How do you like a man to dress?

Hey folks,

This question is mainly aimed towards the ladies. However, guys can feel free to add in their input too!

In any case, I'm going to be asking out my first girl very soon and wanted some advice from the girls from this community to add in their opinions on the way I dress to highschool. Here's a little background. Most of my life, I've dressed predominantly in what is known as 'athletic clothing' aka - urban fashion. For most years, I've gone to school wearing things like sneakers, Nike brand clothing, tshirts, or jeans & shorts. About 2-3 months ago, I decide to rework the way I dress to school.

Rather than using sneakers, I've decide to sport my vintage wing tipped dress shoes which I regularly shoe-shine. For pants, I've hopped from jeans over to flat-front chinos with a belt buckle. For tops, I now tend to wear tucked in dress shirts (sometimes with a tie) and sweater vests over them. And lastly, since I'm a fan of the roaring twenties, I slick back my hair and side-part it. Sadly, I myself and only 1 other kid at my highschool dress like this.

It may seem to some that doing this may seem out of the norm, but this is MY style and the way that I like to dress. As I always said, "It's better to be well dressed than under dressed" but that's just me. So now I ask, what's your opinion on this? Do you like my style of dressing, or should I just go back to urban fashion and dress like the other males in my age cohort?

Let me hear your input!

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 6

• Anything is OK in my opinion... Just not the same clothes all the time over and over, hole in socks, etc... and GOOD HYGIENE :-D Good to go!

• I like anything except preppy. That's more about brands than what you think is cool. jus wear what you like whether it's super simple or super complicated and I'll love it.

• Thanks for the good tip. I'm glad to hear that some females out there like their men having a bit of different style! :)

• It's especially cool I you have a set style like Indy or urban. But if your just a jeans an tee kind of guy that's still hot. I'm a fashionista and dated just jeans and tees kind of guys and there was no problem

• Wear what feels right! Although it sounds cliche, it's good to stand out. Also, many girls like guys who take care of their looks so I'm sure that the girl who you're planning to ask out will like your appearance

• Thanks for your opinion, I agree. Going with what feels right is definitely a good idea. However, what do you mean in content by "cliche"? Do you mean like 'not in the norm' like how I put it or something else?

• shorts sneakers and shirt

• Be comfortable with your clothes! That's what girls usuuallly like.

• Yeah, I'd say that's half of the battle right there. The other half is simply finding the right clothes that fits you and looks good on the person in question, haha.

• I prefer guys who just wear t-shirts and jeans and athletic clothes and especially sneakers (idk why but they're just really hot). The reason why I don't really like guys who dress up all the time is because when we have a nice occasion it won't really make it as special if they wear the same thing they do every day. Same thing if they just wear athletic clothes for a nice occasion (that more shows that they don't really care). So I prefer guys who wear normal comfortable clothes on normal days but will dress up on nice occasions. But if you like dressing up all the time you shouldn't try to change yourself to attract more girls.

What Guys Said 3

• How do I like men to dress?

Not at all.

Sorry couldn't help himself.

• Aww, you had to go for it didn't you? :( Oh well.

• Why the frowny face? You asked the question.

• i love dressing like that. go for it.

• Thanks for the positive feedback!

• I've always wanted pair of black wing tips. where the tip is silver. and so are the buttons.

• @Peterpan11, Absolutely! Wing tips are undoubtedly a beautiful shoe to get your hands on. My father had a vintage pair of wing tips from the 1980s so I get to be the lucky one and wear his 35 year old pair of nice looking dress shoes! Haha.

• I would definitely say you at least have a shot with this girl without even seeing you or her you sound like a sharp dresser these girls may think it's odd I dress this way all the time and the girls in my high school love it and my school has a long tradition of dressing sharp to the point where if you are on a sports team you must wear a shirt and tie its not optional and I love that day sometimes I'll mix in a bow tie, a sweatervest like you a blazer I think that the way you dress is great I do my hair like that too by the way its not odd at least not in my school I live in NYC I hope u get this girl a classy guy like u deserved it I know what it's like to go through a style change like that, I dressed like that too before I became preppy last year