Are first impressions everything?

How important are first impressions to you?

Thanks for all the opinions everyone ^-^

Most Helpful Girl

• First impressions aren't the most important thing to me. First impressions are weak. They suck. They're a hard thing to judge. Sometimes you're going to be nervous as fuck so you'll be short and seem rude or you'll ramble and seem annoying but that's not you it's just that you're so freaking nervous and the saying 'first impressions imprint'. So it scares you even more.. If you want to give a good first impression, be yourself. Even if you're nervous. Because you might give the idea that they either can't stand you cause you talk too much or too little and if you're short they could find you rude. So be your true self and then they can decide. If it's a yes, awesome job! If a no, then you weren't what they were looking for. Also, a lot of people don't like people who lack confidence. Trust me, I know you can't turn confidence on and off like a switch but work on it. Have faith and be positive. :) hope it helps. First impressions aren't so important to me but they are to a lot of other people.

What Girls Said 33

• Depends. I usually give leeway for first impressions personality-wise, because both parties are going to be pretty stressed about meeting with a new person. I'd be more turned off if they didn't seem to care how they presented themselves - or if they care too much.
    Like when a guy drenches himself in Axe. I remember getting sick and having to end a date once for exactly that reason. There comes a point when you can care a bit TOO much, haha.

Just be a decent human being and go from there! If it doesn't work out, then so be it, but I won't walk into a place, see said person, dislike something about them on sight, and walk out. Give everything a fair shot. I hope to be given the same in return.

• no way! it all depends upon the person! yeah, sometimes you expect one thing when you meet someone but then your opinion changes! I'm currently interested in a guy who I thought was a shallow partying college boy and now I've found that we are so alike and he's so amazing and in time we might even be a couple and possibly be in love! so ya know, first impressions can help sometimes, but they can also hurt! I say try to keep judgment and expectations out of every single relationship and always just try to build up a friendship or acquaintanceship until you can come up with a more accurate perception of who the person is and what they're all about! best of luck my darling!

• Extremely important. I can tell a lot about a person just by meeting them and chatting a bit.

I always know who's a good and who's a bad person almost immediately.
    (That may have something to do with the fact that bad people almost always feel overly confident in everything they do any all they say, so they reveal themselves so quickly - lucky for me. )

• Anybody can make a good first impression. Doesn't tell you a thing about the person. After all... do you think the wife/husband who married the "killer, rapist etc" seen that in the person when they met them? Anybody can be anything they want for a time but the old saying "time will tell" still rings true after all these years.

• Whenever I first meet someone and I do a double take like because of their first impression or first time seeing them and they somehow later become more important to me later when I look back I realize that this happened later on. I realize that the way I looked at them a second longer, or something like that, was a bit different than how it happened with other people. I -->always<-- realize that this happened later... and if they become a significant entity to me it definitely happened. I don't know if first impressions are everything or even what sense you mean this in exactly but I do know that there was always something extra in my first meeting with them, or seeing them, or hearing their name, in person or not, for every significant friend or close relationship that I've ever had.

• A bad first impression is really hard to recover from. It can be done, but it is really hard.

• the amount of natural chemistry doesn't disappear because of a poor first impression. appearance plays a lg. part in attraction, and always matters in the present (meaning: no one cares what you used to look like or what you could look like). and, poor first impressions can be recovered from. people do not remember what you say or what you do, but how you make them feel! you can improve that feeling!

• Not really, i believe in getting to know someone more ^.^ i been in that position of meeting someone & thinking they're one way & later on finding out they're not what you thought. Sometimes it takes a while to get to know someone & I think the thrill of the mystery behind someone's real personality is exciting. Never go for first impressions to judge someone. First impressions are just a glimpse of your personality, not the full story. :)

• First impressions are very important, but they aren't everything. For me, if i get a bad impression of someone at first i will still try to get to know them. If over time they prove to still make a bad impression on me, its pretty much game over then.

• Depends on when you met that person. If you met as babies, no. If you met when you were in kindergarten, a little. If you met in primary, a little bit more. As you grow up it matters more and more. Now in your teens, PULL ALL STOPS YOU HAVE TO LOOK GOOD!!!

• It matters a lot to me. I get turned off quite fast. I am very, very careful when choosing guys.. and those who seem to be flirty or talk to much I immediately stay away from.

• so you don't like fun, extroverted, happy, outgoing guys. lol alrighty then..

good luck!

• honestly, for me they dont really matter all that much. It's probably because I know people's first impression on me is that im a bitch mean or a hoe, but it's because off the way in talk and act. I'm outgoing And i Say what's on my mind (even if its sexual) All my friends once thought I was kind of a bitch. I guess they do matter to some people, but those people are missing out. You can't judge a book by its cover, right?

• It's not everything, but I truly believe that it's a big part.
    Cause ask yourself this question, what makes you want to approche someone that you have been looking at for a while? Think about that, and when you find the answer know thag it would be the first impression.
    If you can't find the answer, think about what made you want to become friends with the (I am sure) amazing friends you have now? Or your girlfriend or boyfriend.

- I hope I helped :*

• I can tell scum... i can tell it very quickly.. I even better with women.. women are terrible at hiding dirty character. First impressions usually make the person. I have tested this theory multiple times and it has been proven to be true.

• It's easy to make a bad first impression. It's definitely more difficult to remedy that first impression... but it's possible.

• First impressions are often misleading so I don't trust them.

