What do you think about dating an atheist?

If you found out the person you were dating or were interested in was an atheist and did not to go to church, would you become uninterested in that person or have second thoughts about the relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• i stay in india where there are people belonging to all castes and religions.everybody lives happily together

but the moment you mix up things i.e you try to pin-point or argue over some person's belief,it becomes a mess.most of my friends are religious but whenever they try to force me into something tht is against my beliefs or when I try to do this to them,it creates a problem.rest of the time,its totally normal

so I guess people dating each other should keep this in mind tht they do not mix up or call on each others beliefs

-=peace=-

What Guys Said 6

• I am a non believer of all religions so this would be a good match for me. Religion and I do not get along well, so I have a tendency to avoiding deeply religious women in regards to dating. Atheist and agnostic are good with me.

Many of you may find this upsetting. Why do I feel this way? Because I want a love to be genuine between her and I, not because it is God's will not would I want to be a minor influence in her life being behind religion. It is why I left religion to begin with.

• As an atheist I would consider how serious the other person is about their beliefs before I would date them to avoid any possible conflicts in the future. It would really annoy me if she tries to drag me to church with her or convert me. But that's just me. Others may not mind it at all.

• Something like that I don't think would bother me. Now I believe in God, but I don't want to get into a religious debate/conversation on our first couple dates. Or even get into a debate over religion for the most part anyway.

• If his lack of Faith conflicts with your basic belief system, then it could be a problem in your relationship. You have to decide if this is important enough to you to break up with this person, and move on.

• Well depends on how important church or religion is to you. If it's very important to you, then for me that is a deal breaker. But that's me. Because later on down the road, what if the other person doesn't ever change their mind. But you get closer and closer with them and then get married. If it is still important to you, then it would definitely cause some division in the relationship. But it all depends on how important it is to you.

• As a Christian I would but I would only consider dating other Christians that's how important my relationship with Christ is. You have to decide how important that issue is to you

What Girls Said 4

• I can totally relate to this, my boyfriend is an atheist, and I am a strong believer in god. At first I didn't really know what to think about our relationship, asking myself whether it would really work or not. But its been 8 months now, and we never think about religious beliefs or anything. He doesn't bother me about being a believer, and I don't bother him about being an atheist, its ur call in the end. But I don't think it makes that big of a difference. You both just need to respect one another's opinions and beliefs, and not dwell on the fact. Then ur relationship should work out just fine.

• What happens down the road though if you get married? How will you raise your kids? What about your beliefs about what happens after you die? You don't think that will come into play and affect your marriage?

• It's complicated sometimes, wondering how things will turn out. if we get married and have a family I of course would want my children to go to church/believe in God,an afterlife, etc. I'm still working on that, I don't have answers, I know it might get complicated but Marcus [My boyfriend] respects what I believe, and a good parent would never say believing/not believing is the wrong way to live. I'd be disappointed if my kids didn't believe, but in the end, its their choice, you can only hope.

• For me personally, it would be a really big deal. I wouldn't date someone if there's something that would be a huge problem if we were married. I'm a pretty devout Catholic, and I just think that religion would get in the way, ESPECIALLY if we had kids (and I definitely want to have children with the person I marry). An atheist would probably object to teaching his children that there is a god, while I would strongly object to NOT teaching them this. This would cause major issues, and applies to any non-Christian for me.

It's not that I don't like non-Christians, don't get me wrong. Many of my friends are Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, agnostics, Wiccan, Ba'hai, etc. It's just that I think marriage would not work out. And while not every date ends up with a marriage, every marriage started with a first date. It would tear me apart if I fell in love with someone I knew I couldn't be with forever.

• Wow, this question is so alien to me, where I live everyone is secular, and to be religious is perceived as something pretty suspect. I'm agnostic, and even that is considered odd. So you could easily turn the question around - How would you feel about dating someone religious? I know many of my friends wouldn't. Just a thought.

• I agree, you have to balance how much that means to you, how can it affect your relationship. It is a personal choice question. I, for one, would not have a problem with that. But it is how that makes you feel that is important.