How do you feel when someone says you can do better than the person you are dating?

Recently started dating a guy and seems like some people are blunt enough to say you can do better or I expected you to be with someone different. How do you feel about that? and has someone ever said that to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• They are saying it based on a shallow idea of who they think both you and the other person are, also if they are of the opposite sex they are biased in that they are most likely interested in you and are jealous of the other person getting to be with you.

People tell me that about my boyfriend all the time, but they don't know how amazing he is. He is one of the greatest men I know and even though they think I should be with someone who may be a meathead jock type... I don't want nor am I attracted to that kind of male.
    When I hear it I usually say, "Why would you say that? You have no idea how amazing ________ is, he is perfect for me." and I disregard the conversation and move on.

What Guys Said 2

• Do they know something you don't? Maybe they are forewarning you of what's to come or maybe they are jealous. who knows.. ask them next time someone says it to you!

• I did ask and it was just they felt the guy was very different than their expectation of my mate. I didn't think people actually assumed how your mate would be based on your persona.

• Alright.. I gave come across my friends telling me a loud girl didn't seem to be my type, which they were right, I figured that out shortly after... but anyway... it took a while for me to see what was bothering me in the relationship and it was her being loud and constantly negative.. I didn't see that but they saw it way before I did. Just because they know my personality and sometimes it's nice to have someone see me through their eyes.. almost like I couldn't see it. If that makes sense

• Never heard that.

What Girls Said 1

• If they're talking about looks, everyone has their preferences... don't be ashamed of person, after all, they're human and have their ups and downs just like everyone else. The only person who can judge whether or not they're right for you is YOU.