• they're why I'm still single

• Very important but I give people many chances

• Depends on the place where you meet the person. If it is in a bar or hanging-out with friends it doesn't matter. If its at work.. you should make a fresh appereance.

• Id say not really but then yes because its what make the person want to approach you but if that first impression doesn't go well dont worry there will be plenty more chances to give another impression and that won't affect anything in any way

• Well I'm a very perceiving person, so first impressions are always good to me, because I can tell pretty quickly I'd I wanna hang out with them. These can be tchanged though- with time

• In my opinion no because what I think of people is entire different from what I originally thought of them

• yes try and make a good one

• First impression will only affect roughly 15-20% of my feeling to someone.

• I would say it is, which is why I'm never going to IHOP again.

• yes it is very important

• Yes it is. You dont want to embaress a girl or make it look like your a asshole.

• They're important but they're not everything. They can determine whether they get your time or not.

• First impression do mean something, but not much. First impressions for me are what everyone see's of a guy, but you really have to get to know them to get past the impressions.

• No. I used to think someone I had met was one way, but then after I get to know the person, I realized I shouldn't judge someone so much based on their looks. If the person isn't the friendliest person or very optimistic or talkative, I just think to myself, maybe they had a bad day or something. Also some people are more difficult to talk to like if they're shy.

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 21

• First impressions aren't everything, but I believe they're important. First encounters set the stage for either having a second encounter or avoiding the person from there on out. I do believe in second chances though, and sometimes a first impression isn't enough to build an opinion on. My advice would be to make as good a first impression as possible, but don't let it be the be all end all in what could be an awesome relationship of some kind. They could turn out to be your closest friend or maybe your partner for life. Life is crazy like that.

• Would this first impression be after you both met and honestly found you were attracted to ea other? First things first has to begin with the fatal attraction or not. If no attraction towards each other and feelings are mutual then you would have to work on the first impressions. They are deal breakers for some. Take your time. Be polite , don't put others down or talk negative towards any otherss in the room or place you are. Concentration must be all about the other. Make them feel at ease and special. Keep it simple. A first impression are thoughts that are never forgotten.
    Don't just say , baby you have great boobs and a hot little azz. Sure most will blush and say thanks but at the same time. Won't forget those words. Makes it harded to get your first stinky finger if she was offended by any thing naughty off the get go.
    If it's a girl you want as a steady gf , be a good boy. Think b4 you speak and save the naughty stuff for another time. A time you both are in the mood , had a cpl drinks to break the ice then have at it ! Treat her like the hot little thing you have allways beat off thinking if only you could have her squat on your face and grind. Know what I'm saying?

• While they may not mean everything , I tend to keep in mind you only make one first impression and what ever impression is made can not be in made. So

• They aren't everything but they matter a lot. It takes a while for a person to recover from making a bad first impression.

• You know, first impressions reflects on everything from the start. I had planned a meeting with somebody to discuss about renting a property. We agreed, that we would meet at this place at this time.

I came to the destination and found it to be empty. Then I called the person, who I was supposed to meet. She told me she can't come because she went to work (despite we totally agreed to meet up!). She also told me she would call me back later. She never called me back.

Screw that bitch to hell. I moved on to my search...

If first impressions fail initially (without valid excuses), it will fail even harder when involved. That's a good and big red flag, which cannot be overseen! This is a sign of, that it's better to move on!

• Not everything... I think the initial attraction ie., physical features are what draws us in, but its the quality of the person that makes us stay!

The person's qualities are what we determine over time, these can't be determined in first impressions!

• Nah I dont care about first impressions too much I give people the chance to grow on me if they wanna. As for impressing other people I gave up on doing that ages ago I simpy act nice down to earth and aproachable when I can so I dont fully scare them away from my crazy. : )

Unless its a very formal situation then I have to be normal I gues for a little while.

• They are very important in every situation.

However, even if you make a bad first impression to someone. That doesn't mean your reputation and their perception of you isn't salvageable. I've had people who I thought I wouldn't ever like or get along with become some of my closest friends.

• depends how many times you have the chance to see somebody, sometimes you can 'grow' to like someone and other times I think you can like somebody just by a few things because you know that you only have a small chance to see the person

• Their important but I understand that people get nervous they screw up and sometimes you just have to be patient and get to know someone personally before you can really them the real them.

• I used to think they weren't of importance, I was wrong.
    It means a lot, in the beginning, but not so much as you progress.

First impressions are like, If you are judging someone, It'll be like " Should I give up on you now? "

& If you are being judged, It's more like " I HAVE TO TRY !
    ( WON'T GUARANTEE SUCCESS BUT I SHALL TRY !) ".

• For me they're not all that important, maybe because I usually have a bad first impression people myself :P

• I believe in a girls eyes they are. But don't quote me on that. And in a bosses eyes they are to.

• Not everything, but it will affect how I see them until I get to know them better. Sometimes I'll be right, sometimes I'll be wrong and I know that, but I think a first impression will affect how I see a person until I spend time with them

• Yes they are.

If you're ugly, you're at a disadvantage attracting someone you like.

If you're good looking, congragulations you're at a massive advantage already.

• if they are annoying or rude then it'll be hard to fix my impression. but I would give them one more chance before I want nothing to do with them ever

• Yeah its very important since we don't know each other so the first impression is what makes me want to know more about you or not.

• No. not at all.

• Of course it's everything. You should always take care of yourself dude

• I have a very extreme example: one of my ex-girlfriends thought I was a gay at the first time she saw me, but then she found she was wrong and felt I am quite manly.

• Not really... I've had some people just kinda grow on me