Do you believe in online dating?

I've been on online dating for 2 weeks... I still don't know how I feel about it yet. I'm very picky and I won't just talk to anyone. What do you think about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• In the movie Sneakers the thing that blows the girl's cover is the line, "This is the last time I'll try computer dating again" and the villain replies, "A computer matched you with him? I don't believe it. Search the building!"

Hollywood antics aside, do not underestimate the precision of a mate you can find using a well articulated matching system. Several people I know are extremely happy after doing it (okcupid was popular for them), and one is married with children as a result of it. Another fellow I know found love after his wife died using computer assisted dating.

The internet aspect, however, is the part to watchout for. That is where you get the trolls, the guys just trying to message you for sex, and so on. You have to draw things out and see who is serious and who isn't, and obviously meet in a public place at first. Don't give out your personal information until you trust them with it, including your address or cell.

I think it is a good way to save time. It is structured and methodical. Why run around randomly in some locale? Maybe that place isn't going to have good mates for you.

I do believe in online dating as a solution for people, but of course it is no substitute for common sense. I also do not believe in "online relationships" which I think are different than computer assisted matching services, and the two should not be confused.

Also, forget Skype & all that crap. It weeds out the lazy people who just want to webcam you or see your privates.

What Guys Said 14

• In the summer of 2005, the week my divorce was finalized, I got a membership with eHarmony and followed their program to the letter. Within 7 months I met the woman who would become my wife. We will have been married for 9 years this coming June. I have nothing but praise for my experience with eHarmony. Their matching method and system of guided communication was very effective for me.
    At the time I joined, I was working evenings full time, attending college 3/4 time and petitioning for sole custody of my then 4 year old boy.

As to the haters, fuck off. My life is real. My wife is real. That eHarmony membership was the best decision I've ever made. They call these sites online dating. That's the wrong name. What they really are is computerized matching and introduction services. Once the match and intro are made, it's dating in the real world just like everyone else. Isn't that right @GraySailorsBride ?
    Maybe she can relate the story of our first meet up.

• I agree whole heartedly with what @gray_sailor said. For those of you thinking we're were desperate for using an "0nline" dating service, well, you couldn't be more wrong. I've never been desperate. Never had problems getting a date. For us, because we were older, most of our friends are married, the dating pool, such as it was, didn't thrill me. So I expanded my options and quality by joining eHarmony. It was lke s part time job going though all of the steps required in order to be matched up. It required a lot of time getting to know people before you met them. When. Was matched with my husband, we matched so well that we blew through the process in 2 weeks. This usually took a little longer due to the back and forth of the process. I thnk we both recognized what keepers we both were and plowed straight ahead. Pour first in person date was at a little Coffee shop. I was already there, he walks in, plants a big kiss on me, says hi, then goes off to get his coffee and caramel roll.

• 1 year later we were married. And 9 years later we are happier than ever! People need to not judge. Some introduction sites are awesome. Why wouldn't you want to open up the dating pool to more than just people your friend and family know? To the asker, go for it!!! Good luck to you!

• LOL online dating is not the place to be picky. Women notoriously get tons of messages and men get very few to no responses. Guys doing online dating probably won't hardly get any responses, even if they are a good catch. So what does that say about the women that do it?

It's a waste of time.

• It's chance we all take with online dating

just play it safe :)

• I met my wife and mother of my son on MySpace. com when it was still a thing. So yes, it does work.

• MySpace! Haha, my brother met his girlfriend on MySpace many years ago lol.

• Yeah I think my brother has been with her for like 7 years but they're not married. I didn't meet my husband online but if it wasn't for the Internet we likely would never have ended up together.

• The internet is a wonderful thing to begin a relationship, but your relationship can end very fast because of the internet. Its a love hate kind of thing haha.

• Yes, I believe it exists

• It seems like a huge waste of time in my opinion, a thousand desperate guys for every decent girl.

I'd rather meet someone through friends in real life or just strolling about in public.

• Noo I'm not white and I don't know if I'm attractive enough to do online dating. I'd rather just go out with my friends to meet girls

• If I don't have that physical connection I feel like a HUGE aspect of a relationship is missing.

• No I don't believe on this bullshit.

• you should be picky but you will get tired of just reading this stuff so i think you should at least talk to anyone to brake the ice you can't hurt anything by talking

• Fuck no.
    People with no life believe in online dating.

