Is it racist to prefer to date within your race?

I'm just wondering. I mean; some people have preferences but it doesn't mean that they feet prejudice towards a group.

Thanks for answering, just asked to see what the response was. I've seen people be called racist for this in my community and was wondering what others thought on this.

Most Helpful Guy

• Racism according to the dictionary:

noun
    1.
    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.
    2.
    a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3.
    hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

I'll say yes

• If you prefer to date white people "PREFER" how the fuck does that make you racist.

• "a policy [...] based upon [...] discrimination" in other words "prefer to date within your race"

textbook ;/

• @LauraMarx Exactly, and continuing since I currently get flammed by everyone else: [...] usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior. "My own race is better for relationships"

What Guys Said 47

• if you are just more attracted to a certain race over another I don't think there is anything wrong or racist about that... If you aren't into another race based on perceived understandings about that race as a whole it might suggest that you have prejudices towards a race

in general though I say you can't help who you are attracted to

• Nope just your preference JUST LIKE how I prefer Asians LOL

• Is this a joke? Of course it's not racist for preferring to date within your face. Actually, even if you said you ONLY date within your own race, that wouldn't make you RACIST.

I prefer to date within my race and I've been great friends with races other than my own.

• Not necessarily, but often it is.

• as long as you RESPECT other races it isn't.

• I do, I'm against racism of any kind. I just have preferences though when it comes to dating.

• It just simply is racist.

Think about it: something within a person makes them believe that dating outside of a person's race is somehow wrong or not acceptable. At the end of the day you date one person only: a human being's personality is completely independent of what 'race' they 'belong' to.

The fact that someone shuts out an entire genre of people because of preconceived notions on said race means they cannot see past the skin color or cultural heritage, even if the person is attractive and a good person.

• I'll also add that saying it's just preference is in some ways a cop-out instead of a person taking a look deep-down understanding of themselves and understanding why they choose that.

There are men who say they won't date Black women and many women who say they won't date Asian men. It often times is because 'Black women are too manly' or 'Asian men are too feminine', yet there are absolutely attractive people in both areas who could make out to be better partners than the current partners people are dating.

• No, it's called preference

• Some like fat, some like skinny.
    Some like Asian, Some like Spanish.
    I "prefer" latino women, but I'm crazy about a white girl.
    But my opinion on some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen have been Israeli or Indian.
    p. s I am a white guy.
    The fact that you are concerned about looking racist makes you not.
    Don't listen to any bullshit and I hope this makes you feel more comfortable with your natural instincts. : )

• It's just a preference, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

It would only be racist if you felt prejudice towards the other ethnicities.

I for one don't think I would ever date an Asian or Arab woman.

• it depends on what your reason is. Of coarse, most racists today wouldn't say the real reason. They would say that they just find their race more attractive, and since we can't get into their heads, no one can call them out on it. So at the end of the day, it really depends on what is going on in that particular persons head

• As long as you don't write off every man of that race, then no. But if you write off every man of that race, then yes. It's racism.

• It's not racist at all.

• no not at all!
    i love dating mexican girls and italian girls because those are my ethnicity, and i can relate to them on many different levels

• Yeah, I'm in a similar situation.

• haha dont date people from other races if you dont want to, it doesn't make you racist
      i really hate how everyone is so sensitive to races and race related issues now days, it makes everything so complicated

• Yes, I know and agree. Its pretty annoying. I just wanted input from others because people these days are so sensitive to this and I wanted to see the response.

• No you can't change who you are attracted to. On the other hand you may become attracted to a guy from another race because you haven't met him yet.

• No, its not racist its called being a normal living organism. When was the last time you saw a snow leapord molesting a mountain lion?

• I think that was on Animal Planet "After Hours" last week.

• A great leader once said that the color of a mans skin should make as much difference as the color of their eyes. It's ok to have preferences, some people like blue eyes, others green, etc it's when you can't get past that is when you are in trouble

• I guess it is racist to a point, but who cares? I don't care if Asians only want to date Asians or Blacks only want to date Blacks. I'm only attracted to other whites, but that's just the way it is. It's no slight to any other race.

