Boyfriend lying about dumb things?

My boyfriend lies about dumb stuff. We live together with his best friend, who is dating my best friend. One night, he said he went to a sports bar when he and his friends went to a strip club instead. He said he lied because he thought I'd be mad. I said Im more angry about the lying and we could have talked about it before he went and I would have been okay. So, he promised not to lie again. A week later, I went to work and he said he was going to bed because he was sick. Turns out, he went to a bar with my best friend, her boyfriend and a few other guy friends. My friend told me about it. She said they just had a few drinks, the guys talked about silly things rhey did when they were kids, went back to my place to watch movies and fell asleep. I've met the people they went to the bar with, and don't have a problem with any of them. I asked the roommate what happened, he gave me the same story as my friend. I confronted my boyfriend, and he gave the same story. I asked why he lied, he got really upset and said he didn't know. He almost started crying. I said him lying makes me think he's doing something he shouldn't, because why else would he hide it? I trust that he isn't cheating. But why is he lying about such silly things? He knows he can hang out with his friends whenever. We are far from being in a controlling relationship, and this is the only problem we have. I just don't get it. Why does he lie about things that he knows I wouldn't be upset about? He gets so upset and says he's afraid I'd leave him. His girlfriend in high school was really controlling, didn't let him go out and cheated on him a lot. Could this by why? Aside from me, she was the only long term relationship he has had. I need help understanding.

Most Helpful Girl

• It seems like he is afraid you will be like his ex. So he is trying to make sure he lies as to not upset you.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• Sound like my bf... most scoprion men are like this so secretive & try to hide behind lies smh... not saying your dealing with a scorpio lol... but i know what you going through.

• Dont try to excuse him, lying is lying and is wrong. You should rethink your whole relationship, is a person who lies to you the one who you want to spend your whole life with? That sounds miserable. Good luck!