When is it normal to have your first boyfriend?

Ok I'm almost 17 and I had my first boyfriend in December... but I broke up with him because he asked me to have sex with him in the third day we were going out so yea... All I want to know is what's the normal age of having a bf.

• 10-12 years old
  • 13-15 years old
  • 16-19 years old

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what you're planning to do with him. Just holding hands and hanging out together is fine at any age in my opinion. Then there are other things like kissing with tongue, sleeping together, any forms of sexual intercourse, etc. which I think don't have one specific minimum age. Everyone develops at their own pace, so you should do these things when you feel you are ready for them instead of holding onto some age that's made up by a stranger on the internet.

What Guys Said 5

• There's no 'normal' age for that. I had my first girlfriend when i was 23, at at that point most of the males here were quite 'experienced'.

Rather than age, 'compatibility' should be the prime factor.

• Depends on the area and social pressure, with luck thrown in there. I talked to girls and "dated" a lot, but my first serious longtime girlfriend was when I was 17. I'm talking dating 6 months or longer. If you mean 1 month/1 week relationships then those are normal at any age in middle school. New SO every other week

• it depends on how matureyou are basically

• Girls tend to date earlier than guys, but having a legit bf before 16 is a joke

• Hmm I have friends that have had a legit bf before 16...

• Yeah so do I but they almost always break up a few months later

• I started dating my boyfriend when I was 14 I believe... might have been 15 anyway and we have been dating for 2 years... so not always a joke.

• I'd say 15-17 is normal. I say this mainly because anything that happens in elementary school and to an extent grade 9 doesn't count because of that you have to be about 15 or in the summer of grade 9 or going into grade 10 before you can even have your first legit boyfriend or girlfriend :)

What Girls Said 9

• My friends used to tell me - you are ready for a boyfriend when you are ready for marriage and kids. You are ready for marriage and kids when you are capable of supporting yourself, your children and your husband if he ever becomes disfigured or brain damaged in a car accident. You are ready for marriage when you are ready to take care of your married family and your parents when they get old and you are ready for marriage when you have the skills, life experience, expertise and worldly knowledge necessary to manage household problems such as a leaky faucet, a broken toilet, a broken computer, a broken dishwasher, a broken clothing washer, when you are ready to clean up your child's vomit, change diapers and run on 4 hours of sleep a day after your children are born.

• I didn't have my first boyfriend till I was almost 19. Hell I didn't even get asked out or go on a date till college. Everyone's time is different.

• I'm 17 too and I've still never had one. Keep your head, heels and standars high girl.:)

• I had my first boyfriend when I was 14, but it wasn't that serious though. I had my real serious boyfriend when I was 16. I guess before 16 you can't really be serious about guys..

• I think the normal age that girls start dating at would be around 14-15, but it varies. I first started dating when I was a few months from turning 18. Dating never interested me, though, so that might be why I started so late.

• Is there a normal age for dating anymore.. It seems like kids are dating more and more at a younger age

• Around teen to young adult years is typical of course it can before and after that.

• Depends on how ready you are. I'd your very mature than its ok to have a boyfriend younger in life.

• Fifteen is normal