Age gaps in dating, how much is too much? Is there a rule? Does it even matter?

Lets look at it both ways.

For example:
Mid 30's female dating early 20's male
Mid 30's male dating early 20's female

Is it more acceptable the older the couple is? Like 60 years old male dating a 40 years old woman versus a 40 year old man dating a 20 year old girl?

• 0-5 years apart is best
  • 6-10 years apart is too much
  • 10-15 years apart is socially unacceptable
  • Age is just a number, live life and be happy
Please give a reason why you chose what you did in the poll. Curious minds want to know. Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• No more than five years

• Can you give feedback as to why you think that way? Thanks.

• That's my preference. 5 year age difference in either direction makes little difference in maturity, and energy level. Look at it this way, an 80 and 85 year old couple are way more compatible than, say a 60 and a 70 year old one.

What Girls Said 5

• I think age is just a number. I don't see any fault in dating younger people. Sometimes it's socially acceptable for a man to date someone younger while it's frowned upon in some places if a women does it. But keep in mind, I personally think a 10yr gap should do it because as soon as a woman start to have kids they tend to age more physically and catch up with the man. Some of us don't live in a world of celebrities to be able to afford personal trainer and nannies. It's going to be hard to get back in Shape while it may come easy for some. Anyone can also be gifted with maturity. You can be with a 37yr old irresponsible man and be friends with a really intellectual and romantic 18yr old. Some age is does not mean anything, you have to know what you want and what you are looking for in a man.

• I don't think there's a rule because if you both love each other then it shouldn't matter to any one else. As long as your both happy.

• If you're both adults, it doesn't matter.

• My rule pretty much applies to myself only: one year older/younger

• Dated a guy 8 years older when I was 25... I say age doesn't matter, its is more about what you feel comfortable, if the person is gonna make you feel really old or call you childish, then it is not going to work.

What Guys Said 1

• I admit, I don't really consider dating girls more than two years older than me. Mostly I think because women around that age and up are starting to look for more than I currently am. I would date up to 3-5 years younger though, and that will likely expand in both directions as I get older, but not much beyond 8 years...