So why does everyone think Electronic Dance Music is gay and rock music and rap music is so macho manly?

When I tell people what music I listen to their reaction is usually "oh thats gay music" like wtf how can a sexual orientation be associated with a type of music. And when people say EDM is gay they are implying that it is effeminate or not hardcore enough for "men". But rock music and rap music according to you people is so macho and manly with their degrading and violent lyrics. And the funny thing is despite people calling it "gay" lots of attractive girls go to raves and EDM festivals and raver girls are hotter than those ghetto hoodrats and hipster rock music fans who wear black clothes 24/7 and look bulimic. Plus the EDM community is the most diverse compared to rock which is predominantly black and if you're not black they call you a poser and rock music is predominantly white.

Most Helpful Girl

• electronic dance music is not gay!! i think rap music and some rock music lower IQ points and maybe thats why they think edm is gay. i find guys who listen to ed, very attractive and guys who listen to rap really stupid. music cannot define your sexiallity and its not divides in sexuality either. a straight guy and gay guy could be in love with the same music and there is no difference.

What Girls Said 2

• I think your right, there shouldn't be a sex orientation to music. However, I don't know how to dance "with" a guy to electronic dance. Like at Raves your jumping and just being crazy. But with rap, R&B, and reggaetone you can dance "together". Maybe that's why it comes off as a sexual orientation thing. Though it really shouldn't matter, having fun is what matters.

• Uh that would be a no! The thing I love most about music is that it has no boundaries. Music is not a race or a gender or a sexuality or any of that. Music just is. And it's a beautiful thing.

What Guys Said 6

• the collooquial use of "gay" nowadays isn't intended by most of its users to relate to the sexual orientation of someone/something, its just another way of saying "Nah that sucks."

As for EDM, personally i think it is the same regurgitated shite. I mean for christ's sake just take the year of constant animal-esque tunes following martin garrix's flop onto the scene. If you want an example of everything that is wrong with EDM, have a look at a festival called stereosonic.

As for me, techno is my bible with a sprinkling of disco, house and trance.

Dont get me wrong, every genre has shit songs and every genre has good songs. The problem with EDM is that it was adopted by the commercial music industry and milked till only the cows udders remained.

• That's because the society and most of it's people are messed up.

I'm a huge fan of electronic dance music, especially Hi-NRG and Italo Disco.

• In fact, I enjoy all types of music, from teen pop to brutal heavy metal. Except for rap, though.

• I can get down with all of it, mayne. Good tunes is good tunes. Nothing gay about those girls at the raves, haha.

• So which is it? About rock that is? You say that rock is "predominantly black" and then in the same sentence you say it's "predominantly white." Both of those things can't be true.

• is this the music where people dance with glowsticks? not saying its gay, just asking because I don't know anything about that genre.

• anyways, there isn't a lot of technical difficulty in making electronic music. you just grab and compute, download a program and away you go. you need a turntable or some computerized gizmo, and that costs money but really doesn't take any skill. there is no song being written, there are no real lyrics in it. fake drums and percussion, it's really just limited by imagination.

if electronic music is part of what you do, and not the whole thing, like older Phantogram,... and some St. Vincent. then and you have real songwriting skills than it is another toy to play with, not just some person who couldn't learn to play a real instrument or sing or something.

• who said rap wasn't gay? rollingout.com/.../

rap artists are homophobes meaning they have gay complexes ;)