Why are you single?

I know it's none of my business, but why are you single? I'm single by choice. I'm so happy and comfortable with my life right now, all I need are friends and family :)

Most Helpful Guy

• no effort in trying right now

• ahah why?

• you're welcome :)

• Bert wants his freedom so he can just ride

What Guys Said 131

• Women with few exception are more trouble then they are worth. So if I meet a cool chick who doesn't ruin my good time then im for it.

• 1) I'm a geeky guy.

2) I'm an entrepreneur, and I work alone most of the time. This cuts down on a lot of chances to meet women - When I DO get out, I'm usually laser focused on the work - I'm not in the mood to hit on anyone.

2b) I'm an artist, and not a lot of women understand or appreciate artists in my area (unless they're famous).

3) I'm more introverted in a lot of ways.

4) I don't have the looks (yet?).

5) The girls I'm into in several aspects also happen to be girls who have those "personal deal breakers" in other ways. It's not being "picky" (maybe it is these days, but if the deal breakers are considered "being picky" then I'm ok with being picky)

6) Most of the women in my area are married, and have been for a long time; if not, they're usually in serious long time relationships.

7) Many of the women I know drop off the face of the planet when they get a new boyfriend. So, it's hard to keep close relationships with the women I know, and next to impossible to meet their friends.

I think that sums up most of it.

• Becaus I'm working on myself. Leaning to love myself before loving someone else

lol jk. Its because I can't get a woman to look at me 'that way'for more than have a second

Actually truth is that I'm lazy to ask out girls right now. My ego is kinda fragile. I have anxiety and anxiety + liking someone is always a roller coaster. I'm got a date on Friday though. you'd laugh if i told you ho i got it

• (1.) The girl I'm talking to is 5 hours away, and we aren't 100% that we're into each other yet.
    (2.) I'm kinda busy with school at the moment.
    (3.) Freshman 15
    (4.) I still need like another 2 years before I actually look more like a man and less like a rat.
    (5.) I'm not very sociable and have only a small group of friends that are women.

• Firstly, I'm focusing on my career so I haven't really attempted to date for over 4 years. I personally feel that having a girlfriend at this point would be more of a distraction than an asset.

Secondly, I have this severe inferiority complex and a morbid fear of rejection, so I can never approach a woman. I'm stuck with the thought that if I even consider asking a woman out, I'll be setting myself up for rejection because I'm just a common man who isn't 'good enough' for most women. So unless women approach me themselves (which is extremely are), I suppose I'll have to remain single forever (which I don't really mind too much).

• That's great! keep it up!

• LOL! first point of course!

• Hehe, thanks! Because the second point is not something I'm proud of. It's just a weakness which I'm unable to overcome, so I have learned to live with it! :P

• The optimistic, professional reason: I've got school and career building to worry about and a relationship would probably be a distraction.
    The I'm mysterious and cool reason: I don't meet many girls that I find interesting, I'm not a big fan of vapid people or shallow conversations.
    The actual reason: I'm an introvert and anti social; I have a lot of difficulties talking to new people, let alone trying to interpret social cues and try to figure out what they're saying with body language. I am utterly incapable of determining whether a girl's interested in me or not until she says so and it goes without saying that I have difficulties interpreting my emotions and expressing them. Plus, I'm not great at maintaining relationships; I'm absent minded and I forget about people and things all the time. The world's probably a better place as long as I'm alone.

• Because I don't ask anyone out, and right now there is no reason to. It would be nice but just maintaining my friendships is a challenge right now. Forget a girlfriend with needs to fulfill and the ability to rip my heart to shreds. That's dangerous business.

• I got out of a relationship a while ago, it was a long one (a few years) but it didn't work out. Its sad when that happens but I did learn something from the experience. Right not I am single still because that is my choice at the current time, just focusing on me an getting my life together the way I want it. In time I will search for someone again, just not until I feel ready too.

• I'm single because I'm a idiot and keep fucking myself over.

