Do guys actually ask girls out on dates anymore?

Not the over text "hey wanna hang out" type of thing but actually go up to a girl and ask her out on a date. A girl you don't really know but want to get to know. Does that actually happen and do guys actually do that?

By "don't really know" I don't mean stranger. I mean someone you aren't super close with but know and would like to know more.

Most Helpful Guy

• I want too, but the rejection part is what is really scary...

Because I'm in high school, sophomore, if you get like rejected or something, everyone knows by the end of next block...

The news spreads like wildfire, and frankly, it is quite embaressing to get shot down by the girl you like..

What Guys Said 19

• All the time, I just get rejected

• I used to. But after getting stood up like 3-4 times in a row and then being rejected every other time I've sorta quit asking. Gets to be tiresome and stressful.

• Haha, how else am I supposed to get dates? Haven't had to for a little bit because of relationships, but when I do, I find it rather easy to do. I think a lot of guys just aren't working hard enough to get past their fear of rejection. If I want a date, I will ask a girl out anywhere I see her: coffee shop, mall, walking down the street, etc.

So yes, men still do that. But it seems today a lot of boys (notice I didn't say "men") like to hide behind texts and crap like that and say "hang out" rather than take an actual risk.

• I believe guys out there are scared of rejection
    that's why we don't want ask a woman (girl) out
    now this might not be for all of us but for some.

• I've heard that's much less common, probably due to many guys approaching on dating sites and mediums like Facebook. I was talking to a girl the other day about this. She also complained how she thinks almost every guy just wants sex.

• Yes. It happens.

• Well usually, we prefer to at least know her/be comfortable with her somewhat before asking her out. It's kind of awkward and not really a good idea to just go up and ask some random girl out.

• True. But even a girl that you kind of know?

• For me, the asking out part isn't the problem. It's the actual social skills, talking, flirting, etc part.

• I don't know how to flirt either ha

• Sure, that definitely happens. I guess it's just easier to do it through text. You don't have to be as brave.

• Yeah I did that about 3 months ago.

• Maybe. I've never done it. But I'm sure other guys have.

• I get rejected too much, so I get put off.. :/

• I do, but I'm more traditional in that sense.

• I do but usually I Just hook up with them.

• I used to, till they all had "BF's"

• wow, I thought I was the only person who felt that way... I am gay

• Yes they do. Happens all the time.

• Go up to a girl and ask her on a date? Of course not. Would you go out, ALONE, AT NIGHT, with someone you don't know and literally just met? Didn't think so.

Ask a girl that he does know out on a date? It's falling out of practice. It's just too much pressure to perform and people wonder why they have to go through all the motions and check all the boxes, when they could be doing genuine things with her to get to know her in their own way. You ladies might have an overly romantic outlook on the world, but that just doesn't extend too far outside the Disney movies and for good reason.

You think of it as a sweet, romantic night where he comes to your house, knocks on your door, tells you that you look nice, hands you a flower or some kind of gift, opens your car door for you, takes you to a nice restaurant, pulls your chair out for you, pays for your dinner, takes you to a movie, and only goes for a kiss on the cheek at the end of the night.

Read the above paragraph like 2 or 3 times and imagine how that sounds either very dull, very forced, catering the whole date to the woman, or all 3. No thanks, genuine date ideas (even if they start with "hey wanna hang out") over that cliche BS any day.

• Okay I'm not saying strangers and I'm also not saying I want that Disney crap where you hear eachother singing and boom you're in love. Trust me I know how the real world works and I also don't like it when a guy pays for me. But I also think if a guy wants to ask a girl out he should have the balls to do it to her face. And vice versa if a girl wants to ask a guy out.

• Yeah, I actually asked a girl I had JUST met last year out for my birthday because we both enjoyed the casino, we both hadn't been in a year and she sounded like she would have been interested, the problem is, she was still on the clock and HAD to say no

• Yes I usually opt to ask for a date instead of a hangout session, it sends the message across better.

• But do you ask in person or over the phone?

• In person generally, often when one of us is leaving to avoid potential awkwardness.

What Girls Said 4

• I've never been asked out or known any girl who has been. I've had boyfriends but I've never been approached by a guy and asked out on a date.

• Yup my boyfriend asks me out on dates. He asks me if he can take ne out to dinner and a movie all the time.

• It does still happen.
    My friend has been on quite a few of those dates.

• If you're worth it to a man than he will