Who pays for the first date?

I have always been conventional when it comes to dating. I believe that it is the guy's responsibility to pay for the first date. After that, the woman should offer. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh I totally agree with you. Traditional all the way! I take the risk and ask her out, she takes me for granted and plays hard to get, I of course chase like a baffoon, then we set a date!

On this date, you dont open doors, and you definitely do not take off your own jacket. As for your chair, no need to pull it out. I've got that.

Once you enjoy a wonderful meal where you make every judgement in the world about my credentials and manhood, I've got the check, baby. Dont worry about it.

This is how it should be and always be, 100% traditional all the way! I'll even drive you home because real men dont meet half-way. We drive across town to pick you up in a car that of course you should judge harshly on upon seeing.

I dont get why all these babies cry about being traditional. Men should be men.

What Guys Said 6

• As a courtly old gentleman, I agree. In fact, I think the man should always pay but what with the economy and the Women's Movement, who am I to say? I think a discussion after the first date, if there's to be another, is in order. I always love it when I say I'll pay and she says that if the time ever comes that I need her to help out or pick up the tab, I can tell her without prejudice or otherwise thinking poorly of me. Being helpful while preserving his dignity/ego is a wonderful trait in all people but esp a woman.

• I learned about things from French women. They'll never let you buy them.
    Same for Chinese women.

• I don't believe its the guys responsibility. The person who asks is the person who pays. It just so happens that most of the time, its the guy that asks.

• Whomever invites pays, unless you're a guy then you have an option of paying for your own portion separate or the whole check if you like your date.

• usually the guys I think. social norms dictate that

• I think it depends on the country in Sweden women pay and in America men pay

What Girls Said 4

• I say that, on a date with a straight couple, the man should pay first. It IS conventional; it's like common courtesy - although the woman should offer, the man shouldn't necessarily take up the offer. And if either of them shows up without cash... shame on them.

• when we started dating, my boyfriend insisted on paying first. he said it was just courtesy. after that, we went out for coffee, which i paid. but you are absolutely right.

• technically it should be whoever asked who... but it's usually the guy. .. after so many dates then bills should be split one time guy pays other girl pays.

• Whoever asks the other out should pay