What's the biggest mistake you've made in dating?

What's the biggest mistake you've made while dating somebody that you thought was a good idea, but was very dumb and pushed the person away and killed the relationship altogether?

For me, it was casually telling a girl I dated that my parents wanted to meet her a week into dating.

It was both my fault and hers though. It was my fault for misreading signals and being naive and inexperienced in dating, only had hookups at the point.

On the first date, this girl asked to go to my house, knowing I lived with my parents, and when we got to my house she was randomly looking at family photos. I go up to her and she's like I love looking at family photos and then starts asking about my brother's and then looks at my mom and dad's honeymoon photo and she goes awwwwww that's so cute. So I got this vibe that she wanted to meet family, especially because she wanted to go to my friend's bonfire later on.

A week later when I casually said my parents would like to meet her, she flipped and said that's too soon which threw me off. And then we set up a 3rd date that week and then she flaked and then went back to the ex she complained about.

I learned not to do that again but at the same time, I thought it was kinda weird she asked to go to my house on the first date and scoped out family photos. I may not have the best dating history, but I do know that is not first date material.

What were your experiences?

Most Helpful Girl

• Comparing my current boyfriend to my ex's. I didn't intentionally do it to make him mad, I was just stupid at the time and obviously not over one of them. Now before I get into a new relationship, I want to make sure that I am ready to move on with my ex.

• Yeah that's good. I think comparing current dates to ex's is dumb. They're all gonna be different regardless. But it's healthier move on from your ex before you date someone else.

Do you think it's weird that said girl asked to go to my house on the first date and scoped out family photos and then flipped when I told her my parents would like to meet her?

• Well it's not your fault. That is her problem :P She probably assumed that you lived alone because of your age.

• Nah, I was 23 at the time. She knew I lived with my parents, even before we went there.

What Girls Said 4

• Being needy too early on.

• Definitely been there before, but I've learned from my mistakes. You know what I realized recently? I think it takes dealing with a needy person to realize how much of a turn off it is. Granted it all depends on the level of mutual interest but I had a girl I met off POF get ahead of herself and talk about plans a month to a few months away on our first date. That turned me off a bit.

• When a girl is too comfortable with you like that it means that she sees you more of a friend and might be using you as a rebound. The fact that she went back to her ex defo means that you were a rebound or distraction. Sorry to hear that, she seems rude.

• Oh she definitely used me as a rebound. I just didn't know what rebounds were until after she ditched me. I don't think she just saw me as a friend as she was definitely physically attracted. I think she was probably manipulating me for sex and looked at family pictures to make it seem like she wasn't promiscuous. I did want to have sex with her just not on the first date as I liked her more than that.

While I may have dodged a bullet, the problem was it fucked me up with how I handled dating after her. I felt like I was on the rebound dating women after her.

• Well she wasn't nervous but she was definitely coming on super strong. I mean she was saying very overzealous things prior to meeting like "wanna talk again? I love hearing your voice" and "I wanna be with a tall, funny, cute, sweet, guy right now? Wanna be with a tall, cute, funny, sweet girl?" and when I jokingly said no, she got sensitive and said what? and then i told her yes, she's like good because honesty is all I speak.

I mean I don't have a lot of experience in relationships but I do know there's a fine line between saying hey we should hang out and that. I mean she also asked for a 2nd date and blew up my phone and texted about how she wanted to make out again. She is a master manipulator.

• Honestly, I feel bad for you really. She was acting that way on purpose lol. I hope you don't judge me but I used a guy as a rebound too ughhhh and I hate myself for it. But I defo didn't get back to my ex and it turned out pretty bad but I ended up falling for him. But LMAO this is your question so yeah. That would be one of my biggest mistakes, of getting in a relationship like that. I tried to avoid it but I was so broken from my ex that I just took the first guy who wanted me :|

• Being clingy and having sex to early in the relationship. Im not like that now. Im single after so long but I learned a lot about myself in that relationship.

• Yeah I wouldn't say I was clingy but I've been told I make myself too available to women without even realizing it and that's a turn off.

• Saying the most awkward thing in the world during anal. That's when he pulled out and stormed out.

• lol what'd you say?

• "How are the kids doing?"

He had 3 kids.

• lol that's not too bad. Though there's this one funny joke the comedian Brian Posehn said where he's like if your lady's going down on you, never say were gonna make a mouth baby. lmao

What Guys Said 4

• I've made the mistake of falling into controlling relationships in the past. I'm someone who likes to make people happy even at the expense of my own happiness and there have been women who have taken advantage of that. I also tend to have a think for very strong women and I'm kind of a more laid back dude which is cool but I think I sometimes run into the same problems as women who are into "bad boys" and get hurt by them.

• Yeah the said girl in the question was the type who was hurt by bad boy type, but still wanted them. She is still back with the ex she complained about, thinking she can change him but she's only fooling herself. A girl can't change a guy anymore than a guy can change a girl.

• Falling in love with a married woman!

• Yeah my friend's struggling with that right now. Well actually he just wants for sex but she's in love with him even though she's married and her husband and her are in a bad relationship.

• I hooked up with a girl who had a bf, but I didn't know she was in a relationship until after we hooked up. She was the one who initiated it and flirted with me too.

• I knew she was married. But the same, she initiated. Then she was the one who backed out.

In between the sex was AMAZING!!

• nothing much buddy nothing

• Dating someone in 7th grade. No point to that 2 month "relationship". She must of felt completely different because when I told her I find this relationship to be silly and pointless, especially at our age she cried. I just kind of laughed because dating in middleschool is stupid. It's like you can't drive, you don't have money to go on legit dates and it's like the most I have seen people do is give cheap $20 costume jewelry. I think for a relationship to be in the very least legit one has to drive they can meet up outside of school and one has to have some sort of income to do things. Now not to say sitting at home is not fun but I would get quite bored of that and being 15 I would feel bad especially knowing my age group is 18/19 ( I take classes on a college campus ) if I could not take her to dinner or a movie or something.

• Yeah junior high and high school relationships don't really count.