safety and want him to be getting help to stop though

• I don't know if I would be able to handle the pressure of them actually cutting at the time but no I don't mind the scars , I think the fact that they stopped or are trying too says a lot and is be 100% supportive of them.

What Guys Said 6

• I've dated, and been friends with cutters before. It makes me sad, because I know that they do it out of a deep pain. I would hope that if I'm dating them I would make their life pleasurable enough to not need to continue in the activity.
    So to answer more thoroughly. I would not break up with a person who started cutting, and I wouldn't refrain from dating a person because they used to be a cutter, but I might be iffy about getting into a relationship with a person who is currently a cutter.

• no

since self-harmer's mental health isn't in a wrong state, one day she might start to harm others as well...

• I can't say I would. I grew up under someone with severe depression; for years it left me with no desire to partner at all. Now that I realize in my late twenties that it is something I want, I've been stumbling clueless as to how to go about finding it. I saw what my father was subjected to by her - what I was subjected to. I have no wish to tie myself down to that for the rest of my life.

• As long as I fell something for her it ddoesn't really matter to me.
    Altho I would try to make an effort to get them to stop. And no the scars wouldn't bother me but I would not try to draw attention to them at all

• Only if they stop after we start dating.

• Nope, can't risk to have something like that in my marriage.