How long is it supposed to take to get over someone completely?

I liked a guy for about a year, then we went on a couple of dates (at the end of October) and things didn't work out so we left it. How long is it supposed to take to get over someone? I don't know why it's taking so long.

Update: this isn't my first rejection and we only went on a couple of dates, we were never in a relationship
Update: the last time I saw him was just before Christmas if that makes a difference

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as it takes there is no set time that says "you will get over it after X amount of months/years" I'm learning that at the moment!

What Guys Said 2

• It takes as long as you want it to take. If you seriously think "ah fuck it" he'll be out of your mine as soon as you finish the phrase.

• The longer it takes the more real it was. That or you're desperate but I don't think so

• Ugh, that's not very encouraging

What Girls Said 5

• It's not established how long someone takes to get over a break up. It depends for everyone.. Anyway, to get over a break up, the best thing is to start doing something new and exciting that you look forward to. Start going to a class, learn something you always wanted to learn, be it a language, a sport... or just start working out if you don't, work on your self esteem, meet people. I know it's what everyone says, but it's true.

• We were never in a relationship though, we went on like 2 dates

• I was with my guy for 10 months and he broke up with me six months ago. I'm still not over him. There's no amount of time you can put on getting over someone because it just depends on you and your feelings and your relationships. It may take just a few days or it could take a year. You never know.

• It depends on how long you were together and how strongly you felt for the person... it varies, every break up is different.

• We weren't in a relationship, there was no 'breaks up'

• Haha thanks, I see what she means though

• Depends on the person, I did that after my relationship broke up but it did nothing to help me get over it

• Only time is your only answer. It could take weeks, months or even a year. Distract yourself or something or act like they don't exist.

• There is no real time limit, it really depends on the situation