Should parents have control over their daughters love life?

18 years old threw her an ultimatum between them and me. I think this is ridiculous.

Most Helpful Girl

• After 18 parents should only have control over a child (male or female) when that child is still living under their roof, where they are still the care takers and providers for that person. If they are providing for that person, then they are still a child and until they can care for themselves responsibly, the parents should have some say in the well-being of said child.

If they are living on their own and are responsible adults, parents should no longer have dictatorship over their decisions, but should still be permitted to give suggestions from life experience in the hopes they will make better judgements. (Ex: If you were in and out of prison, A parent should have the ability to suggest that she make better life choices because you will bring her nothing but trouble. Then they should leave it up to her whether or not she uses that information wisely.)

What Girls Said 2

• I agree, even before the age of 18, let's say from 14 onwards parents should not control their daughter's/son's love life, I mean they can give opinions and stuff but they shouldn't control it! Aren't you allowed to be with someone who you love? It's not like you even control who you fall for, so I think that its mad. If the parents don't like the relationship there must be something specific that they don't like so I think they should tell them that they see something wrong but they shouldn't say you are/are not allowed to date that person or whatever.

• Kinda... you can't blame them.. they are just trying to protect their children if i have a kid no matter what age they are untill they reach 20 i will try my hardest to stop them getting heart broken yet it depends on how i see their bf treating them:)
    its a parents job to protect their child or children the best way they know how

What Guys Said 2

• I guess they don't like you much, but unfortunately it happens if she depends on them.

• They've decided you're not good enough for her, it's up to you to prove them wrong!