Does demographic affect interracial relationships more than actual race?

She was in college with me but didn't want me to meet her parents because they wouldn't understand.

I agree. I think what gets instilled in you as a kid regarding what you look for in a mate sticks with you. You'd really have to be of one mind to transcend that. Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would agree with that. I think a interracial relationship would have better chance in a multi cultural area as opposed to single area dominated by one culture for example. Societal pressure is very subtle and a family is most likely to respond within a known set of parameters of their particular demagrophy. There would be the odd family who would think "outside the box" but I would expect them to be the minority.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm in a similar situation, my boyfriend is white and I'm black. My parents had raised their children in the best way they knew and had instilled their values and culture that they brought to Canada with them so it would not be lost. I respect my parents so much for the life they have given me, its just hard to introduce my parents to my boyfriend knowing they would not approve, especially the disappointment, my boyfriend understands this but the more serious we get its becoming harder to keep this secret. we've gone on trips together, he's even asked me to move in with him but I said no because I was afraid of what I would tell my parents. (moving in with your boyfriend unmarried plus he's white and not the same religion... parents would die) I'm 22 and I don't know when ill let go of the hold they have on me? I want to be happy and live my life as I choose but I could never hurt my parents that way.

• I think so. Where I live I see it often. My parents and family wouldn't care as long as the guy respected me and my family.

• Definitely, while I live in a smaller community, I tend to travel to areas with a lot more diversity. My family has made it pretty clear that they would rather I brought home someone of my own color verses loving whom ever I wished.

• I think so, everybody i know from the area I grew up in which was VERY diverse (to the point most kids can understand a few things from a few other languages) and everybody there just dated whoever really.
    Everybody i meet as I grew up and left there and went into the world, the ones who grew up divided and didn't play with other races as often or have as many close friends of other races growing up, they mainly date within their race although some do say they'd be open to other races they still mainly date their own race.

What Guys Said 4

• I live in NYC, interracial dating is the norm. And a beautiful one at that.

• I highly agree. I'm half-Asian and half-White and don't identify with either side. I had much better chances in an area that was very diverse versus and place that was mainly White.

• True. Socioeconomics play a large role too

• No. --------