Would you date someone who has/had a mental illness?

If you found out your bf/gf had depression, OCD or an eating disorder, would you continue dating them or would that be a deal breaker?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have depression and anxiety and an eating disorder in my past. I absolutely would not turn down someone because of a mental illness. Because I know what it's like to feel like you're nothing but a broken burden to anyone you come across. And I want to make sure as many people suffering with mental illness as I can reach know that they aren't a burden because of their disorder (s). That being sick does not mean you have to live your life alone.

What Guys Said 6

• I can tolerate manic depression, where the girl isn't always crying and feeling sorry for herself all the time but instead is disturbingly energetic and excitable from time to time. Regular depression would just lead to trouble because I wouldn't be able to shake the discomfort of listening to constant whining and exaggeration and just end up making her worse.

OCD is tolerable, and in fact cute, but she wouldn't want to be around me. My father was heavy sufferer of OCD, and he would slap the crap out of me and my sister for stuff as miniscule as not re-aligning the microwave on the counter when we push the door latch button and it slides back a bit. These days I will deliberately go out of my way to cause minor, harmless disorder like putting knives in the wrong slot in the rack or going and turning the TV just a little bit on the entertainment center or misaligning the coffee table with the couch just to be irritating and laugh at their frustration. It would just stress her out and lead to stupid fights where I'm unable to take her seriously.

Eating disorders? No thanks.

• Being a nurturer, I would see if I can help them.

• Nope probably not

• Depends which mental illness they had. I would definitely give them a chance because living with mental illness is very hard. I can certainty empathize. I would tolerate depression and BPD for sure in a relationship. I don't think I could handle NPD. It would depend on the person and how much I loved them. I'm not sure about other mental illnesses. I can't really say.

• For things like that (except maybe the ocd) they shouldn't be trying to date until they get those issues sorted out. I personally wouldn't. A persons brain matters to me as much as their appearance.

• I think everyone has, or had some type of mental illness at some point. Every single personality trait seems to be an illness now. The fact is that everyone has some emotional scars, and issues that they have to deal with. Excluding all people that have ever had any mental illnesses would basically mean you have decided to be alone forever, which is not something someone that is mentally healthy would decide to do. lol

I think how bad their mental illness effects them and the people around them would be the deciding factor. For example, a little OCD can be annoying, but if someone is really bad, it can pretty much shut down their life.

So would I date someone that has or had some type of mental illness? Yes. It would however depend on how they were dealing with it, and how bad it affected them.

What Girls Said 2

• Can't deal with an eating disorder but anything else is fine. If it's starts messing with me emotionally or mentally I'm out

• There's a mental illness living inside of all of us.