Is it better to be friends before dating someone or not?

Some people say it is better to date a person you know for a while instead of someone you had just met. Others say it doesn't matter. i met my ex gf 2 weeks before we started dating and dated for 5 years. Although we were young. She was 17 and i was 19.

So the question is, is it better to meet someone become friends with them and then date them after like 4 months or so. or date them within the first month of meeting them?

• it's better to not wait and date him/her within a month
  • its better to be friends for sometime and then date

Most Helpful Girl

• The first guy I dated was completely wrong for me and it ended after a month because we had poor communication and didn't agree on anything. All we had was attraction and we dated before really knowing each other so I think that played a huge part. They guy I am with now has been a friend before we dated for over a year and I can honestly say we just get each other and feel very compatible. We spent lots of time getting to know each other, trusting, accepting and having fun before becoming a couple and all that has changed is that now we can be intimate. I'm much happier and I feel like because we didn't rush into dating, we already feel so much more comfortable being honest and spending time with one another. But some girls are idiots and friend zone a great guy not realizing how amazing dating a caring friend can be. My parents were childhood friends and didn't date until their 20s. They've been through it all together and still love each other.

What Girls Said 1

• I definitely think that you have to build a friendship first, get to know the other person before getting in a relationship.

What Guys Said 3

• I have had two serious long term relationships so far and both started within three weeks of meeting them. I am actually the person who very early on in meeting a girl decides if I have romantic feelings for them or not and then group them in my life accordingly. The only time I fell for someone after I had known them for a long time was when I was dating someone else when we first met, a nd then a few months after my break up I asked this friend out.

• Careful not to fall into the friends trap. Some girls like to separate their male friends from their potential boyfriends

• From my experience as a normal guy,

If you are really good with women, do it asap. This is, of course, a useless statement for guys who are good because they won't need to read any of this.

With declining skill, wait longer and control your urges. The only thing is, do not ever be needy or do too much for the girl. They need to know that they are not getting close to the most you can provide, whether that be emotional, material, or more.