I'll get girls attention a lot and I don't have problems socially talking to them or anything like that, but even if I really like them, whenever something is starting or turning into something more I just completely pussy out and pull out from that entire deal. I don't know why but it happens every time and I don't know how to stop myself from getting "scared " and abandoning it

• -I am a loser
    -I am not trying
    -I didn't find one worthy
    -I don't give a carrot
    -I am happy the way I am.

• What the heck? Quit losering, that's not a reason^^ Okay maybe the others do count but score out the first one (and yeah losering is a word. It's mine)

• Maybe even that^^ Don't like fears, they seriously mess with your life

• @Minamay - Yeah but you should try because you already have 'no', why not to take a chance to make it a 'yes'?

• I learned that girls don't like me for me. They have such high standards that I have to meet by having to have to be interesting all the time. I had plenty of girls that liked me but I didn't like them for the reason I do not know.

I guess it's because I have to be in the so called "friend-zone" before I actually start liking someone and by then every girl will put you in the friend-zone. Then again I only ever liked 3 girls in my life. Each time it took me about 5-7 months when I realized that I liked her. I'm 28 and I've been single my whole life.

I have a high sense of loyalty and I had a plenty of reason why I like a girl. The first one was one of those "just because" deal so I don't know if I should really count that. But the second and third girl I liked is because they both delivered to me like I'm a person with interests, enjoyment, and I don't know what they did compared to other girls who also do the same thing to me which is to make me feel valuable.

I refuse to have sex with someone I do not care about no matter how visually attractive they may be. Because I said that and I have a feeling that there will be girls who will be upvoting my opinion because of what I just wrote. I am very conflicted on what they also say because when I hear people say that if I like someone and if I want that person to like me back the same way "I have to be myself" which I learned is the most BS thing you can tell someone and I'm sure many guys would agree (at least initially).

This whole first world society of standards where the guy has to do EVERYTHING and continue with it their entire life while the girl just sits there looking pretty/beautiful and easily just say ok you did all this for me, but I don't care for you anymore even though the guy that did that for reason that wasn't primarily for sexual reason but more of wanting you because that girl probably did or say something that attracted him which is what even sex can not offer.

• I can tell you that not all girls are like that, but then again I don't know what kind of girls you like. There are girls who actually care about the guy and the things he does for her.

• And I'm sure telling him to "move on" is the most ridiculous thing in the world cause in that 5 years, I'm damn sure he tried doing that multiple times by seeing other girls for their value but didn't seem to click with him the same way she did for him.
      You have no idea how much power you girls have when screwing with emotions.

I'm sure some girls would probably say after reading this, "Oh I would want something loyal like that" or whatever and I will go "BULL FU***** $#!+" no matter how Timid or confident you are or how needy or independent you are, that isn't something you really want. That is what you all think you want. I say that because later on they'll think "that isn't exciting enough"

• I can see why, JSharp.

Believe it or not, you're putting up the high standards too (and what's with all this negative past experience baggage?)... that is very off-putting including the fact you wrote more than a book here about that even when the Asker was being kind enough to be understanding of you.

That in itself says a lot about you and her.

• Because of my choice. That's a lie.

I'm single because I don't know how to attract women, and have self-esteem issues.

• Exactly my point. Thank goodness, I'm not alone in this world. Sadly, that doesn't help

• Doesn't hurt to try :) And there's a try for every tomorrow ^-^

• True :) I like what you've just said ^^

• I'm Single cause i had 2 bad relationships i guess i got trust issues

• I've been trying to wait for the right woman, one who accepts or preferably shares my worldview and goals in life. That's kind of tough to do though, since I plan on working in developing countries without a lot of modern conveniences and for comparatively little pay. (I am a corn geneticist who wants to breed better varieties for subsistence growers in poor countries. Not exactly a glamorous life.)

Also, most of the women who have shown interest in me in the past have been selfish and only wanted me for novelty or for sex. Yes, I am a "manly man", and, yes, I do have a high libido, but I also have this thing called a heart, and I don't like to have it ripped out and stomped on.

