If women stopped wearing makeup, do you think this statement will still hold true?

According to a graph I saw on this website, women only find 20% of men attractive. Men find something like 40%-60% attractive. If women couldn't wear makeup, would that number decrease for men? Would men find a lot of women less attractive?

• I think men would find a lot of women less attractive
  • I think things would stay the same

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't believe that women only find 20% of men attractive. Maybe if you put 100 men in a room, a woman will at first sight only find 20 of them attractive, but as you get to know people, you can come to finding them hot, even though you didn't at the beginning. You have much higher standards for people in pictures and when you don't know them, than you do for a man you know. Maybe if you find him hot in real life, you wouldn't if you only saw a picture.

• I agree with what you said

What Girls Said 11

• I don't know how men think, so I can't really say, BUT I know I'd find a lot of them less attractive, but in actuality I'd have more respect for them and would find them, later on, more or less attractive depending on their personality, not their looks...
    But the ones that really cake on makeup - those are the ones that should fear this event.
    I don't fear it at all...

• Yea actually, i do think men will find a lot of women less attractive.. it's sad but true. Women should stop wearing makeup everyday so they wouldn't get used to it and become dependent on them. When the skin gets used to makeup then a woman's face will look weird and very pale without it. So to all the women out there: keep it natural!

• If you think about it, it's not that unfortunate. Men don't wear makeup and we survive.

• You got me wrong, i didn't say its unfortunate not to wear makeup but the percentage of guys being attracted to girls more than girls are to guys is more cuz there are many girls who don't have natural beauty which is why there wear makeup and bam they actually become pretty.
      What i meant to say was if a girl is pretty but wears makeup every single day, she won't look as she did without it

• And guys don't have the advantage of makeup soo..:p

• Girls who use make up to enhance their natural beauty will still be beautiful. But girls who try to change what they look like might not look as good because they haven't spent as much time working on their natural beauty. They just tried to look like someone else.

• How do you "work on the natural beauty" of your face? You really can't change the way your face looks "naturally"

• If u have agony u can work on it. You could find a different hairstyle that fits your face. Find natural stuff to make your skin, eyelashes, eyebrows-everything-more beautiful. That's what I mean.

• Maybe, it would make a difference to the girls who wear loads.
    Me and my friends look the sameish without makeup anyway though because we don't wear much, I don't think it would stop certain guys from not still fancying us. We still look like us

• I don't wear make up. Most of it is tested on and tortures animals. The stuff that's cruelty free... Well let's just say I could buy more interesting and useful productive things for the price. And it's bad for your skin.

• Interesting, but what's your answer for the question?

• Hmm I don't know but unlikely you'll get to find out. Unkess make up is banned.

think if guys wore make up , more women would be attracted. Like movie Stars... The supposedly hot guys-without the make up they look average.

• It would change, in a bad way.

4 years ago, I didn't wear makeup at all and guys would barely look at me etc. Now I wear a little bit of makeup which has made a change (I look less tired) and I notice guys staring at me. I tried wearing more makeup once and they stared even more. One day I was wearing no makeup at all and no one was looking.

I think it's about the makeup etc haha.. thay's what I think..

• yeah i think men would find women less attractive!!! this goes to girls who wears tons of makeup

• Absolutely! Makeup can cover bad skin, it can highlight and darken and reshape the face and all in all change a persons appearance. True beauty is rarer, but then again, all people like different faces and shapes.

• I think a new standard of beauty would essentially come into place overtime.

• I believe men don't pay as much attention on the face as on the body.

• If the face isn't good we don't bother. That's where the term "butter face" comes from

• Guys still tend to say they prefer the girls to be natural, without any make up. I don't think they can tell if a woman is wearing the basics so I'm kinda torn. It depends on the women. Some women look better without make up. It's just that most of us look better with it. :)

• Unless you are a make up artist which most women are not you can't make yourself look totally different with make up. They might be hiding flaws , but men still see the women without their make up beautiful. so I think statement would hold true.

• I disagree, but thanks for sharing.

What Guys Said 8

• @Bandit74

I think there'd be a shift down in how men rate. I don't think that's the sole driver however, though it would be fascinating if makeup + better selfies are driving things that much.

To be very specific, I think that - ON THAT DATA SAMPLE - which is based on the photos people uploaded to a dating website, men would find -most- women less attractive. The question is how much less.

The women rated most men something like a 2 out of 5 on looks. Men rated most women in the middle, with sort of a bell distribution around that point. Would men go as far as rating most women 'not very attractive' without makeup? I'd be surprised, but maybe.

• do you know if there's ever been a study that examines how much of an effect cosmetics play when it comes to female attractiveness?

• The standard of beauty would be set in a different place but everything else would be the same. Your hypothesis would require a fundamental shift in women's behavior. Men don't drive the desire for women to use cosmetics.

• Makeup is gross when you have a lot on. Simple eye liner, light maschera and light toner is perfect. If you cake that shit on like most girls do not only is it obvious you have all this makeup on but you look weird because its so unnatural looking.

All in all no makeup is better than some makeup.

• @Kernesethorpe
    what do you think about this?

• @ kheserthorpe

• @kheserthorpe

• This study (nicolas.gueguen.free.fr/Articles/JCS2011.pdf ) is really interesting, but only involves one woman (but plenty of assessments). Roughly speaking professionally applied makeup boosted her rated attractiveness on a 1-9 scale by about 1 point. She's one woman, and that's pro makeup. Still, that might suggest a half point slide on the okcupid data if we extrapolated.

A study on "The Role of Cosmetics in Impression Formation" used photos and apparently showed boosted attractiveness and femininity for heavy or moderate makeup over none, with I think heavy showing the biggest boost (though no makeup was judged most 'moral'!). I can't find how bit the boost is though because i haven't found the full text free.

• probably, you'd be lucky to get a girl you are going to marry in your teens and 20's

• not that women older than that can't look good. But I also wonder if wearing makeup is the culprit for women, when their looks start to fade, and their skin stops looking good. something has to happen because of all that makeup they put on for their whole life

• I actually prefer girls without makeup, true beauty needs no makeup

• Initially men wound find women way less attractive but then they'd get used to it

• I'm not a fan of makeup.