What is so wrong with dating an older man?

I am 28, he is quite a bit older than I am. I met him while at work, we really hit it off, talk everyday, enjoy each other's jokes, appreciates the others looks, we basically have this huge connection, three years have passed now, we started publicly dating each other and it is a huge issue with the people we work with. They have been talking about it for years now, how well along we get with one another, are they? Aren't they? So now that we made it public to stop all of the gossip, they are talking even more. What is the big deal? I don't see anything wrong with it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nothing is wrong with it, girl! My girlfriend is 20 and I'm 54 (Older than her dad!) and will be getting married soon. Most girls nowadays prefer men older than 35 years at least due to maturity levels. I mean why would girls these days date some immature young guy in today's society? Haha! Keep going with it, because it's very common nowadays! Soon young guys will have to wait until they're 40 to date women, even if they are the same age. ;)

• Whoa! I'm 23 and my guy will be 45 soon and I thought our age difference was pretty weird lol. Congrats. How does her family feel about this?

• I am speaking from personal experience. Not saying I don't love my man but I do see his aches, pains, and age related issues and I hate them! It's just nice to have someone who will be able to keep up. I have nothing against your relationship.

• @ButtHoleSandwich - It seems that you are saying that you enjoy the relationship you have now, but that you realize that it will not last because of his age related issues. So you are treating the relationship as a temporary thing. Which is actually what a lot of young people do anyway, so why not with an older person as long as you two click well. I consider that a good way of looking at the issue. Best of luck to you.

What Guys Said 2

• There is nothing WRONG with it, but it is different and down the road it might cause issues... however if you are aware of them and ok with them, then that is fine. It is your life.

(Issues such as his health when he is older and you are still young, having children, etc.)

• I am aware and accept the issues. He always wanted children, but could never have them. I already have two children and don't want any more.

• then you to go and be happy. Screw the rest. Life is too short to miss out on happiness to please other people.

• I only date young girls so you are fine. age is just a number you can't help who you fall in love with

What Girls Said 6

• You are 28 which means you are a grown woman. If you wanted to date an 80 year old it would be okay. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with dating an older guy, no matter how much older he is. If you like him, then it should be enough.
    The thing , office romances will always spark interest... always. Even if he was your age people would still whisper and speculate about your relationship. On top of that he is a much older guy than you so everyone's probably wondering why you chose him, guys are probably wondering the same thing and probably even feeling a little offended by it too... it sounds ridiculous I know, but people think all type of things.
    My advice to you, hold your head up high and ignore them. You like who you like and that should be enough- don't allow people to dictate who you should and shouldn't date. All the best!

• You are totally right. I know a few of the women there like him and a few of the guys like me. He is a very attractive older man who respects women. I try not to care, he is older, but offers everything that I want in my partner, I just wish they would stop talking. Bored gossip queens.

• I really hope you learn to stop caring about the gossip... if you concentrate on that too much it can really have a negative effect. Other than that, you seem to have the right outlook, more power to you :)

• I think many people just think it's creepy to think that while he may have been 18, you were a baby or in kindergarten.

• I can understand that, but you can't even see his true age, he is in great shape for his age. The ladies in the office do know of course, but still. It's between us, not them.

• Just telling you why people think it's weird.
      Plus if he's old enough to be your dad, people tend to think that's a bit creepy.

• They do.

• I don't think age is an issue... but working with the one you're dating may cause tension later on. Be careful.

• See, we have discussed the job issue. We work in the same office building with different areas. He takes care of the company fleet and it out of the office frequently, I take care of people in their homes, we chat before, occasionally during, and after work. When we are at the office at the same time, we are very professional and just say the "hey, how are you? How is your day going?" And that's it.

• That's not bad then. As long as you aren't around each other 24/7. You don't want to get sick of each other.

• Go for it. I'm 23 and my guy is 44. Who cares about age

• We are a little further apart in age than that.

• Are they? Why aren't you dating them? No, my name is Nate Higgers, yeah people in work always ask about it. I wish I could change it. -_-

• @NateHiggers ah ok gotcha. No worries

• Nothing.. I would do it. You are both at the same place in your lives with a stable income. why not?

• Nothing. Older men are always better than their younger counterparts.