Does anyone else find illiterate typing a turnoff?

I'm at the age where I just can't take someone seriously if they type illiterately. Almost as if their worth have gone down in my books. Anyone else feel this way? Let's take dating for example, you try and impress the other person by looking your best, and try to have an intellectual conversation. Therefore, this should be the case in online chats/texting. Am I being too harsh? Too old fashioned? Of course, once you are familiar with the person, it seems alright but at the start, it really puts me off.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not really these days. It's hard to find anyone who isn't an illiterate texter or typer when it's not for an essay. I always type with good literacy, but I have had to get used to the fact that no one else is going to.

I always ask the people I text why they type so shitty, and they just say "well I can't type/text fast so I don't have time to correct mistakes". My best friend and my crush both text terribly most of the time.

What turns me off more is that I often text multiple sentences, and they reply with like two words.

What Girls Said 4

• No I don't care. I Respond to things online frequently and I'm usually typing on a tiny screen. plus my computer will make correction mistakes all the time, so I invariably have mistakes. Unless I stop stand still and do nothing but tyoe all day which isn't possible.

So when I see texting mistakes from someone, as long as I can get the jist of it or they are willing to explain, then its no bother.

I know how easily typos occur on a screen so I don't judge bc of it.

If I'm intersted in someine, I prefer talking I really dislike texting... So I really don't care if they can't typr. I want to talk face to face. Id rather they suck at texting so they won't want to lol

And of course if it's bc of lack of comprehension then I'm definitely not going to judge. People have different levels of comprehension in different areas. A lot of people can tyoe excellently but are complete assholes. in my opinion that's one of the more intractable learning disabilities.

• And destructive.

The one thing I do mind is if I didn't catch something bc its not clear and the person refuses to rewrite it. Thiugh they are capable... But that rarely happens.

• I find it appalling if they are purposely typing in that manner. If they have a learning disability, I am more understanding. Writing, reading, literature and language in general are all passions of mine and it saddens me to no end to see people purposely misspell things, use poor grammar or type in "L33T". I feel the same way as you do, so I do not find it old-fashioned or too harsh, but I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with us.

• I don't care for it. I don't base someone's intelligence on the way they type when chatting or texting.

• Yeah it's annoying... especially when they make so many intentional errors you have no idea what they're trying to say.

What Guys Said 9

• I agree with you 100%, the need for text chat has vanished since the advent of unlimited texts and data-reliant methods of communication. As for bad spelling in general, its usually indicative of someones intelligence and how they like to conduct themselves.

• I really don't care. im talking to her in person more than texting her anyways.

• Yeah but I'm talking about early stages when you go about texting each other, getting to know each other a bit via texts, creating a comfort zone between you two, before meeting and dating

• just because of the fact it is the early stages, I would overlook it.

• One typing mistake here and there won't make me think someone's stupid, but if the complete text is full with grammar mistakes ( which are a lot worse ) and full with spelling mistakes, it would be painful to read and hard to even discern single words.

• Very big turn off. They come across as either stupid or lazy, like you aren't worth the effort of writing clearly.

• Unless I've seen the person text something legible, I can't stand short-hand texting. Something about it just bothers me deep down to my core xP

• Yeah its a turnoff, its not impressive

• I feel the same way. If they don't use punctuation it's ok but if they're don't care whatsoever then I have less respect for them.

• wut r u tlkn about lol?1!

Honestly, it annoys me too.

• People "fat finger" tiny keyboards all of the time. Also, many have never taken a typing class. So.. try to be less judgmental...