Do women say this just not to sound hypocritical?

You always hear women say "I think the one who asks them out should pay on the first date"

BUT MEN ASK WOMEN OUT 99% OF THE TIME AAAAAAAHHHHHHH

What Girls Said 1

• I think either that could work or you could both pay half. I personally would offer to pay for the whole thing on a date with a guy because I'd feel weird paying half and I'd feel weird if he payed for me. He would really have to insist for me to let him pay. WIth that said, I wouldn't hold it against him completely, but it is important to me that the guy at least offers, which I would too, cause that just shows that you're a considerate, selfless person. Also, like the guy below said, it's really important for the girl to feel like the guy is protective and a provider. Most importantly to me, it shows that he likes me enough to want to pay for me as well.

What Guys Said 1

• This is just my opinion but in the ancient game of dating the male needs to be able to demonstrate to the female he can be a provider because child rearing alone is too hard. I know it sounds strange to even consider children on a first date but if you want to be the main bread-winner in the relationship, paying for the dates is really the only place to start. I believe it subconsciously lets her know that you have your s*** together and can be there for her when needed. And I like to establish that from the beginning. Now consider that I am still unmarried and alone so I am probably completely wrong, or women no longer want that type of man. So, maybe making her pay for it is somehow a good thing.