Atheists: Would you date a Christian?

This question was asked the other way around before and I thought I would ask vice versa. So atheists, would you date a Christian?

• Yes
  • No
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been in a relationship with a Christian and someone who was not religious but believed in a higher power of some kind. Most of the time it isn't really a problem. BUT I'd imagine it would become a major problem if the couple decides to have kids someday. That's the MAJOR roadblock in that type of relationship. I really liked how I was raised in that regard. My parents come from two different denominations but aren't religious so they decided to raise their kids as neutral to such things and it was up to us to decide what we wanted to believe in. Kids are very impressionable and the beliefs they're taught are usually the ones they stick with throughout their lives so I wouldn't want me or my future wife to push them into one aisle or the other. I'd want them to be more flexible and unbiased towards these things. I'd be open to teaching them about the Bible and whatnot only if we could teach them about many other belief systems as well. I'm a firm believer in being exposed to as many ways of thinking as possible before making a decision or if people don't want to make a decision or feel like there isn't a right or wrong about such things that's fine too. I would just want my kids to have the free will to go about that as they choose. If they ever came to me with questions about different belief systems I'd do my research and try to give as unbiased of an answer as possible.

I kind of don't think it's a parent's place to decide these things for their kids. I know not everyone feels this way and that's fine. I'm a firm believer in letting a kid choose his or her own likes and dislikes and passions that they want to chase in life. I'd assist and guide them the best I can along their journey.

If my hypothetical Christian girlfriend had no problem with that neutral middle ground instead of competing for belief supremacy then we're cool but I'm not sure how common that is. It could be quite a minefield to navigate if one chooses to push them to either side.

What Girls Said 17

• Maybe. Depends on how Christian really. For instance, I have some friends who still identify as Christian but still do a lot of questioning of beliefs and aren't at all strongly religious. Stuff like that is fine with me. Basically, it needs to be possible for me to mock parts of the bible and certain religious beliefs without offending them, and they need to not believe in any of the fairly conservative Christian values. Also, no thanking God/Jesus all the time whenever good things happen. And of course they have to be fine with me being non-religious. Discussions about religion are fine, but not actively trying to convert me.

• I could date a guy who was born into a christian family and just sorta went with it, but whose faith is not an important part of his life, but I could not date a practicing christian... he would not be compatible with my lifestyle and my beliefs about right and wrong and the world we live in.

• It depends how open-minded he is and extreme. I wouldn't like to join him in the church every Sunday.

• Would you every so often if he asked? Say once every six months or so, not often?

• @TheLoveNotHater I'm not sure about that either. I personally really hate the church. I always had to go with my grandma when I was younger. Maybe I'll join him once and see how it goes.

• I don't think I could. I like that my boyfriend are both atheist. I always feel too cautious with my religious friends because I don't want to say something that could hurt them by accident. I don't think I'd want to feel cautious around a boyfriend.

• Probably not, but never say never.

• I don't care. Just don't try to convert me. Both my exes were religious and we got along fine. We did disagree, but we debated respectfully.

• Yes, I don't mind. As long as he's not a religious fanatic and there is mutual respect, it should be ok.

• Absolutely not. It's one of my biggest deal breakers. I don't tolerate religion on any scale. If he's not agnostic or atheist, then I'm out. A persons spiritual beliefs often heavily effect their morals and outlook on life. If a relationship is going to succeed, both partners should be on the same page about those things.

• No, I wouldn't be able to.

• No. I could date a buddhist, agnostic, deist or atheist guy, but I wouldn't want t date someone who believes in a specific god with specific rules.

• Most likely not.

• Can you link the other question?

• I don't mind but if they're extreme aboutit then no

• Sure. As long as they aren't the kind that give me shit for every damn thing that's in the bible.

• It depends how extrem they are.

• I've tried, and even though it seems like a minor difference, it ends up weighing on both parties.
    For me, I thought he was stupid/brainwashed for believing in all that fairy tale crap.
    For him, he thought I was stupid for NOT believing in it.
    And the worst thing is, trying to use logic with Christians is like talking to a brick wall. An atheist dating a christian is just not a good partnership, nor is it something that can be ignored easily by either party.

• There's a problem in how you say it. You leave no room for compromise, and I can tell neither did he. Both of you tried to force your own views on each other and it fell apart. As long as you had left that area alone, there would be little problem. For him, your logic is as stupid as his is to you.

• I see what you're saying. In some cases, I'm sure the issues are pushed. In my case, the issues weren't pushed nor did any of us intentionally bring the topics up.
      ---It just... happens :/
      And it happens in everyday life scenarios. I found that avoiding the conflicts stemming from a difference in beliefs-- is MUCH easier said than done.
      It might not be a problem short term. But long term it can be. And nothing against religious people, I just find that eventually religious people eventually begin to long for a theological connection with their significant other. And when the other person rejects it, and rejects their God, it presents a bit of a conflict.
      But hey, go ahead and give it a try. You might be the exception.

• I said "eventually" a lot... lol

• I never will. If he is religious, it is a deal breaker.

What Guys Said 21

• I would date anyone from any religion but I wouldn't let them force that religion on any potential children nor would I force atheism on any potential children. I would teach them about all of the major religions as they got older and let them believe what they wanted.

• no because i would betray my ideals TWICE that way

- I don't want to date, i wanna remain single
    - Even if i wanted, then i'd not date a christian since i'm an atheist.

