Is it shallow not to date somebody who doesn't have ambition/a good job?

does it matter, since standards are subjective?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's shallow, but I also think that your standards should be based on what YOU bring to the table as well.

I have a decent job and career ambitions, so I don't think it is shallow or unfair for me to expect my partner to also have a good career. I have a certain lifestyle that I want to maintain and any partner of mine needs to be able to maintain that same lifestyle. I like to travel and own nice things - which I pay for myself - and I don't want a partner who cannot afford to do those things with me. I also think it's reasonable that I care to have a partner who I am proud to introduce to my family, friends and colleagues. A guy in a low-paying, dead end job does not fit that profile.

What Girls Said 5

• Not having a job vs no ambition is 2 different things. Depends on how long she's been unemployed if it's been over 5 months---hell no! If it's been shorter than that and she's trying then that's a little different. But she has to have ambition, not having that is a death sentence! She'd be blan and boring, not worth it.

• Nope its not shallow at all. There's really no point in dating such a person... Unless if you wanna fix them but that would leave you devastated... So I just don't see the point

• I wouldn't consider you shallow for that

• Not at all.

• It's understandable. You want to date someone who is on your level. You want to have high esteem for her and she for you.

What Guys Said 1

• that is the perfect reason not to date someone lol. who wants to date a bum? im referring mainly to the ambition part, not the job.