Plus, I am a traditional guy who values marriage a lot, and I haven't found anyone who is wife material. Aside from leech-marriages, good luck finding a lady who actually wants to marry a man nowadays.

Lastly, I guess, is the fact that I just don't like women from industrialized cultures much. Minus obvious physical differences, they're basically less aggressive, more chatty men. Do not want...

• Wow I have a friend that does the same thing as you, I find it amazing. I have always wanted to join the corps and go to India or Africa and help in any way that I can. So I take my hat off for what you are doing. 😊

• Thank you. :)

• A perfect question.

Earlier in my mid-high-school times I've been single by fate.

Now it's 50% fate and 50% choice, that I am single. I don't have time and money to spend on a GF. In my locals, there are only a bunch of careless randoms in my age range. I value, what I have and even much more, when I never had it before and always wanted it.

I've been in such almighty trouble (generally speaking), that I deny any more. And you know, that women do require some more, some less amount of trouble. I find it not worth it.

I separated myself about the thoughts of getting a GF. That resulted me into the inability of caring any less. But at least I can keep my freedom.

But let's not forget about a positive thing: Any unexpected miracle can happen and make changes.

• you don't need money to have a gf, if she loves you, she'll love you with or without money ahahha and i agree with you on having freedom ahha

• What about buying birthday presents, gifts (valentines, XMAS) and something to spend along some trips? What about the date price in the cafe? I sure love an ice cold cola on a warm trip, or like chewing bubble gum. I also would love to go to billiard and bowling if my *considering I would have one* girlfriend would accompany me (:

But you are also right. A true GF would love ME, not my (empty) wallet ^_^.

• I am singly because I didn't mingle with people much at all and spent most of my days indoors.
    That's changing however.

CHANGE IS COMING!

• I'm single because I'm not fortunate enough. I've still never had a girlfriend. Most young girls these days only want money and someone to spoil them.

It's not my fault.

• Part of it is by choice part of it isn't. There's one girl I dated a few months ago who really liked me but I didn't really like back. I mean she had a good personality but I wasn't physically attracted to her at all. I know looks aren't everything but there has to be some physical attraction.

The other part where it isn't really choice is where I find girls I do like off dating sites end up flaking or disappearing after 2-4 dates. I haven't given up but I'm starting to think dating sites are pointless just because as a guy, you'll take what you can get and most women have their pick of the litter and 9/10 times from those sites they might find someone they like better.

• It's not really by choice, I am by nature a relationship person but for the time being my current situation restricts me from being able to have a traditional functioning relationship. So until I get that squared away I will not be dating at least not in my town.

• It's not a decision I have made, I just haven't found the girl I want to be with. So for now, I'm gonna wait for her and in the meantime enjoy the journey.

• I'm getting myself together career wise... not in a mental place to be anyone's partner right now.

Once I have my path set, then I will be willing to date someone.

• I am single since i took birth for some of the reasons..

--I do not want to fornicate due to my religious nature..
    --I do not want to destroy life of girls for my lust.
    --There is no environment in my place where i can date without feeling of guilt.
    --Many times when i think to just ask girl for relation then i find there is lot of barrier of caste and religion in my country that there is no scope for relation before marriage..
    --Otherwise i am also happy to be single.
    --The girls which i get attracted are protected under religious barrier.

Certainly i have no choice to make relation before marriage..

• That sucks. It sounds like you live in the middle east. You have two choices, get a wife or leave yor country to one where you can have fun with women without ruining their future. Who knows you might find real love that way.

• @acka72
      Well, I'm from India.. And there are lot barrier comes to convert relation into marriage due to caste and religion.. some times i get attracted towards girls wearing hijab and it impossible to ask them..
      Other girls are having different caste also has barrier to marry person of other caste. But some couple here do mingle and have secret relation but it's like making crime cos it's hidden matter and it makes base of bad marriage.
      I don't want to have complications because very few chances of inter caste marriage.
      I was aware of such things since childhood.. I tried to take admission in Ukraine for medical studies but father stopped me for his selfishness. And now I have very slight chance to move developed country.. Now years are passed and it does not make any hard to live in such conditions because now I'm used of such things and i am grown up and there are no desires of dating as we have in early twenties.

