Dating a single parent?

So how do you guys feel about dating a single parent? Or are any of you dating one at the moment? Feelings? Thoughts?

• I really like the person so I'll grow to be okay with it.
  • No.
Select a gender to cast your vote:

512

Most Helpful Girl

• As a child of single parents that dated a lot, unless the person wants to be a parent they SHOULD NOT get involved with a single parent. When you date a parent, you date their kids too. When you break up with them, the adults get it but us kids are left wondering what we did wrong to cause another mommy/daddy to leave us. That always sucked.

• Thank you hun! See my son is only 2 and I haven't even started dating haven't really thought about it anyway. But I do plan on waiting to bring any man around him toll I know we have a real connection and I know he's okay with my son coming first and before him.

• That's good. Make sure they know that on the first date that your little man is your number one man. A lot of the guys my mom dated were cool with dating her then once we were brought around they bailed. They didn't realize how big of a role we actually played in their romance.

• Thanks for most helpful. I wish all the best for you and your son.

What Guys Said 12

• I can't really vote on this topic to be honest , but I did marry a single parent. Hope that counts lol

• Only if I really, really like her. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, you're going to end up being a pseudo-guardian to the child which isn't something I'm interested in at this point in my life.

• See in my case I don't think I'd bring my baby near any man until I knew that we had a strong connection and he was okay with me having a child. The way I see it, being dad is my job unless we end up getting married that's when you're committing to a family. But I wouldn't hold him responsible for anything even if it's years into a relationship unless he decides to take part in.

• I get what you're saying. But if I were having him come over for a date I would most likely leave the baby at my mom's for the night just because I do think that meeting the baby and what not should wait a few months after we've started dating because I do understand this whole situation is just too intimidating. And thank you you for your opinion!

• No problem! This is just my opinion. I'm sure there are lots of guys who would love to.

• I don't think I could at the current phase in my life. Only because a child is so influenceable and if I am going to be a part of it's life I want to be in it for the long haul. There's no way in heck you can know that when you're just getting to know the parent. As a result, I tend to avoid putting myself in that situation at all costs. Maybe if I were slightly older and had very strong feelings about the girl before I ever was even introduced to the child (several months worth of dating prior to introduction). That said, not at this phase of my life/career, just being honest.

• Agreed, I don't think I'd bring my child around the guy I'm dating unless he requested it than I'd think about but I would wait a few months to do so. Thank you for your opinion.

• media.giphy.com/media/thpUr4EWQAvQc/giphy.gif

Her priorities wouldn't be what I'd like.

• I'm good with kids, but it's a huge leap to go from being single to being a father. I'm in a LDR right now, but I know someone who married a single mother and they've since had three more.

• Me as a mom I wouldn't put any responsibility on a man that I am dating because basically I'm dad. Plus I wouldn't be a relationship with someone who didn't see a future with me. Waste of time for the both of us. Unless the relationship led to marriage then of course he's committed to being a father figure. But for the beginning I think it's just understanding that the baby will always come first which I know some guys don't take too well.

• If they don't take it well, they aren't fit to be a parent. Children will always come first.

Sounds to me like you're approaching this with a good attitude. I wish you luck.

• Haha well I haven't really dated and my son is 2. The men that ask to take me out already have a good idea about my life knowing I have a child and they seem okay with it but I have yet to set up a day and go out on these dates lol. Thank you.

• Not interested. I hate kids and would especially not want to be expected to parent some other guy's kid.

• Im actually talking to one right now. I'll test it out, but Im not looking to be some father figure. If some girl has a kid at a young age, that's her choice. But I can't stand the ones who are single moms and act like they're more mature and responsible than you solely because they have a kid when their kid was a mistake in the first place.

I have to agree with @Ihav2fart Would not like her priorities despite that's what she has to do.

• I think it'd feel weird walking with a girl who had a kid and then have people ask if that's mine as well.

• I would actually find it to be a great thing if I was dating a girl and found out that she had kids (unless they were from multiple guys).

I've always wanted to be a father, but I only have about a 20-30% of ever having kids :/

• If I had strong feelings for her I'd try but that would be a slight concern since I'm pretty much a kid myself.

• Thats cool. But you can't just go into this as a regular relationship. You need to go in expecting it to last, or lead up to something greater

• Exactly my point. I would date a single parent if I saw a future and of course I had to be accepting of his kid (s) and they would obviously make sure they liked me and what not..

• I don't like children and don't think to have one. I MUST have fallen in love with her so much to accept this. Or else never.

• It depends on how she came to be a single parent. That makes a huge difference to me.

What Girls Said 4

• I know this sounds selfish and mean, but I would never date a single parent.
    I don't know how to deal with kids and I don't have patience for them, so my relationship with his child/children would be bad.
    And this would ruin our relationship.

• I feel ya, this is exactly how I feel. I'll always be awkward with kids.

• Well it definitely changed me. I was only 22 independent and all working at a club and not having to care for anyone but myself. So once I became a mom I chose a career and I care for someone's life. My love life lol I can't a lot because even though I get asked out a lot I just choose not to go or anything I feel like I myself am not ready to date yet.

• Yeah, a child definitely changes someone's life. And becoming a mother at age of 22 it's scary (don't get me wrong, I just can't find another word).

• Only if I was really into them. My fear is to be an adult who has to break up with a single parent, and subsequently have to "break up" with their child as well.

• prefer not because have to work to capture the hearts of his child (ren) and I don't want children.

• I agree, it might take some time to win over a child

• yes and i can't deal with spoilt children , if his are.

• Haha yes, that's why I'm doing my best to raise a gentleman on my side so he's always well behaved and respectful.

• Date them as long as you're okay with their kid (s) remember their kids are always 1st, be prepared to be a mom like figure or have them retaliate against you. Coming from a child of a single mother