Should you become good friends with a girl before dating?

... or should you immediately ask them out? What's the best thing to do?
Is there a risk in just getting friendzoned?

Most Helpful Guy

• You can do either, but you should make your intentions clear that you're interested in an intimate relationship, not just a friendship, earlier rather than later (but in an appropriate way).

What Girls Said 6

• You can get to know her and be her friend without being friend zoned. You can still flirt and make it obvious that you like her but get to know her at the same time. It gives you time to really figure out if you like her. You don't want to jump into a relationship with someone you barely know it could be a very short relationship if you guys have too many differences.

• You might feel like you have nothing to lose if you hardly know her, but if you're not good friends your chances of her accepting are pretty much nil.

• Personally, I'd prefer that but if I was already really into the guy, I'd just want him to ask me out and get it over with. I can be pretty impatient.

• I think you should. It's good to get to know somebody before just jumping into something.

• My SO and I became friends before we began to date, I know him since 2008.

What Guys Said 1

• Either works, but I have always been an odd ball where I realize if I see someone as a potential dating or just a friend early on. so any girl I dated, was someone I had not really met before. but I think that would be a bit more rare.