• Because that *insert worst swear word known to man* religion shit created distorted parenting styles for my parents, which were then given to me. I wasn't single by choice, I was born to be single whether I like it or not.

• Most guys don't choose to they simply can't get a girl cause of their looks and personality, most women choose to be single cause they are too picky.

• Because recently there have not been any girls I've been interested in going into a relationships, I'm not just looking for a short term girlfriend, I'm looking for a life partner

• Got burned last time, turned me off chicks for a long time.

Also, I lack social opportunities because of where I live. I don't like living here either and don't want to develop ties here. I live in a city that regularly gets named one of the worst cities in America to live in.

• Mostly because I'm floating on an ice berg in the Antarctic right now

• Because there're too many things in life that are actually important to focus rather than buying expensive chocolates, listening to the sadder Busted albums and feeling sorry for myself all for a small chance to shag someone and then raise a fledgling of kids that'll inevitably hate me after 18 years?

• because of my choice basically

• Lack of deep connection. It's mainly been merely physical. I tend to attract a lot of crazy women that have anger problems, that aren't bright, that have no direction in life and this one is huge; have bitter single female friends that will do nothing but try to sabotage your relationship.

I have personally found that below average (looks wise) women tend to be more loyal, helpful and make a for a better partner.

• More from Guys
    101

What Girls Said 95

• i dont want a relationship right now, nor do i feel i am ready, so I'm not putting myself out there for awhile.

• I just became single today... I broke up with my boyfriend because I wasn't in love with him. I love him but he's not the one I want to live my life with. I know that sounds horrible but I would rather let him go now, have a little pain, find someone who will love him how he should be loved. There were a lot of tears but he will always be my first love and I really hope he finds a great girl who thinks the world of him. I want him to find someone who gives him everything I can't... if anyone deserves to be happy it's him. He is a wonderful person and I was bringing him down and if you love something you set it free. I hope he opens his wings and flies on into the sunset and lives a long life full of unconditional love.

• Because Im in love with the wrong person and haven't been able to get over him in the last 5 years. Also every time I forget him or try to move on, he reappears in my life. He is also very much in love with me but he has a kid and a wife so I keep my distance eventhough we both know we love one another.

I really really need to move on and its funny cause I have never slept with him or done anything stupid. But he is Mr Love Hangover Big Time.

• I am single by choice. Not really looking for a relationship right now because I am trying to focus on my studies so I can graduate next year from high school. And I am also focusing on myself. I had a boyfriend once the relationship was okay but after while no magic was happening. I began to lose myself, and I depended on him way to much. We all make mistakes of course. But something I learned is that you don't need a boyfriend to make you happy. I want to reinvent myself for spring break and for the summer it isn't for attention its just something I want to do for myself. I am single because I want to be right now. I haven't been single in five years and I'm just getting started. I haven't met the right guy in my life yet, and I've only been in one relationship. I'm taking a break from dating for a while so I can work on myself. I probably won't start dating again until I finish high school

• He cheated on me, and he treated me like dirt, he doesn't deserve me at all and he's a huge flirt and a player. So I've decided to be single by choice because I've realized I don't need a boyfriend to make me happy, etc. I don't deserve to be treated like a dog, when I honestly do not ask for a lot in a relationship.

• Well. It's partially because the guys that I like are either aren't interested, they're total jerks when I got to know them, or they're too scared to tell me their feelings. (I'm in the last boat right now... but I'm too scared to tell him my feelings too so I don't blame him.)

• Thats a great question because I was pretty happy being single until recently.
    I would say that at that time, I was single by choice and I was just dating and sleeping around (not a heap) as I pleased, and regaining some confidence in myself that I had perhaps lost during my last relationship.

