Is chivalry dead?

Spelt it wrong in the last one 😳 oops
But anyway, do you think it's an old fashioned concept or do you think it still applies to the modern day?

Most Helpful Guy

• i am still chivalrous and romantic...
    it hasn't been working out
    Dead? no, but it has had the shit kicked out of it, thats for sure

• I hope that doesn't ever stop you :) it's rare to find a guy with your views

• Thanks, and I hope you find someone to be chivalrous to, who will accept it.
      And yes, it's still alive but in short supply

• Thanks for the MHO!

What Guys Said 22

• I try to show it, but the fact it happens so little now makes it difficult. You can give up your seat on a train or bus and another man will take it over a woman.

You can open a door for someone and sometimes they don't thank you.

You can offer to help and they think you are mad!

• True! It's taken for granted nower days. But honestly I always say thanks to someone who opens the door for me- even if it doesn't happen often.

• Good manners I meant, but food manners counts too!

• Yeah good point!

• I still apply it to the modern day

• It is in my nature to be chivalrous. I help people without even stopping to consider what is in it for me, I just do it. It angers me when I am nice to someone, say let them step in front of me in a line, and some guy cuts in front of me, it makes me want to deck them.

• As long as I'm around it's not dead. ;D
    Noble Englishmen...
    Just kidding lmao. I do like to flatter people with compliments though.
    If I make them feel good, I feel good about doing so.

• Its an old fashioned concept. Not many ladies around these days most women would have been shunned fifty years ago let alone a few hundred.

• Medieval battle code hasn't been practiced in hundreds of years (the closest modern thing to chivalry would've been bushido that died out after WWII). Since horse Calvary hasn't been used extensively since the First World War, the code of Chivalry wouldn't have much relevance in today's combat.

• Well we could look at women's rights at the height of chilvary and now. I'm sure that they may be a place for it in today's society, but everyone must play their roles

• I agree- it's a two way street

• Chivalry is always alive. Chivalry is like being rich.

Everybody wants it but only a few are good enough to exercise it.

Are you good enough?

• That's a clever way of looking at it. I personally think it's alive, but not as much as it should be.

• Just got to make prince Harry fall in love with me

• Ew, Harry?

• The old codes are dead obviously. But being courteousand respectful certainly isn't.

It's time we stop referring to the latter as the former. They aren't the same.

• Its dead.

But I try to apply and use it

And it gets me shot down

Sad

• it is not dead yet but it is dying, how can a guy be chivalrous if his eyes are stuck to a screen and he has headphones in his ears and the world is passing him by, when it is need for a guy to be chivalrous most of this generation won't even notice whats going on

• That's very true!! It was a lot more common when things were done face to face eg: conversations, dating...

• i am from Ireland, it is not a culture things, there are a few younger people here who are aware of what is going on around them but that is because of the way their parents raise them. but most are not that way, its a new world and it is changing fast, a lot of the old ways are dying, not all a bad thing but some good things being lost

• I absolutely agree, I think it's more to do with how they are brought up.

• you realize chivalry only applied to ladies, right? not all women?

• Women shot chivalry down. It's not dead but its a friendship zone guaranteed behaviour, not attraction. I'm chivalrous but seem to only attract older women (40+) which doesn't help me.

• you can see some of it nowadays, but it's slowly fading away...

• What makes you think every girl deserves chivalry? Cause not all do I will only give to my gf or wife the rest of the women can forget about it. Its dead for a reason cause most women say they respect it and like a man to have it when in reality they don't. Chivalry is taken as a sign of weakness cause its shows kindness.

• I never said every girl deserves chivalry

• Dead. It became useless the day women agreed it was useless.

• i'm thankful that it's dead because it was pretendious and hypocritic in my opinion.

• It's dead in countries where feminism is alive.

• Yes women killed it.

• Are you talking about that good old sexist habit that's been revamped once every decade? If yes, then the fucker's alive! If I catch one, then I'll make sure it will rue the day!

• Girls don't really like that stuff anyway. The can't handle guys who actually treat them well.

• It's becoming less common now that people are insulted/harassed/called sexist and have violence threatened or committed upon those that practice it.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't think it's dead, but you don't see it as much as you used to. There are still some guys out there that try to keep it alive. Pretty hard to do these days.

*my answer from. the first one*

• Thanks for your opinion! I agree with you. I wish more guys did though.

Also thanks for answering twice, Spelling is a pet peeve of mine so I had to do a new one haha.

• I agree! I think if a guy is seen being too romantic or chivalrous then he's branded as being too soft or 'whipped'. But I've found that what divides a man from a boy is how he deals with that

• I absolutely agree. I feel like if that's hlwho you are and how you choose to be, then the opinions of others shouldn't change that.

• No its not but its less common I think

• I don't think so, I know plenty of chivalrous guys, my boyfriend is one :)

• Yes and No.

Feminism has done it's damnedest to put a nail in the coffin of men being men.
    I find that I am less willing to accept "the give up all the things you have for being a male but keep the things you are expected to do when it comes to being chivalrous" idea.
    I have no problem with holding doors open for PEOPLE as a courteous thing to do. But when it comes to holding out your chair, or paying for the meal all the time, or buy flowers/items "just because" I'm expected to.

So aside from doing common courteous things to both genders out of kindness. I do not buy into the "do stuff for women" but don't expect any benefits for being male.