• Nope just a preference we all have

• If it's on physical grounds no. If it's on personality grounds, yes.

• That statement doesn't even make sense lol. How could skin color be anything other than "physical"?

• Exactly. That's the point and that's why my comment makes sense.

• You aren't racist. Anyone that tells you you are is a radical liberal and should probably be thrown in to a mental health facility.

• I live in a very liberal city so that explains it.

• I don't think so. How about if you prefer to date outside your race?

• Date whoever the heck you want just dont be surprised if someone from other ethnicity moves your floor.

• Is it racist? Yes. No. Maybe. Who gives a damn?

The better question is, who died and became dictator of the universe, that they have the right to chastise you for not wanting to date out?

• not racist but it is the reason African-American women are having a much more difficult time in the dating scene compared to their male peers. If you eliminate a large chunk of the population based on skin-tone there's nobody to blame but yourself if you end up dateless and sad.

• Is it offensive to the gays if you want to date the opposite sex? No it is not racist. The only people who say that are fucking idiots.

• is it sexist that i prefer to date females?

• i dont think we really choose who we are attracted to, its usually not a decision made by logic, though i wish it was.

But i do think its a bad idea to discount possible partners of other races, i certainly dont

• its structured around the exploitation of womyn's labour. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

• Yeah it's difficult for us Sane people to understand non sense :)

@lauramarx

• Why do you even feel the need to ask this question?

• Preferences should be seen as just that.. Preferences and nothing more.

• Thats all I heard growing up, and still to this day I hear that logic..

• No its just a preference.

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 17

• I don't think so.

Racism is when you aren't offensive to others. I mean, if you were abusing blacks and Asians that's racism. But not banging your way around the colours isn't in my eyes.

I've never dated outside of my race - partly because I don't know many coloured people, but also where I live is 95% white.

Don't beat yourself up - you're either attracted or you're not. It's usually personality and looks rather than skin colour. :)

• Not at all... i don't see black or chinese as dateable myself, i just don't find it attractive at all, don't listen to people these days who go "Your racist because you won't consider dating people of another culture", they are just being idiots... they know it's not racist... so just ignore them... they can assume what they like about people but at the end of the day we like what we like, i don't see them dating people of another culture... lol.

• Our preferences are informed by our prejudices. Regardless, it depends entirely on the race you're talking about... White people who only want to date other white people are invariably white supremacists. I don't know anything about anybody else.

• No it isn't racist

• No because mod people feel most comfortable dating their own race. But only dating your own race and refusing to even give others a chance is pretty racist

• It just depends on your reasoning.

• No, it's not. Racist is for me when you look other race lower than yours. It's perfectly fine to prefer someone from same race, because it's usually mean that they have same knowledge on cultures, somethings that we're already feeling comfortable with.

• No I don't think so, I have a preference for white guys and my boyfriend is one, but that doesn't mean I have anything against other races, I'm just not as attracted to them

• I don't consider it racist. I don't think of the people of any other race as less human or valuable than people of my race. But I just have no interest in dating them. And I'm entitled to my preferences.

• No no one will get upset as long as your not saying " I don't like you because your this race" or use sterotypes/racism to support your preference instead of attraction.

• No way!! I would say thats unfair to call it racist

• Nope its not racist

• No, it's not.

• No, it's just a preference

• It's mostly racist if you're white apparently. I used get that racist thing a lot too because I once preferred to date in my own race. Now I have a different preference. But, one thing you may notice about these people, is that they themselves have a preference to their own race. But it's okay for them because they aren't white.

• No, it's your personal preference. How can it be racist to not be attracted to someone else? Believing that this is racist goes a bit too far.

• I don't know, I've heard people be called racist at school for this.

• Sorry but I wouldn't enter into a relationship with someone whom I wasn't attracted to just to please others. That's what I mean about believing that this is racist going too far.

• It's racist for you to tell people to date within their race. You do what is best for you, because it's an individual choice.