Why do guys make promises that they later don't keep?

For example: I'll always love you, we're going to get married, we'll be together forever, etc.
I have a hard time believing that a guy could be so manipulative as to straight up lie for months and months on end. Do their feelings just change? If so, should they be more careful with saying stuff like that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes it is manipulation, the sex is good and you look good on our arm so we want to keep that going until we're bored or we line up an upgrade. Other times we mean it but you change or we change so our feelings for you change.

What Guys Said 3

• Hahaha. That isn't really a promise. It is a feeling you get when your in a relationship and in love. Every relationship I been in I have that mentality off all those. But as in life things happen (on either end) and it's not meant to be.

• Many do, many don't. I'd always be careful if I were you. See if all their actions match their words. There are a lot of players around.

• Women do it too, you know.

"I'll always love you", lost count of how many times I heard that from my ex...

What Girls Said 1

• An untrustworthy guy! Never thought there was such a thing lol