Is friends with benefits a dead end always?

Been talking to and hooking up with this great guy. He says he doesn't want a relationship right now, as we both got out of them semi recently. He says he could see us dating down the road... whatever that means. Do you think it's all BS? Should I walk away?

I would like a relationship but don't know if I should wait around or walk away.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm, if you are 'hooking up' you have a relationship... for his convenience. It's sex without obligation or commitment. Which, in reality, is kind of crazy, since any relationship, even non-sexual ones always involve some kind of expectation, i. e., courtesy, honoring one's word regarding mutual activities or providing some service. Even children develop them. It's normal. What your 'great guy' wants is a concubine... a vagina to release sexual tension. Now, the 'friends with benefits' thing would be ok if you just wanted a male sex organ to relieve your sexual needs as well... and only that. You know what I mean... it's like having a dildo in the flesh, lol! But it sounds like to me you want something different... a boyfriend, which is a whole other kettle of fish. A boyfriend will not 'use' you for sex or just passing the time entertainment. He is invested in being with you and developing such things as mutual interests that tie you into a bigger picture like school and career goals, social justice, or even something spiritual. I don't want you to think that I'm being judgmental by what I'm going to say next. If I were you I'd read some books or talk to a counselor and find out for yourself what it means to have a healthy self-regard or self-esteem. The guy you are sleeping with is neither a 'friend' or a 'boyfriend.' My opinion... walk away!

What Guys Said 4

• It is not BS. I moved from a friends with benefits to a long term relationship. We were both in bad relationships and found that we had great sex together. We did the sex thing for over a year.

We then moved on to being in a relationship that lasted for almost 3 more years where we no longed needed friends with benefits . She moved away to be with her mom who was terminally ill.

But, what started out as just casual amazing sex, turned into a very special relationship.

• Don't go in to a friends with benefits with the hope of it turning into a relationship. It can happen, but it's more often a sure path to heartbreak if you place hope on the idea.

• Yeah you should probably walk away and maybe hold onto his number, text him in a few months if you're both still single and go on a date.

• it always gets messy, in my view

What Girls Said 1

• I had a friends with benefits, we both started to like eachother. We started dating it look me less than 24 hours to realise I didn't want to be with them.
    If you're having friends with benefits don't let them manipulate you into a relationship!