Then, low and behold - right as I wasn't looking, someone came along and I wouldn't say swept me off my feet, but did enough to have me reconsider my fancy free single life, and whether I wanted to get into something again.

Long story short, that went belly up after a few months and now Im back in the 'I'm single cause the guy I like doesn't like me' boat, wishing that I hadn't given up that comfort I had found in being single.

• aww, i know the feeling but oh well it's his loss!! :)

• Im going to get personal: since i joined the adult industry i learned a lot about men and myself. Ran into a ton of different guys and have heard it all! some very nice ones, losers, perverts, married, committed, religious, personalities but all kinda seemed to have the same mentality? A lot of what men would share with me made me think a lot of my past very few serious relationships that were almost perfect and realized they were lies, a smile to my face and a stab to my back. It was sort of a epiphany i had, i felt taken advantage of and kinda just disgusted and turned off by men still kinda am? Not really? im just so much more aware now. but im realizing that thats just man its his nature to be horny all the time, and pretty much only 90% are faithful honestly no matter how old or what situation they are in lol women kinda have to either deal with it or try to understand how it is. its a little scary, you just never really know who has good intentions towards you. I'll be social and friendly with guys that i meet now but knowing they can't have me and being single makes me desirable;) and that's better then a relationship to me.

• i understand your opinion, I'm like that too lol :)

• I just don't think I ever met anyone who was worth it to me... guys I dated all turned out to be the wrong guy for me.. whenever I go through a breakup I like to take minimum one year for myself.. so I won't talk to any guys I meet during that time.

In addition to that, every time I meet a guy he is usually in a long term relationship or married. I seldom meet single guys. And when I do its usually when I go to a bar... guys my age at bars who are single are usually losers.. the "good" guys are taken.. and I put "good" in quotes because they're good in that they are educated, fun and smart, but they are not loyal. My city is filled with cheaters...

I refuse to settle for someone as I am not desperate either... so that's why I'm single.

I think whether I'm married or single I'll be happy. As long as I have my family, some single friends and my career which allows me to travel, shop and have fun...

• For me it would be because I don't get serious about just any guy. I don't jump into relationships just for the sake of not being single (been there done that doesn't make me feel better about myself). I am also at uni and I said i wouldn't let boys be a distraction (so much for that haha). Also at our age guys can be quite immature and still are in the process of figuring themselves out. I have many guy friends even though I'm single. So I wouldn't say I want to be single but I don't want to be with the wrong person. I respect myself to much to put myself in that situation.

• that's how i feel @Mikaychay95 I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks like that :)

• It's not a bad way to think! I don't know if you ever feel like just going out and getting a bf due to your friends having one and feeling lonely but at the end of the day you will be proud of yourself! At this age guys tend to go for easy girls because it's easier to approach and talk to someone they don't respect. If you respect yourself then they can be intimidated by it and not approach you. They will learn what they do want eventually.

• yes, I agree with you! I don't date anymore, and well I don't date guys my age either, i tend to date older guys :)

• My ex left me because he wanted to live life and sleep with other girls whilst he was young. We both felt we got together at the wrong time. I'm choosing to stay single for a while now.

• I'm sorry but what a jerk! I hope you find someone better :)

• I can't. He was my soul mate and I was his. We hope to try again in future but he's not ready for commitment right now. I know I'm stupid for being stuck on him but I've never been so sure of a guy and I see other guys and think "he's not him". I've never thought that way before, I've never felt so strongly for someone and I've never tried to get an ex back. One night, I had a huge realisation that I couldn't be without him and an overwhelming feeling of loss, something told me that our break up was wrong.

• I don't know. Why is the sky blue? Lol no, I'm single because guys are exasperating and they make my head hurt.

• I'm single because I have high standards and ain't gonna date nobody unless it's the guy I like. 😂😄😎

• I'm single because I realized the person that I loved brought me so much more unhappiness than happiness.

• Because I have issues + I almost never go out except to job interviews and to see my friends...

