Is the age difference between us okay?

I've been talking to this guy since the beginning of Christmas break. We found each other on Instagram and Facebook through a mutual friend. I'm really interested in seeing where things go, but some of my friends are concerned about the age difference. I'll be 18 in June and he'll be 22 in March. I was worried about it at first, but we are both vowed to chastity (waiting till marriage) so we don't have to worry about that and we really see each other for the people we are, not for our ages.

I don't know what to do! opinions?

something I forgot to mention before, I live I Ohio and will graduate in May and go to Wright State. He goes to Asbury in Kentucky but his family is local here in Ohio. He has about a year and a half left to school and doesn't know where he's going afterwards. I want to move to New York and perform on Broadway & he's a film major. Oh! and I don't have my license yet, so we've never met in person (we tried over break, but my mom wouldn't let me go on a date with a "cradle robber")

Most Helpful Guy

• I'll be 23 this March and my girl is going to be 18 in July. She's already legal if anyone says anything, and I don't intend to stray. Just told her I loved her for the first time tonight. Age difference doesn't matter (within reason!) if you're compatible and know what you want.

• awe! soooo cute! you literally just gave me so much hope for me and my guy! thank you soooo much! <3 and the fact that we are sooo close, 23 in march v 22 in march and 18 in July v 18 in June is kinda crazy! lolz

• The way I see it - yeah, some people might give you some comments now, but in a couple of years nobody will bat an eyelid.

To add, too, we're in a similar kind of situation - haven't met yet. Bit more extreme though. She lives in the USA and I'm from the UK. It's slowly been building up to getting pretty serious and now (not since telling her I loved her - a much bigger confession happened on my part hah) it's gone to another level. We're planning on meeting over in America this summer so absolutely cannot wait. :)

• that's amazing! (I freaking love boys form the uk!!! ahhh! most of my fave youtubers are like bristish/south African living in Britain! and everywhere in Europe! I just love European guys! ah!)
      i'm so happy for you darling!!! and happy early/late/current birthday! you said march, but not when, so i'm justgonna cover the whole month now! lolz! please please please feel free to message me, etc. and let me know how things are going every once in a while!! :)

What Guys Said 3

• Age difference of 20% is a healthy range across the board. And since you aren't planning on sex anyway, it's not like it matters too much. If you want to be with him, something like a few years difference shouldn't even be an issue. Go for it, girl!

• age doesn't really matter. what matters is what's inside. 4 years isn't a lot. i do worry that he could , not saying he will, stray. he can drink party has a lot of freedom and independence. i do feel with his age he has the upper hand on you emotionally. just be careful make sure you can trust him and that he's honest. red flags... any decrease in communications or time together.

• thanks so much darling! I do have to add though that the partying part is unlikely, he had a hard time with partying in his high school and early college years, and has now been sober for about 3 years? so hopefully I don't have to worry about that! I will definitely keep my eyes open for those red flags though! :)

• did u see any of my other?''s

• .. tbh we are both p*rn addicts (i'm smart and good at advice, i never said I was a good person.. which i am a good person other than that one dark addiction of mine) and he's had a problem in the past with not feeling present in his actual physical relationships, so he took a vow to chastity until marriage and I've also taken one for my own religious reasons. He's not a virgin, but he doesn't want to have a physical relationship that goes that far until he is in love and married to that person. So that shouldn't be a problem either! lol thanks so much for the advice! it's really helpful in putting these things into perspective! :) something I usually do for other people but can never do for myself! thanks a million!

• If she's not letting you, don't you think you shouldn't. Why would you disobey your mom. She's your MOM

• my mom's my best friend and I always listen to her but she even admitted to me that she's just afraid of me always trying to go to Kentucky to see him once I get my license...

• not really, I'm not comfortable leaving her for long periods of time

• Then how do you plan on having a long distance relationship?

What Girls Said 5

• That's a fine, normal age so actually. But the age difference shouldn't matter since you aren't planning on having sex before you're 18/married. My parents have an age difference of five years, my aunt and her husband have a difference of eight, and they all have healthy, loving relationships. If you really click with the guy and he treats you well I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out :) good luck!

• If you're connected to someone age doesn't overly matter. I just turned 22 and my bf is going to be 34 in May. We now have a son together! If you think more mature, an older bf/gf is absolutely fine! And 18 to 22, is nothing lol. Don't worry about it!

• I'm from Ohio too! I live about 10 minutes from Wright State! I don't think the age difference is much if both parties are mature and have been able to talk about things like sex and what they want from a relationship.

• thanks girl! and sweet! i'm like 30 minutes away, but spend a lot of time in that area, mainly on base! #Raiders #ohiopride

• I loooove snow days but it's not like you can do anything on them anyway!

• exactly! so it's like a regular day, only there aren't any repercussions for all the homework I just don't do... like ever! haha

• You're 18 meaning you're legal age and you can date anyone you want. 3 years isn't a big age difference at all

• Inthink is ok i have hone out with bigger guys