Online dating: When should you move contact from online to another medium?

Which is best? Phone? Any other options?

Most Helpful Guy

• It all depends on your comfort. I usually go from the internet, to texting with actual phone numbers.

My mentality is "if she acts crazy or the attraction / intrigue is lost, I could always block her". This is very easy to do with smartphones (which most people have)

But girls are so paranoid and have serious "stranger danger syndrome" that they would rather resort to kik or some other messaging service.

• I was thinking the same. Wouldn't just text my number to every guy just the ones that seem worthwhile.

• Yup exactly... I know how predatory some guys can be in this world, so I'm understanding of female caution the best that I can be.

What Guys Said 4

• when you are completely sure they aren't going to hurt you... meet in a public place. Make sure one of your friends know where you are. The phone can come later, if they need to contact you they can do it online still.

• I think it's meeting in person. You don't want someone you don't completely trust to have your phone number.

• I usually did it when I got a good feel for the person. Did a couple weeks of communication first. My girlfriend didn't give me her number until after our first date.

• Meeting anyone outside of a physical face-to-face interaction is initially weird.

I recognized the girl in my own church from an online dating website and when I approached her about it, it was super awkward.

What Girls Said 2

• Personally, I don't like doing the whole chatting online and or on the phone for weeks/months before meeting in person thing.. I'd rather have an initial conversation back and forth online and if we have some things in common, then meet in a public place for a drink to see if there is chemistry.

But that's because I don't want to waste my time getting to know someone online/over the phone only to finally meet them and find out there's no chemistry, or they don't even look like the person in their profile. I don't want to develop feelings for someone who may not even be the real deal.

• I'm more with you rather than with any of the guy's comments, I've waited for people long enough only to be disappointed. I'd rather just not waste any time.

• I believe this, too. Dragging it out makes me lose interest quickly.

• Snapchat!!
    We went from here to there lol