How do I go about exploring a possible relationship and still remain friends if she's not interested?

I've been somewhat "seeing" this girl I like--and by that I mean we went out for coffee, did dinner on a whim, went on a nice hike up a mountain and text each other a couple of times a week. She's somewhat seeing her ex-boyfriend on occassion, but told me she doesn't feel she wants to get back together with him. I said to her (keeping my success dance internalized) that if she decides to, then she should be gentle about it and leave on a positive rather than a negative. Last time I spoke to her in person she agreed "I'll call you." and then I messaged her two days later that we should get a drink at a bar downtown (she's mentioned she wanted to get a beer together before). What would be the best way to go about keeping in touch and developing something more intimate but still remaining good friends if it doesn't work out?

What Girls Said 1

• You just take a chance, you can't guarantee that you will remain friends if an intimate relationship doesn't work.

What Guys Said 0