I don't get the female obsession with height?

I really don't understand it when I think about it logically. I mean, I've heard chicks say that they feel "small and dainty" next to guys who are taller than them or tall, but why would you want to feel small and dainty? Wouldn't you want to feel huge, hulking, and tough? If I ever once in my life felt small and dainty, I'd go home, slit my wrists, and proceed to cry for days. I don't get it.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 17

• neither do i.
    honest, lol. as iv said a few times, if he's taller than 5'3" I'm fine.

• I don't get the height obsession period. If I like you then your height is not going to be a deal breaker. Ideally would I like a guy to at least be my height? Sure. But if he just so happens to be shorter then that's cool too. A guy doesn't need to be 7'3.

• I think you're the one obsessed with height.

• Yes, that's the Aspergers speaking, but women are also obsessed with height.

• ... Let me guess you aren't tall?

At any rate there is a difference. You are a guy they are females. So what you want in a SO would be different.

Females like to feel like girls and like to feel protected which is what they get from men who are physically bigger then them. While a guy wants to feel like a man and will want to be with a female that makes him feel like a man.

I hope that explains it.

• But bigger = weight! not height. Why do people keep getting that confused?

• @asker

Was a nice face not in the survey? Height women can get over but if your face looks like a donkey's ass then it's going to be way harder for you (I am not saying yours does I am just saying in general). After all a face is what you look at all the time.

• Actually, my face is apparently pretty good. I did some tests with some researchers at my university, and they said that my face has almost perfect symmetry, proportions, with masculine characteristics that are usually found pretty attractive (this apparently has to do with me having a lot of prenatal testosterone). So, I'm at least good there haha

• Join the club, I don't get it either. My boyfriend is literally an inch taller than me, and that's just fine- i'm 5'5, he's 5'6. It works for the both of us. And with the whole protection thing I see the girls talking about, he could easily protect me.

• Thank god I'm not the only one lol

• I'm pretty sure that sometimes it's the whole physical traits being more important than personality mindset that some of these girls have. Then there's the second half of the girls who are thinking that a guy roughly the same size or even smaller than them couldn't dominate them, which isn't always true. But to hell if i know for sure man.

• I think physical traits are important, but, like you said, there's this weird assumption that a guy the same size as a girl can't protect her. I don't understand why people think that. I mean, I watched a video of a dwarf squatting over 600 lbs bad bench pressing 400 lbs. There is a 5'3 guy named Richard Hawthorne who deadlifted 700 lbs at 130 lbs bodyweight.

• I like feeling his chin resting on my head when he comes up behind me and wraps his arms around me. I like feeling enveloped in him when we hug. I like standing on tiptoe to kiss him. I like the thrill of being tossed way up high when he throws me over his shoulder when we're playing around. I like feeling safe beside him. I just really really like tall guys.

And of course you don't like the idea of feeling "small and dainty". You're a guy. You have a primal instinct to feel strong and powerful. Many women do not have that instinct.

• What can short guys do, then? If you say "find a shorter girl", I'm going to stab someone.

• No, you are wrong. Anyone can reach a healthy, athletic weight. Why do you think there were not fat people in concentration camps? Or in any mass famine?

• It all has to do with calories in, calories out. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. If you eat more than that, you gain weight. There's a reason there were no "big" women in the American countryside of the early 19th and 20th centuries.

• Honestly, I don't get it either. I love tall men, but don't necessarily need to feel "protected" or something. I think it's just something evolutionary like. Just like why do men love boobs? They're just balls with fat. Both are probably explainable with evolution, but I don't know it for sure.

• I don't know why evolution would prefer taller men. Big boobs are a sign of fertility, but not as much as the waist-to-hip-ratio, which is why most men care about butts a lot more than breasts.

• I personally think it is just a societal thing. Women don't seem to care about height overseas.

• I don't think so. If it was more cool to like small men I think I would still prefer tall men.

• I would feel like an unattractive giant if i had a boyfriend thats shorter then i am. Not saying its rational not saying it males sense but iys just how i feep.
    Also 5'7 isn't that short just saying xD

• It makes me feel safe, comfortable and feminine.

• Why the fuck would you want to feel feminine? And safe? Are you srs? Like, the strongest dudes in history have been shorter than 5'9.

• Our insecurities are our own problems, and shouldn't effect how we see others. If she's with you, then her preference (if she even has one) is irrelevant.