• I keep thinking I can find somebody better. Every time an opportunity comes along I think to myself: "what if somebody better comes along?" I don't believe in dating multiple people at the same time and I don't believe in dumping one person when a better replacement comes along so I just wait and wait until my perfect guy comes along.

• My gosh I always do that, too.. But is there really a perfect guy? I mean, I may have found him but he's not what I thought I was into at all.. So what now?

• I'm single because I've wanted to be. However, I think I'm ready to experience love.

• I hella weird and too boring for most guys I know. And they bore me right back. I'm "quirky" as I've been told.

I want to be a surgeon! So school is so very important to me. Getting closer to my dream one day at a time! And I frickin love that.

Haven't met someone who actually cares about me. And likes me and not what they want me to be. I feel like an object to boost the guy's ego.

• First is my choice didn't want to date immature and only sexual driven boys. Second the ones I have been interested in lost interest in me, played me, used me or hurt me soooooo yeah kinda sucks balls. Forever alone! -_- lol so be it.

• I don't have time because of my studies and i think i won't focus on university the way i am now if im with someone.

• I'm single because I like being able to do my own thing
    plus I wouldn't be able to date and be in a reletionship cause a reletionship would be hard on me so I dasided to a frieandswithbenifits with a guy on imvu and one other resion why I'm single is because im specilneeds and I don't think there would be guys that weren't specilneeds who would want to date me so that's why I'm single but I'm manly single because I like to do my own thing and I don't have to rely on one person

• Same. I think people take dating too casually sometimes. If I'm giving time, emotion, and effort for a person, I better be wildly and madly in love with them!

Also, I'd have a hard time reaching some of my life goals with the distraction of a guy.

• I just got out of a relationship that didn't end very well (he cheated on me). So I'm staying single by choice at the moment. I don't have the time and energy to invest in a relationship either (I'm a uni student, I have a part time job, I play soccer, I play the cello (in a string quartet and soon an orchestra too), I wanna see my friends, etc.

• Less stress

• Tbh I just haven't been asked out, but even if I was I'm not sure if I would want to, because right now I'm trying to better myself and figure out my life😁

• That's wise. Once I figured out who I was, I just felt like a relationship isn't ad important as I thought. Finding who you are first is great.

• Because I dumped my ex 3 moths ago and am now having fun dating other guys. Not interested in a serious relationship currently at all.

• I not looking for one right now, don't get me wrong sometimes I get lonely and wish I had someone to share experiences with but then I remember that's what friends are for. I'm just 21 a relationship is not my priority right now I rather focus on school, buying my first car and making my school bus turn awesome chic rv a reality

• I have no idea lol :P
    Maybe it's because I haven't found someone right for me. Relationships are damn hard and I don't like the idea of fooling around, being with a guy just because sometimes I get lonely. It can also be because I'm really shy xD
    But I guess like being single, I can do my own thing, have more freedom... not spend money for a guy :P

• haha right? being single is so much fun, except on Valentine's day ahah

• @Gewilson14 ahah I call it, "chocolate day" because is the only day of the year i get to eat chocolate and not care about working out later lol

• @Born_confused i thought i was the only one to watch scary movies on Valentine's day lol

• because i like being single lol, you only have to worry about you. You don't have to tell anyone what you doing or who you are hanging with, and you have more freedom. Sometimes, i do wish i had a boyfriend, but i am not in a rush, i am still young. Plus, i still consider myself to be very irresponsible.

• My husband died 3 years ago and the first man I gave my heart to cheated on me. I like to live alone now because I don't trust.

• I'm single because the man i chose to start a life with wasn't committed anymore. He didn't want me. He wants money and material more than a relationship and if i can't provide any such financial backing then i am worthless to him. He measures success in things and how much others envy him. I am a free spirit. We do not belong together.

• So, im single, but not by my choice. No worries though :)

• I'm sorry to hear that :( You deserve so much better!! I'm pretty sure you'll find your soulmate soon :)

• Lol soul mate, that's funny. I'm happy though. So much to appreciate in life

• My choice just not into it now.

• More from Girls
    65