Does being friends first help or hinder your chances of becoming boyfriend/girlfriend?

Their is this girl I like and I think she likes me back but I don't know her very well. I ran into her and their was nobody around I was like I guess everyone stayed home today and she was like "or they had a date" this was on Valentine's day i'm not sure if that was her way of hinting we should go out or if i'm just overthinking it lol To make it more complicated she works where I see her so i'm not sure if she is just being nice cause its her job or if she genuinely wants to hangout/ get to know me? She seems shy like myself I ran into her at the local pool and she was by herself and wasn't talking to anyone constantly looking at her phone. She has a lot in common with me from what I've seen so far. Damn dating I wish it wasn't so hard for me ugh

I don't really know how to ask a girl out properly. I haven't asked anyone out in 3 years I don't want to mess this up

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know where she works but if it's something like a cashier, next time you see her try to talk about "real life" stuff. See if she's receptive. A lot of times cashiers will just be like "hi how are you," casual comments about what you're buying, etc. Basically try bringing up something you would talk about with a friend, that doesn't fit into the shallow "customer" banter pattern she's probably used to. Just make sure it's not "so where do you work?" lol.

What Girls Said 1

• If you like her then go for it. Just don't get to the point where you are best friends because once you are there, there is no going back

What Guys Said 2

• If you approach her like you are "Friends first", then you have put yourself in her "friend zone" from the start. Let her reject you and put you there on her own.

• I don't bother with that, just get straight in there. I think if they know you as a friend first they're more likely to take liberties with you.