Is this legal?

OK I've been talking to a 15 year old girl and might possibly be going out with her I'm 18 though in NJ is this legal for us to date but not have sex?

What Girls Said 1

• I don't believe the state of NJ has specific statutes on an adult dating a minor. Where the state DOES define the law is in terms of anything sexual. If an adult has intercourse with a minor, even if it's consensual, it's still statutory rape. The person can face criminal charges and jail time.

• Yeah I knew that haha I'm studying criminal justice and I'm just trying to find out if there's a law for dating

• Yes, I did study some law in college. I don't believe there is a law on dating. The laws seem to be more specific to certain "acts" that will be endangering, where the minor is not mature/old enough to make an adult decision, abandonment, etc. I would venture to say that it shouldn't be a problem.

What Guys Said 1

• in most cases there is a age of consent law, which is somehow different than the age 18 law. In tennessee for instance, if a girl is 16+ then she can date/sleep with someone up to 4 years older than her. I know alabama has a similar law only it is 14+. So make sure you check that too.