Ladies, do you think its fair to expect both the benefits of feminism and chivalry?

fkas;fkajdk;afdsljkafhsdjkfh

Most Helpful Girl

• Chivalry has now shifted in definition. Now basically it's called people be nice to people because they're people.

• you have a great point. thumbs up

• Well unless you follow the actual code of Chivalry then its a bit more complicated then simply being nice to people.

What Girls Said 11

• It's the extremes of feminism that prevent chivalry. If a feminist is realistic about it then they can Co - exist. But it's the feminist that are like I don't need a man to take care of me that prevent chivalry.

• here you go. this is what i was talkin about. I've seen feminism being more than just equal rights... this is why i m raising the question. seems everyone has their own definition...

• The proper definition should be equality between females and males. Some feminist take it too far to the point of creating inequality and making women superior or even weaker depending on how you look at it. Also by not considering or completely denying certain facts that the two genders are indeed different i. e. men are physically stronger then women it makes feminist in general lose credibility.

• Yes. Chivalry is, or should be, gender neutral. It's basic politeness. So feminism and chivalry should have no conflict with each other. Anyhow, the whole idea of chivalry sprang up back in the age of knights, when it was just men who were seen as strong enough to be warriors and protect others, something that feminism opposes anyhow. Now, chivalry as a way for men to treat women special has mostly disappeared, and only a few remnants are still here.

• Personally, i am not a feminist and i believe that different genders are naturally suited for different roles, for example men are naturally stonger than women in general (not taking into consideration the minority of hench women and weedy guys).

Therefore i think women who demasculinise men cannot also expect the man to be chivalrous because they have taken away his masculinity.

If a girl wants chivalry she has got to let a man be a man otherwise the only kind of guys she dates are pussies.

• If you're talking about things like guys paying for dates or opening doors for girls, then no. It's actually part of the problem because even if it sounds nice, it gives the message that girls need guys to do stuff for us because we can't do it on our own, so I actually don't like that whole chivalry thing.
    However I do think it's nice when people open the doors for you just because its good to make other people feel nice (without focusing on gender, just people doing nice things for others).

• Just wanted to say feminists, are suppose to fight for equal rights among ALL not one gender or race over powering the other. You can see some of these people throughout history, as well as recent. Like Emma Watson included a man in her feminist act. Many supposed feminists don't realize that is what this should mean, but it is. Being chivalrous just means being respectable and having certain morals, it isn't quite specific enough to compare, unless you want to joust...

• Absolutely! Feminism refers to gender equality in all aspects, while chivalry is defined as "the combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice." Just because I demand equal pay at the workplace, equal treatment, equal rights, (etc), doesn't mean I don't look for chivalrous qualities in a man. "Courage, honor, justice.." I don't believe such qualities negate the fundamental beliefs of feminism

• was gonna say fuck your opinioni but you're Canadian like me and i just got home from starbucks. i couldnt do it.

• by the way, i m playing lol

• no, it is unfair that men think they can benefit from chivalry and feminism.

• read the question again.

• yeah nah you're right with regards to white colonizer feminism. It is all about their entitlement to colonial power. Chivalry is a lot of eurocentric nonsense, also. I understand where you're coming from, I guess. I will not joke like this any more on your question.

• its ok. i m a gentleman and all that but sometimes i feel these things werent designed for women of this age... theyre like men... and i often feel i m being pushed out or ill get taken advantage of

anyways, its ok =) hugs

• So I can't get the right to vote and have a guy open a door for me? Are those both really that hard?

• those aren't things thats on the qusetion though

• Feminism-the belief in women's rights. Women voting is a women's rights idea. So yeah using women's voting is actually a feminist idea so I could use that as one specific example

• No, I expect everyone is well treated. No need to make a big deal about women wanting to be respected, because of centuries of being dominated and abuse by men...

• I'm sure there is a balance that could be had, it's just a very fine balance

• agreed dramaqueen

• Haha same here :D

• No. But a lot of things confused with chivalry are just common courtesy. A lot of things confused with feminism are just rudeness. I believe in a world where people treat people well just because they're people.

• agreed with your view. i love you.

• I love you too. :)

• Well yes and no the virtues of Chivalry are common courtesy but the actual code is far different, there are two kinds of people regarding this those that follow the virtues and those that follow the code.

What Guys Said 4

• According to textbook-definition, feminism is about equal rights for both genders. Of course, we all know definition and reality are two different things.

In REALITY, feminists hate men and won't to take away rights from men, and allow women (and women ONLY) to gain power.

I have noticed feminists are against gender roles (but only when it benefits women.) So I don't think it's fair to expect both!

• No, also a lot of people on here confuse Chivalry, there are the virtues of Chivalry each of these virtues can be broken down into a common courtesy (s) or just overall good acts that every body should follow.

Faith
    Charity
    Justice
    Sagacity
    Prudence
    Temperance
    Resolution
    Truth
    Liberality
    Diligence
    Hope
    Valour

And there is the actual code of Chivalry and the commandments that go with it as well as other supplementary codes and arts such as courtly love and its chief rules.

• They are actually not opposites. There are many schools of feminism and quite a number do not actually oppose social normative behaviors surrounding customs (what you consider Chivalry) albeit modern chivalry has nothing to do with the actual code of knights anyway. Most men don't generally volunteer to take care of widows and children and treat everyone with kindness, dignity, and protect all men and women who are unable to defend themselves.

• There are no feminists on a sinking ship!

• lmfao!!! oh the double standards and the lost women of society today!!

• @LauraMarx TIL there are undercover seafaring feminists who sabotage ships knowing they'll have a space on a lifeboat, the Titanic was a fucking conspiracy!

@Asker I would jettison the ugly and fat women to stay afloat!