Evn if the girl was ideal looks-wise, and had great personality as well, then i would HAVE TO reject her because she's a christian!!

my ideals come first!

www.smiley-lol.com/.../napoleon1.gif

• I dated a fundamentalist Christian woman once a little over 2 years ago. It was a horrible mistake. I almost had to take out a restraining order against her. When I told her I was an atheist (I thought she knew) she flipped out and started throwing things at me, ordering me to leave her home while at the same time blocking my exit. Then when I was finally able to escape, she accused me of "walking out in the middle of our discussion." Her idea of a "discussion" was her screaming at me that I was going to hell, my atheism is why my wife died, I was incapable of loving anyone, basically any horrible thing that came to mind.

• I'm a non-fundamentalist Christian and I wouldn't date a fundamentalist Christian. They're fucking crazy. I've literally been called out in the middle of a service I attended (for a family member) AND told I would burn in Hell because my religion wasn't the "true" one.

Basically, being a Catholic in the bible gets leads to you catching as much flak as if you were an atheist.

• *bible belt not gets.

• Dude we should all unite against fundamentalism. They suck for moderate Christians and atheists haha

• This is insane! lol sorry you had to hear that crap.

• Wow... what were the results in the vice versa version? I bet most Christians wouldn't care if they're atheist. Seriously something is wrong with you people.

• I beg to differ. As a born and raised Bible belt resident, former Southern Baptist, and former president of my local atheist group, I can assure you that Christians (more specifically evangelical fundamentalists) are far more distrusting of atheists than of any other group. So in my area, your faith has a huge impact on how many people view you, no matter how good a person you may be.

• All I can go off of are the tons of people I've met who were Christian and the few I've talked about this with. I mean I don't know why everyone on the internet chat sites think Christians are such terrible people but in real life everyone doesn't really give a shit. Fuck you people.

• Only older Christians have much an issue. For me, I support not forcing ideas on each other. I dated a few athiest girls and we were fine in not forcing each others beliefs on the other. Sure we slipped up a few times but nothing big. The problem was that her moral base was looser than mine, and she wanted to do things I wasn't a big fan of. Over time we just kind of got distant because of it and decided to break up. I wanted to wait till we got married to have sex, she didn't. She decided to find someone else.

• Well, I'm Agnostic and I don't worry about religious beliefs. They don't HAVE to be a point of division if both people are caring and open-minded.

• Yes I would. My mother is Christian and my father is Atheist. All we need is just a little bit of understanding (This is not just for religion).

• As a Christian, I've dated a few atheists. It's not much a problem with religion as it is a moral base. The athiests I've dated are more likely to cheat, lie, or use me than those who follow a religion. This is just personal experience though.

• funny. my friend dated a christian and started going to church every Sunday with him. in the end, she found out he cheated on her with at least one woman and sexted with others and lied. his brothers, also christians, lied for him and he did as well for them to cover up whenever they cheated on their spouses. maybe I should also lump all christians to the same morals they had.

• Yes, unless they're super religious, or they try to convert me into one of them.

• I am not atheist I am agnostic, but yes I would actually I'd only date Catholics I love Catholics especially when they wear those green kilts and white uniforms giggity.

• Absolutely not. Why would I? I'm not very fond of Christians in general either.

• About 1 in 3 people you know/meet are Christian so... fuck off.

• @DarkHumorRUs
      Personally, I do not interact with Christians and I refuse to do so. You must be butthurt that I would not date a Christian, is that why you are so angry?
      Christian scum.

• I'll agree that Dark is being a twat, but you're also offending Christians who aren't extremist bastards. Like me. -.-

• Yes of course. So long as she doesn't smother me with his religion.

• Depends. Most Christians reckon they're more "moral" than non-Christians, but I doubt that strongly.

• I'm a Christian but I don't like to base everything in my life off religion and I'd want a spouse that feels the same.

• I am non religious , but I dont like the word atheist. Anyway I am tolerant of religious people so long as they keep it to themselves. Im sure it probably wouldn't work out though.

• Depends on how extreme they are and how much I like them.

• As long as she's not really religious.

• Depends on the girl really, but I would much rather prefer it if she was Atheist.

• I an an atheist, and yes I would. There are so many different types of Christians that the word Christian is nearly meaningless. It just depends on the type of Christian that woman is. Some Christians accept gays, some don't. Some claim all non Christians will go to hell, some don't. The word "Christian" just doesn't have the all encompassing meaning so many people seem to think it has.

• No. Sick of religious filth. Sick of violence, sick of oppression, sick of descrimination, sick of hypocrisy. Religion is evil and I'm not going to waste time dating someone who ultimately supports a backward and violent view of the world.

• nope
    i like intelligent people

• @DarkHumorRUs
      there ya go, not anon now ^_^
      that make you feel better little fella?

im sorry, i just won't date you... i know that's why those panties are all twisted up
      if you believe in a book of lies and a magic man in the sky, you can be educated... but sumb as a spoon in my eyes ^_^

• you called me out, i showed up... you hid away lol
      @DarkHumorRUs
      did you have to Google it? :/
      i'm sorry... i forgot you believe in fairy tales, i'll go slower and simpler for you:
      you... reply... very... poorly... it... would... have... been... funny... to... see... you... rage... again
      easier for ya?
      but i'm sure ya will reply with some nonsense that is vague and holds no worth ^_^
      *grabs popcorn and waits*

• @TheLoverNotHater
      comes onto someones opinion
      says something unrelated
      calls them morons

that pot and kettle analogy is stunning right now <3