Would you consider this when dating?

So for guys and gals I wanted to know something. Would you be willing to seriously date someone with Type 1 diabetes? In the long run assuming you would consider marrying this person, you would have to be constantly aware of their health, accept your children might inherit the gene, and you would have to be educated on your partners diabetes. Is it worth it to you?

Just asking this cause I'm coming up on my 1st anniversary of being diagnosed.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah for sure. It doesn't seem like a big obstacle to me.

What Girls Said 6

• I would date this guy, it wouldn't change my feelings for him. Love comes in any shape and color and is amazing no matter what comes with it. So if I really love this someone I wouldn't care, I would stand by this person and be there for him when he's sick or he needs me, regarding children, I would consider adoption as an option, in case that it is necessary.

• That's sooo sweet! And adoption probably wouldn't be needed, there is a small risk but if the children do end up having it, it would be detected way early on resulting in healthy yet diabetic children

• Yeah I could. It's more common than people realize, and I think everyone should be trained for emergencies along with CPR.

• Yes it is. Several studies have narrowed the gene to be most common in people of Scandinavian descent or habitation. So living in a cold mountainous climate increases your chances particularly when you are descended from Scandinavian/British peoples.

• I wouldn't care, but you wouldn't want to date me. Why? I'd make you exersize and eat healthy so things wouldn't get worse for you. Yes, I might be worried about what would happen if kids occurred, but you can't let little things get in the way.

• Eating healthy and exercise is good but for type 1 diabetics over exertion from exercise can be fatal. I am fairly athletic and I always have a hard time with my blood sugars after I do my training ( too low blood sugar levels= coma< death) but yes being healthy helps a lot!

• I understand quite a bit about it, not saying I'm an expert as I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But if you didn't exersize and had type 1 type 2 or type 3 (type 3 is still more a theory) then you would still have a harder time controlling levels wouldn't you? Sorry if I am getting overly detailed

• Oh no your totally fine and totally right! But everybody had different physical needs, hypothetically your next significant other might have type 1 and you might learn that they take care of themselves so well you might not feel the need to be so concerned, but yes most of the time exercise does help:)

• If I liked you I wouldn't care. But it would be harder to get the ball rolling because I'd be constantly thinking about it.

• With diabetes it's something you have to constantly think about, your next meal could kill you type thinking is normal with type 1 diabetics.

• Exactly. And it's scary.

To be honest, it WILL hinder you in the dating world. But a girl who likes you should be willing to make the sacrifice.

• Yes it will. I was sick for a long time before I was diagnosed, I lost 30lbs or muscle. I looked like a holocaust victim, once I started getting healthy I realized I was way skinnier than before, it really hurt my confidence (I am a fairly well toned muscular person), and so far since being diagnosed I've only gone on one date! So thank you for sharing that, I totally agree!

• only if you really loved them

• I would definitely date someone with diabetes, if i really loved the person it would be worth it.

What Guys Said 2

• My nephew is type 1. Don't see what the big deal is. That would not deter me.

• My buddy dated a girl with diabetes forever that he loved. And it became an issue many times, but he didn't seem to mind.

I wouldn't care, but I would worry a little. Like, wouldn't go camping without bringing a week's supply of glucose/insulin or something.

NOBODY DIES ON MY WATCH

• I used to go camping all the time, now it's a big hassle and I don't go as much but hey that's too bad they had those close calls:(