• Or those who's regular lives are too busy to be bothered with bar hopping for brainless men who share nothing in common with them.

• Maybe those too busy people are introvert cowards.

thumbs me down bitches!

• Damn strait there @becca123 Completly agree.

• I do believe in online dating. It is great place to find a lot people for sex lol found 23 in a year lol

• If you online date it means you are desperate. Meating people through friends is right

• LMAO!!! True!! The repeated messages I get from men more than once is obviously desperate. I prefer to meet through people I know rather than this. And what's with men want to online date anywhere around the world?

• Na, it's a pool of desperate rejects who can't do it in real life. Great for hookups though! lol

What Girls Said 10

• I had been using it for about 6 months. Met many nice folks, had great dates, some not so great ones as well. I had usually one to three dates per week, sadly no one I really connected with enough for a second or third date. One guy and I dated casually for four months, but I continued to date and he knew it but made no step towards claiming me. The week I finally cut it off with him, I met the guy I am seeing now. I am perfectly happy, he lives very close and I never would have met him in real life.

I am not desperate, not even close. I do quite well IRL, however the ease of reading a profile and exchanging mail with a potential date makes it miles better than cold-dating a random stranger who you find you have nothing in common with during that first date. I am a full time career worker who home schools a daughter. Not a bunch of time for trolling a singles scene.

Those who dog online dating generally have never tried it, had bad luck with it, or gave up too quickly. Those of us who like it have learned to be patient and know that good things can happen.

Not all sites are created equal. Some just flat out suck, some are for players and hookups, others are great for seeking more. Unlike real life, people can filter out relationships they do NOT want and focus on what they do. If only men and women were forced to wear a tag "hook up for sex' or " seeking a soul mate" to make it as easy.

Two weeks isn't so long. A hint: if someone views you but leaves no message, view them and send an email to break the ice. Also, send friendly emails out to ones who intrigue you, a few WILL respond.

I also found I had to shoot within my league. If I couldn't approach them in a bar, I wouldn't do it online, either. Sadly true, but that's life. :(

• A long time ago I just got out of a toxic relationship. He was a guy I met at work, who tried to pressure me into doing things I didn't wanna do at the time because I wasn't married to him. I broke it off, but I felt lonely. I wanted a buddy, someone to talk to, someone to remind me I was attractive and desirable enough to deserve love. So, I searched Google for some free dating sites and I found Fdating. com (not what you think, the F stands for "free"). I made an account and not long after the messages started coming in. 90 percent were bad apples (desperate old men looking to bag a young hot chick, guys looking for free sex you know what I mean). On that site, you can also see who viewed you. Between all those old men, there was one picture that got my attention. A tall gentleman with brown hair and hazel eyes gazed back at me. We talked, and instantly hit it off. We decided to meet eachother and it was love at first sight. Flash forward three years, that attractive, kind-hearted gentleman is now my husband. And we are so happy and in love still.

• I like conservative guys but I find online has too many party animals and pot heads.

• @523206720 it seems some sites are geared for different types. Tinder seems to be more if a classic party/hook up thing while Match is a bit more settled. I met my current guy on Plenty of Fish after someone made me try it; I always thought that was a hook up site but the filters make it plain what others are seeking. Match was cool but I didn't find a lot of guys in the age group I was seeking. It all depends, I think.

• It can be really aggravating but I have had some luck with online dating. Obviously, not great luck, since I still use OKC, but it's ok.

• Yes I do. It's hard because it's usually long distance and you can never really know if that person is faking about themselves or not. And it doesn't always work out but I believe it can be successful

• I had Okcupid for a bit and I didn't meet my boyfriend there but there were actually a lot of cool people as well as a lot of weirdos. I made two friends which was cool.

My mom met her boyfriend online and she's by no means a "reject" or antisocial and they've been together for 3 years now. My manager also met her husband online 10 years ago and they're running a business together so not "rejects" either.

• I've chatted with this guy who seemed to like everything I liked. Lol! Trying to randomly message me every time. Although he was cool but weird in the same time.

• Online dating is just a part of life now. People have become so busy that dating has been put on the back burner. With the technology we have now, it is easier to find someone who really matches you without waiting for a chance.

• Can't really say, I have never tried on line dating.

• it works for some people.

• I have a very similar situation and my only concern is that , what about if he is doing it too with another girl , how am I supposed to know and stuff!

However I do believe in them!