• They are not at all irrelevant. Short men experience cuckoldry at a vastly higher rate than taller men, so even If I did get an attractive woman to commit, the chances of her cheating or secretly lusting after other men who are not me are high.

• I don't want him to be tall, but I would PREFER it if he would be just taller then me or the same height. I am 5'8 by the way.

anyway, I would also date a shorter guy If I would be in love with him. Height doesn't matter as much to me.

• I don't get it either. If a guy is tall, okay cool. If he's short, then alright. I really don't care about height and the fact that a lot of girls refuse to date anyone under 6' is just shallow

• When I see a guy who is shorter than I I feel like he can't "protect" me. Not to sound harsh or dumb. I just am not physically attracted to him but I wouldn't say it's an obsession. I also wouldn't want to date someone who is 6'7".

• Why do you feel he can't protect you? Some of the strongest men in history have been under 5'9.

• If you want protection, get a gun.

• A midget with a gun > 20 tall men without a gun

• Lmao "I'd go home, slit my wrist, and proceed to cry for days!" Ahhh shit!😂😂👏✋

• i love being small and dainty! well its hard not to when you are 4'11. I like guys who are larger than me because its kinda dominate, and pretty hot

• Why would you want to be small and dainty? Don't you want to feel big and powerful?

• I just want to hug you to death after that last comment! It was so adorable! :)

• awwww !!!

• No offense, but after reading your comments I dont know if your trolling or not...

• Neither do I, really. It is late at night, and I'm confused myself. I'm just going to get height increasing surgery to be 6'0 because I'm tired of being 5'7.

• Someone already answered that and its not discrimination. I'm sure you have a préférence like that.
      -you like blondes
      -you like slim girls
      -you like girls with a big chest etc...

• -guys don't care about hair color. Really, we don't; we care if a girl is hot.
      -skinny = healthy, fertile, etc. the same cannot be said for height
      -the vast majority of men don't care about breast size if the girl is hot.

• Well don't you guys like small >100lbs girls? Ok then.

• It's just a personal prefrence, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with short guys. Maybe it's it's instinctual for the physically weaker sex to desire a protector. I don't think you need to understand it, you just need to respect that's how some women feel.

• No, I don't respect that. It is pretty stupid. If she wanted a protector, then she would give less than a shit about height. It is like saying I need to buy a Lamborghini to drive to work when a ford focus could get the job done.

• I wrote it might be INSTINCTUAL. Men are physical designed to be stronger physically than women. The men I choose to date are stronger than myself physically. Could be nurturing or a instinctual ( look up that word ). Your disregard to respect others choices is very immature. You're getting all pissed off because you either don't like my answer or you have short man complex and low self esteem. The end.

• Men are designed to be physically stronger than women, yes, but height and physical strength are pretty unrelated. Lean body mass and frame size are far more important determinants of physical strength. It is not instinctual, and natural selection had no reason to select height, a bad indicator of physical strength, as a preferred genetic trait by women.

What Guys Said 9

• It is the result of cultural indoctrination. People are taught from early ages that males are bigger and stronger, so that's what they grow to expect. Short women tend to conjure up a bunch of weird fetishes involving "being held up" and whatever, which is why the 5'2"- crowd tends to want an even taller guy. The 5'5" crowd tends to go for the 5'7" crowd, unless they're height-queens who claim "they can't wear high heels like this" because obviously everyone is going to laugh at them or something.

Anyways, females often learn to fetishize being "smaller". That's all there is to it.

• It's really simple, but you seem to be the one hung up on it.

Have you not noticed in "almost" every species of animals the males are bigger. The idea of femininity is that the girl is smaller in comparison. No bigger logic at play.

• Yes, bigger, but not necessarily taller. Size does correlate with height, but not perfectly.

• Ohhh i like girls who want to feel huge!!!

• Women are opportunists. Height money security all that

• its just personal preference for most of them... which is why guys shouldn't feel ashamed at all to have as high a standard as they want.

• Taller men are more masculine. Sorry to break it to everyone

• I feel small and dainty all the time.

• well they dont want to be with some one that can get thrown out a window, n they probably think if ur taller ur dicks bigger.. im 6ft.. n my dicks 7inches 6 fattyy

• How tall are you?

• 5'6.5"-5'7 (169-170 cm).

• What the fuck.. I am 167cm but Asian

• Growth was stunted due to far too much testosterone during puberty. I was supposed to be 6'0+ due to my parents' heights.